“very nice place”

Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge
Ranked #23 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 1 December 2011

very nice amazing hotel with big rooms, nice staff
the bar is nice, the breakfast is full of choices and the plane in the lobby is amazing
the only bad point of this hotel is that internet is not free in the room

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 December 2011

High level hotel with unique design.
Structure is such that the rooms are surrounding a huge hall up to the top. So the corridors are all exposed.
A real luxury hotel with one huge great benefit (for specific people) which is the Gluten free awareness.
Gluten free dishes in breakfast are marked (there are plenty).
You can also ask for Gluten Free bread and you will get a small basket with a variety of GF toast and buns. I couldn't be happier when I find out I can eat my breakfast at a hotel with fresh bread!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Asafpld
Reviewed 29 November 2011

It was at night when my friends and I wanted to have a drink at a bar which can offer views of the famous Chain Bridge. We were deciding between enjoying it at the InterContinental or the Sofitel. This may be a bias review but I believe many would agree that the hotel looks really bad with the pink lights shining up the facade during the night, not switching it off during the day and at the same time, it looks run down and bad - very old, not even worth a star.

We went in to ask the Front Desk if they had a bar around (high or low floor) that can offer the best view of the Chain Bridge. The story begins here.

I approached this male receptionist wearing spectacles. He looks middle-aged and came forward only after standing there for a few minutes waiting for someone to assist me. The first impression was gone because of the facade and then the Front Desk associates chatting away and ignored me. FINE. When I asked him for assistance, he look at up from top to toe, judging me from the way I dressed and my age. I am a student and was having a trip with my friends by the way.

When I popped him the question if any bars around the hotel can offer us the best place to have drinks and enjoy the view, he simply told me that I could go anywhere, even outside the hotel. I got rather mad because I did not think that as a joke! Then I asked the same question again, thinking that he may not have heard me clearly. So he went to his female colleague and I repeated my question again.

She happily told me that there is one at the CLUB lounge at that I have to be a guest and only an exclusive number of people can enjoy it. She even mentioned about the room floor which I have to stay at in order to enjoy that kind of a privilege. She again repeated to me that I have to stay with them and that only an exclusive number of people can go up. She even mentioned that I have no access to go up without even asking me beforehand if I am staying with the hotel. I asked if I could go to the bar located at the lobby level, she did not even recommend or encourage me to go but kept repeating about the exclusivity of the club lounge which is available to that "privileged" few. All this happened without asking if I am an in-house guest. And again, she looked at me as if I could not afford a drink at the hotel and needless to say a night at the hotel.

I am truly traumatised by the Accor luxury Sofitel brand which is not what they claim to be. They look at how you dress and your age to serve you. The was continued from the bad experience at Sofitel Vienna. Both claim to be five star offering superb excellent service but I think otherwise. They are the most horrible hotels I have been to. My friends and I promise never to step into any Sofitel anymore because twice in a row, we experienced the worst of a "luxury" hotel. What a shame with all the claims and branding campaigns.

Never ever choose this hotel. I would highly recommend the InterContinental or Le Meridien because they are so much better than this. Sofitel is nothing, nothing at all.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
18  Thank weihao07
Laurent_Betourne, General Manager at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your feedback about your stay in Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge.

Your feedback is very important for us to improve our service and make our guest stay unforgettable.

Based on your comments, we would like to take this opportunity to ensure you that these would serve as a base for further improvement of our hotel services.

I hope we can welcome you soon in Sofitel Budapest and make your stay "magnifique" from the beginning to the end.

Regards,

Laurent Betourne

Reviewed 29 November 2011

I wanted to celebrate my husband's birthday in a special way this year and Sofitel helped us have a wonderful experience. The hotel is really nice and the view we had from our room towards the Danube was splendid, especially at night. The room was clean and the food delicious/ We had to wait for a while at the check-in, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. We will return for sure at Sofitel!

Room Tip: Choose a room that has view towards the Danube as it is beautiful
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Travelled with husband and two friends for a long weekend in Budapest. We got a very good deal from Jet2.com and arrived at our hotel which is right on the River Danube. On entering the hotel one is immediately taken with the large atrium with glass lifts, reception with the sparkling lights over the desks and the very subtle lighting throughout. Suspended high into the atrium is an old fashioned plane constructed from wood which during the evening is very cleverly lit to enhance the lighting over each bedroom door. We were escorted to our rooms and given lots of advice on what to see over the following few days. The rooms were spacious with a large kingsize bed and wonderful 3 door wardrobe and bedside cabinets all in art deco style. T.v., safe, coffee maker and ketttle were all available along with a mini bar. The bathroom had a shower cubicle along with a shower over the bath. Our rooms were on the 8th floor overlooking the river with the most fabulous views of Buda and all the atractions that are there including the Castle which was right opposite our bedroom and the Chain Bridge to our right. The hotel is a 5 star and the breakfast available consists of everything you could think of for breadfast including a sparkling wine, however was slightly expensive at 27 euros each.
The hotel was in pristine condition whatever time of day or night we were in it.
Budapest is a wonderful city with the most amazing archiecture. The people are friendly and facilities are all accessible. Weather was cold and misty but no snow or rain.

All in all a great short break with our dear friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a River view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Asp a room with view for the river and bridge. Breakfast is amazing. We had some trouble with the Service until the hotel Manager took over our quest and solve the our problem. The Sofitel taxis services are efficient and classy in its black Mercedes-Benz, but costs twice the regular prices. Forniture is gentting old.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I was quite disappointed with the Sofitel in Budapest. The room was very small and only had a skylight, therefore absolutely no view. When we asked the concierge for a recommendation in the old city for breakfast/lunch, she said "just walk around and you find something nice". The service and the room were below expectations and especially value for money was very poor.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business