“nice place to stay”
Review of art'otel budapest

art'otel budapest
Ranked #42 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The location of the Hotel is really beautiful, you can see the Parlament or the Castle from the rooms. The rooms are clean, tasteful and and comfortable, the staff is really kind and helpful. The food was good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Tamas M, Front Office Manager at art'otel budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your review, your feedback is much appreciated.
Best regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were very happy with the amenities at this hotel. It's on the Buda side of the Danube overlooking the Parliament building and within walking distance of the Castle district. We upgraded to a very comfortable and spacious suite on the fifth floor with tremendous views. The hotel has a hip arty vibe as the name suggests but it's unpretentious. The breakfast included in our tariff was plentiful and typical of hotel breakfasts. Staff were helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Depending on your budget ask for a room with either a Castle or River view. If you want to go even...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tamas M, Front Office Manager at art'otel budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Reviewer, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our great location ,our rooms and that you found our staff helpful and polite.
On behalf of our entire staff at art'otel budapest we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is well located on the river and close to transport but a very big negative is the air conditioning which is almost non-existent. Despite being advertised as an air conditioned room, my room had a faint trace of air coming from the vent. After calling reception three times, a technician eventually came up and could do nothing to improve it and advised that this was the best they had in the hotel.

Budapest is a very hot city in summer and it's ridiculous that a hotel would operate like this and offer no respite from the heat.

Unfortunately this offsets all the location benefits of the hotel and makes for an uncomfortable stay for visitors coming in the summer months.

Better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pick a properly air conditioned hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank skyland25
Tamas M, Front Office Manager at art'otel budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear valued Guest, First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com. On behalf of our entire staff here at the art'otel budapest we apologise for the concerns you had about your experience at our hotel.
Our hotel is fully air-conditioned as advertised. It is very unfortunate that the air conditioning system did not function in your room during your stay. I talked personally to the chief maintenance engineer and made sure that the matter was investigated and the fault has been fixed since then. We will do our best to ensure that similar breakdowns do not happen in the future. We would have liked to offer you an alternative room but unfortunately this was not possible as the hotel was fully booked at the time of your visit. We do apologise for the inconvenience this caused to you. We hope that we will be able to provide you with all the comforts you expect from us for your next stay.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel on June 2014, the river view room was amazing (rooms are small but have everything you need in them).
We were offered a special deal for breakfast at the reception which we took, and if you like having breakfast and not just a cup of coffee you should take the deal. kept us on our feet until the late afternoon.
Best thing about the hotel is, it is 3 minute walk away from the Metro station, and if you like walking, it is 5 minutes away from the chain bridge which from there you can get anywhere you want.

In short : Great value for your money.

Room Tip: River view is amazing, although the sun comes up early and might bother you if you like sleeping in.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eliav o
Tamas M, Front Office Manager at art'otel budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear valued Guest,thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here in the art’otel budapest. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the views, the location of the hotel and the breakfast. On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for your visit and hope to see you again when you will be back in Budapest.
Best regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

When I arrived and asked for a room overlooking the Parliament building, the receptionist said I could have one, but it would mean two single beds pushed together instead of a double bed. I opted for the view, which was sensational at night. The standard room was well designed and it had a good use of space. There was plenty of bench space and plugs for recharging electronic devices. There were no tea and coffee making facilities, but I asked for them and got them. In the bathroom, the shower was over the bath and it was easy to do laundry. There was a large mirror and plenty of space for toiletries and a hairdryer and adjustable shaving mirror. Beware of the bottle of water that is in the room and priced at 750HUF. I bought a bigger bottle at the nearby supermarket for 79HUF. There was no wifi access in the rooms, but it was available in the lobby, where there were two computers for guests use. The staff were helpful, but constantly busy. I only had one breakfast there, which was over priced and very ordinary. You could do better locally. The location allowed me to walk to most places.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Parliament building when you check in.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelbugVietnam

Dear Reviewer,we appreciate your review and your personal view of the experiences that you have made at art'otel budapest.
On behalf of our entire team we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at the art'otel for 4 nights to attend a friends wedding in Budapest. We had opted for a room with a balcony facing the Danube and consequently got a great view of the Parliament (which according to me is the most impressive building in Budapest). The room/bathroom itself was small (as compared to the non balcony/non Danube facing rooms which other friends had opted for) but the balcony was a good addition for a morning cup of tea or night cap! The room was otherwise well equipped with a tea kettle, fridge etc and is tastefully decorated.

The hotel is very well located (besides the view) with a tram and metro stop within walking distance as also some nice bars and restaurants. While the Pest side is where the activity may be; it is quite easy to walk across the Chain bridge to the opposite side or the hotel very easily arranges a taxi for wherever one wants to go.

We had breakfast included in our room rate. The spread was very decent although they are strict about closing the buffet at 10:30am and won't let you in even after a minute! There are hot and cold items on the buffet as also eggs to order (which is not displayed but if you ask you will get it!)

Most of the staff was warm and helpful although you shouldn't walk in expecting people falling all over you.

On the whole it was a nice experience staying at this hotel and I would recommend it for those not looking for an over the top luxurious hotel but a comfortable hotel with a very convenient location.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank anujberry

Dear valued Guest, we appreciate your review and your personal view of the experiences that you have made at art'otel budapest. I appreciate the fantastic feedback on our location, on the room, on our breakfast offerings and specially on our staff members.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This Art'Otel could be a great experience.

