“Nice hotel, not far from Fisherman's Bastion”

Mercure Budapest Buda
Ranked #121 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Perth, Australia
“Nice hotel, not far from Fisherman's Bastion”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here as part of a tour.

The hotel seems to be popular with tour groups as there were 2 other tour groups staying her at the same time.

The hotel is not in the city centre, however is close to Fisherman's Bastion and Chain Bridge, and you can walk to the other side of the bridge (Pest) for shopping in 20 minutes.

Whilst there aren't cafés or restaurants nearby, there is a cheap supermarket directly behind the hotel and the supermarket allows you to pay in Euro.

I ate in the hotel for breakfast and dinner, and the goulash soup for dinner was delicious and reasonable at HUF2190 (approx 7 Euro). Breakfast is ample as well.

Room is standard and ensuite is a tad small, all works well.

Staff were wonderful - I had a minor issue (bed hadn't been made properly on arrival, mattress was exposed), and they were very apologetic and happy to fix it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KylieIsTravelling
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear KylieIsTravelling,

Many thanks for the nice words which you posted to TripAdvisor. We are very glad to read your positive remarks regarding your stay in our hotel; we will share them with our team. We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

A. Nagy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Recently, while holidaying in Hungary, I had opportunity to stay in Hotel Mercure Budapest Buda. Having had a pleasant stay in a Mercure property earlier at Paris, I was looking forward to similar experience here. I could not have been more wrong. Hotel looks impressive from outside but the rooms are rather cramped. It was a rather warm afternoon when we checked in. I found AC not working. Upon taking up the matter with reception, I was told, rather rudely, that hotel's AC plant was malfunctioning! I then requested the lady manning the reception to allow us to open the window (It could be opened only partially, as it was locked for full open). To my surprise, I was told that I would have to give a written undertaking that for any mishap (due to opening of window), I would not hold the hotel responsible!. When dug deeper, she informed that few months ago, a guest's laptop had fallen (how?) from the open window and he had created a ruckus! She also added that it was sufficiently cold outside and no AC was needed. So window stayed only partially opened. Fortunately, weather turned cooler and we could sleep somehow.

Room Tip: There are better 4 star hotels in Budpest in more convenient locations.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Varshago
Dear Varshago,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your full expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

A. Nagy

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a standard hotel, and is apparently popular with tour groups, as there seemed to always be a big bus loading or unloading when I came and went. The room is a standard hotel room, nothing especially good or bad. The location is right next to a subway / rail station, so you can easily get to other things, but there is very little in the way of cafes and shops within walking distance - you have you take the subway across the river, or climb about 500 steps up the hill to the Castle District.

Customer service was not great: I requested a wake up call for the morning I was set to leave, since my driver was picking me up at 5:30AM. I got no wake up call, and when I mentioned it to the desk clerk when I checked out, his response was that since I was awake, it was no problem. Good thing they were my backup for the alarm, and that I was awake anyway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Shari V
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Shari V,

We thank you for your comments. Your remarks are important to us and will enable us to improve the quality of our offer and services in a matter to satisfy our guests' needs and expectations. I already shared your feedback with my Team and made the necessary steps to prevent such an inconvenience in the future. We sincerely hope to see you back in our hotel.

With best regards,
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel looks outside new and clean but the room we stayed in was disappoitment. The room was non-smoking but there was clear smell of tobacco the entire time we stayed there (4 nights). Airing the room didn't help. We had to wash and air our clothes after we came home to get the smell off. The bathroom was pretty bad. The tub clogged couple times and the shower had low water pressure. The interior was otherwise average. The location was pretty good. Walking distance to chain bridge.

I wouldn't stay there again. For 40? per night there has to be better options.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Not quite the 4 star it boasts but very pleasant. Staff extremely helpful. Breakfast expensive & not very hot - later found breakfast in Lobby Bar - cheaper and better value eg fresh orange juice not squash. Very near to Metro line and good transport links. Room overlooking Castle - rear of hotel backs on to station. Have seen reviews saying rooms are noisy - can't comment as use earplugs. However, room was very hot and stuffy even with air on. Would recommend for its transport links.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Janehelen2013,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your stay in our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Among the advantages of our hotel there is the good location, the helpful staff. Thank you for your remark again and we sincerely hope to see you back in our hotel in the near future.

Best regards
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a good hotel with the metro located very close to the hotel. Receptionist were helpful although some of them could be more friendly. I noticed two employees who were just inside the hotel standing. They should be greeting the tourist but they were busy talking to each other. The room are pretty good but we noticed that the room temperature must be centrally regulated since it is much warmer at night in the rooms and they pump cooler air around 0630. Breakfast is adequate with decent buffet. They refilled the breakfast better today compared to yesterday. Will definitely stay in this hotel gain.

Room Tip: Very close to the metro lines and only 4 stops to the Pest center.easy to come back since this is th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Teresa20002014
Dear Teresa20002014,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments on your stay with us at Mercure Buda. We are all delighted that the hotel met your expectations and that you had a great time with us in Budapest. We hope to welcome you back soon.