“Great hotel, beautiful city”

Ranked #23 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
leeds
“Great hotel, beautiful city”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Great position by Chain Bridge. Friendly helpful staff, starting with arrival (we were upgraded) right through to checkout. The room was gorgeous with the best bed ever and views over the Bridge. We were given great advice on where to eat

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Philippe_Godard, General Manager at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback about your experiences in our hotel. We are happy to read that we could offer you such a memorable and pleasant stay, and we really appreciate your review about the work of the staff. We do hope that the view from your room was as amazing as possible and that you could taste some really delicious dishes as well.
We are waiting you back in Budapest, until then we wish all the best!

Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is located in a very good location and is within walking distance to many attractions. We found the service at the hotel to be impeccable. The concierge desk helped us with many requests and were very helpful. The spa/pool area is very nice. The only thing preventing this hotel from receiving a five is that the rooms are starting to look a little 'tired'.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure for us to read that you enjoyed your stay here in Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge and that you were satisfied with the excellent location of the hotel. We gladly hear that the Concierge service has met your expectations, I hope you got valuable recommendations from them.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the room, we will forward it to the Management team as every guest review is important for us to offer luxurious services further on.
We are waiting the next time you can visit us!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay at The Sofitel in Budapest. The standard is still exceptional. Very efficient, helpful and friendly staff, comfortable beds, pillow menus and fantastic breakfast. The icing on the top is the view of the Danube, the castle and the lovely chain bridge. Worth paying a bit more for the view. It is my hotel of choice in Budapest and I have sent my friends and family their way when they are in Budapest.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank anab85
Philippe_Godard, General Manager at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read that you have spent a very pleasant stay in our hotel again and have found the services still fantastic.
I gladly hear that you liked the Pillow menu selection, we hope that your nights were outstandingly comfortable.
We are waiting the next time you can visit us as we hope to welcome your friends and family as well in Budapest!

London
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is walking distance to the chain bridge, the main shopping/restaurant area (Vaci Utca street), and the Basilica. I found that the restaurants around the Basilica were better than the ones in Vaci Utca. If you like the opera, or even if you don't, please book tickets to the Hungarian Opera House the place is amazing and tickets are cheap, I had second row seats, in the middle for £30. Also if you like wine you must go to DiVino, recommended by the hotel concierge, also near the Basilica, you pay a deposit of 500HUF for the glass which you get back when you return it before you go, good atmosphere, nice music not too loud.
If I go back to Budapest I'll definitely stay at the Sofitel again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback you provided us and other Tripadvisor readers.
We are contented that you are satisfied with the fantastic location of the hotel and found the recommendation of our Concierge as a rewarding one. We also think that it is worth to see the famous Opera House which is one of the most amazing sights of the Capital.
We hope that you are planning to visit Budapest again in the near future and we can welcome you back!

New York
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Two older ladies I was travelling with stayed here recently. Six months ago, they booked a twin room with a river view. When they arrived after 27 hrs of travel time, they were first told to come back at 2pm because their room wasn't ready. (It was 11:30.) Fine, but they were kind of rude about it.

Then, at 2pm they were told that no twin rooms were available (much less with a river view), and the front-desk staff tried to get them to agree to take a room with a "king-size" bed. This was no king-size bed ... it was barely queen-size. Back to the front desk to be firmer. This time, they got things right: an upgrade to a two-room suite with an absolutely gorgeous view of the river. But it wasn't the right way for these ladies to start their holiday, and a luxury hotel should not treat guests this way, even if the Prudential Malaysia convention was taking place at the same time. (This is, we think, where all the twin rooms went.)

Then, shortly before checking out two days later, they had a problem with the room safe, and they were spoken to very rudely by a member of staff (hotel manager: I can provide you the name if you wish). This man basically jumped to the conclusion that they had a safe operated by a credit-card rather than by a PIN code. (Rooms in this hotel apparently have both types of room safe.) He brusquely told them, "You would know this if you had read the manual." What the heck?