Blessed by a unique view on the Pest bank of the Danube river, with the Parliament building literally "jumping" in your room, with big french windows, the hotel could offer an amazing experience.
The view of the executive rooms even allows to overlook the fact that in many other features the hotel is average for a 4 stars.
Rooms are large and bright, but the carpet floors has an horrible color and design and is extensively stained.
Bathrooms are also quite large, but look kind of outdated (I'm not a fan of the inox sinks).
Beds are really comfortable, desk is large enough to work comfortably.
There is a 42 inches flat TV on the wall, a features that even some 5 star hotels don't have.
The minibar is well furnished and the prices are kind of fair (around 2 euros for a Coke).
Hangers in the wardrobe are the normal kind and not the stupid anti-theft ones and the safe is large enough for all your belongings and a 13'' laptop.
On the downside the air conditioning was almost not functioning and as usual there were no electrical outlets next to the bed.
Maybe some days hotels managements and designers will understand that we want our phones charging next to our beds.

All together the rooms are fairly nice (at least the executive ones I'm referring to) and in line with a 4 star hotel. And the view makes it a quite unique place. Falling asleep with your windows open overlooking the Parliament was a very nice experience.

Unfortunately it seems that the management is putting a big effort in spoiling the overall experience and making the host feeling like a fool.

The first BIG downside of this hotel is the internet connection.
The hotel clearly claims that there is free wifi throughout the whole building.
Once you connect the first time you realize that it is a scam.
The connection is so slow it is barely usable. It took me 2 minutes and 40 seconds to load the homepage of one of the main Italian newspapers. Trying to book a flight and to pay for it on lufthansa website is a painful and challenging experience.
I went downstairs to clarify the situation (they didn't pick up the phone when I called the reception from my room) and was told that it was normal. Data trasmission (wifi free) works at 512 kbit/s... 512 Kbit/s!!!! Meaning the same speed of a mobile phone before the 3G....
But, of course I could buy an upgrade for 5 euro... Meaning, if I want to be able to navigate properly I needed to spend 5 euros.
In an era where it is already shameful to make costumer pay for internet (Why they don't incorporate the cost in the overall rate of the room???), this kind of behavior is shameful... It is a scam! I think that it is unworthy of a large and honorable hotel chain like Carlson.

The second "scam" is the claim that the hotel has a fitness facility.
It is again clearly stated in their website. Now... we can call fitness center anything I guess... But a room 4x4 meters with no windows, in the basement, with three cardio machines (and no treadmill) where you have nowhere to lay down for some abs... You cannot call it a fitness center with a straight face...

The last issue that indicates a miserable behavior of the management of the hotel is a nice notice that is slipped in a bag where you have your bathrobe and your slippers. By the way, it is a lack of class to leave them bagged on the bed... The notice states that "the bathrobe as well as the slippers" cannot be taken away... Now, no problem for the bathrobe of course... But since when the slippers cannot be taken??? They are mine, for single use... I guess and I hope that they are not recycling them for the next costumer... Therefore, why they have to make such a miserable move to indicate that they cannot be taken? It is not for the value itself of the slippers... But I find unfriendly and bad the message... Very unpleasant.

I understand that for some of you these may be minor flows. But for a person that uses around 50 hotels per year, these are the details that make a costumer feel welcomed and pampered... And they don't cost much. At least honesty doesn't cost much...

The personnel is kind and nice, but remember when you ask for a taxi to specify the company you want. They will try to hook you with a company named Elite Taxi, that most probably will try to scam you. I specifically asked to call a 777.777.777 taxi and they anyway called me an Elite taxi.
Which scammed me by making me pay more then the double of the tariff. I had to call the taxi company to have the driver coming back to me to reimburse me.

So, overall the hotel is averagely nice with some perks. And the view of the rooms facing the Danube is amazing... But the hotel management really tries hard to make your experience a poor one...

Room Tip: You MUST take a room facing the Danube. It is absolutely worth the difference of price. If you canno...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Andesaex
A G, General Manager at art'otel budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and submitting such a detailed review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.com.
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the great views from your room and that you liked most aspects of your room.
I was very disappointed to learn however that you were not satisfied with the speed of the wifi connection we are offering. We recently upgraded our internet services and as you also mentioned we are offering a complimentary 512kb/s connection which is enough for basic activities like checking e-mails, browsing the web, etc. We offer however also a 3 or 5Mb/s connection as an upgrade which allows our guests even streaming and downloading media files if needed.
Also in all bedrooms the TVs are fitted with high speed internet access features at no additional charges.
Regarding our fitness facilities it is equiped with 3 machines with one offering a combination of 12 exercises and is also equipped with a sauna and steam room, which gives the opportunity to our guests to relax or work out after a busy day in the city.
Lastly I would like to apologise for the issues you had with the taxi driver overcharging the fare. This shouldn't have happened as recently all Budapest taxis had been regulated by law to use the same set fare with no exception. Therefore all taxis are charging the same fare including Elite taxi. I am really glad that you had managed to contact the company and get the reimbursment from the driver, I will also follow up on this issue to ensure that it won't happen again.
Once again I appreciate your detailed feedback and thank you for staying with us while you visited Budapest.

Kind regards