These ladies were polite throughout all of their interactions with the hotel staff -- this was not a case of two "drama queens" with unrealistic expectations. In fact, I think they were far nicer to the staff than was warranted under the circumstances! The only reason I haven't given the Sofitel one star is because the upgrade to the suite was a nice touch and was well handled by the two female staff members who took it upon themselves to get it right.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank ValueValueValue
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed here for 5 days with a group of friends and was very happy that the hotel through a very helpful Lady Ms Agnes Torok accommodated me by upgrading my room to a luxury room at the top floor - room 815 - which was one of the best rooms with the excellent view towards the Chain bridge, the Danube river and great Buda castles and magnificent buildings. It was such an amazing view in mornings to see the surroundings from the room window as sun shines, the boats sail through the river and the tram stroll through the streets down there in between beautiful blooming colorful flowers since it was the beginning of spring time. It was even more amazing at evenings to see the lights of the bridge and from the buildings up the hill across the river. Very romantic, soothing and unforgettable. I always kept all my window curtains open all night long to see those excellent calendar-alike view.
The hotel service was also excellent with very helpful staffs from top to bottom although some of them only speak their local language and couldn't understand English. We can always communicate with Tarzan style, using our body language :D and will promptly get what we need. I absolutely recommend Sofitel Budapest as the right place to stay!

Some things to note about the city of Budapest, (1). if you are a female tourist, never walk alone or even just 3 ladies after 8-9 pm because it's quite scary since the shops are closing down around those times. My friends were once stalked by a man but luckily they run into some male friends on the way and the stalker left right away. It's better to leave your passport and valuables on safe deposit box at the hotel. (2). If you leave the country by train like myself, either prepare to pick up all of your own luggage by yourself into the train or prepare at least 5 euro since the Keleti (the name of the main station) porter did not want to accept their own (Hungarian Forint) currency and did not want to accept less than 5 euro. (3). The prices for shopping are much cheaper than other countries I visited afterwards (Germany, Austria and Switzerland). The best price for souvenirs is in the Central Market Hall. You also have to make a bargain sometimes, ask "final price, how much?". Always ask nicely, as they may give you 30% less than what they offered.

Room Tip: Choose those of X10 to X18 on each floor. X is the floor number. For example room 610 on the 6th flo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are really happy to hear that you were amazed by the magnificent view from your room and that you enjoyed every minute looking at the river Danube, the Chain Bridge and the Castle District in Buda. We hope that you have gained everlasting and pleasant memories from the Hungarian capital and from the hotel itself which will accompany you in your life.
Thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Budapest and we wish all the best for you!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed four nights at Sofitel Chain Bridge Budapest. The lobby is huge with several cozy sitting places. I was on my office yearly gathering, an appreciation award for us, the employees. We checked-in a bit late that night since our trip was quite long and we directly go for a city tour as soon as our flight landed.
As I entered the room, my friend's bag was already there although mine was still missing somewhere. I reported to the Lost and Found Dept at the airport. I told reception that my luggage was to be delivered from the airport. The reception man told me that they would follow up and took care of it I was astonished by the view from our window which is the icon of Budapest, The Chain Bridge at night with it's beautiful lighting and overlooking Danube River. I got a lower floor but it's okay.. I still get the view. We can even manage to take pictures from the window.
Location is perfect where most of the five stars are, and close to 24 hours Convenience Store as well as Vatchi Street where all the fashion stores assembled. It's about a kilometre away from Andrassy St, the place of the high-ends. It is also four minutes walk to Pier 6 where we had a Dinner Cruise along Danube River.
Service was great, breakfast is good although not quite a wide variety of choices, I think it's due to the limitation required by our company for the big group. Overall it was great.
Every morning call at 5.30 AM were well-managed by the Guest Services to each of our (maybe) around hundred rooms occupied by our group. They even gave the effort to knock my door because I didn't pick up the phone. Sorry, I was still sleepy and exhausted.
Bathroom is small with bath tub only but very clean with Lanvin amenities and fresh clean towels.
My luggage finally reach my room at 5.30 PM the next day after being flown from Frankfurt. Sofitel did a good job. They had it kept safely until I was back in the hotel and brought it up to my room.
The bed and pillow was special, it felt very comfortable to sleep on.
To make it brief, it was a very pleasant stay at Sofitel. It is a highly recommended place.
My suggestion is Sofitel needs a touch of refurbishment for the room interior which looks old, bathroom is very small and my room's air condition was not cold at all. I think you need to fix that.
However, it was a pleasant stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Philippe_Godard, General Manager at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted about your positive feedback you provided us with.
It is a pleasure to hear that you liked the design and outfit of the hotel inside and thought as a cozy one as well as we were more than glad to read that you were satisfied with our comfortable rooms and with the bed.
We handle every guest feedback seriously so we will forward your pleasant experiences about the staff's work to the Management team and to the Sofitel Ambassadors.
We sincerely hope that you gained nice memories here and we can welcome you back again in the future!