“Great location, attentive helpful staff, thoroughly recommend it.”

Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge
Ranked #24 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Bedford
“Great location, attentive helpful staff, thoroughly recommend it.”
Reviewed 12 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel for our wedding anniversary treat. Being right on the river front, the location was fabulous. We booked a room with a river view, and we were given a room on the 6th floor, so the view was lovely. The bedroom and en-suite were nice and clean, and the bed very comfortable. At 27 euros per person per nite, we had not booked breakfast, but were offered entry to the 'executive club lounge' at 50 euros between us per day - this included a continental breakfast and drinks and snacks all day - so we thought this was a good offer. The views from the executive club lounge were stunning, and it was very peaceful, with an attentive attendant to answer any queries as well as help you with the deliscious drinks, breakfast and snacks. I would thoroughly recommend this option - the hotel is central enough to nip back to it throughout the day and so we only bought evening meals while we were there, using the executive club lounge the rest of the time. One of the attendants was even kind enough to translate and write out a Hungarian recipie for me! We ate in the restaurant a couple of times - the 'french onion soup' and 'Brassoi Pecseyne' were absolutely deliscious, the atmosphere relaxing and friendly and the service very good. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful too, as were all the staff we came into contact with. During our weekend, we even received a free bottle of bubbly to help us celebrate our anniversary - which was very much appreciated. If I had to try and suggest something they could improve on, the only thing I could mention is that a few more english speaking channels on the TV would have been nice (i'm not very interested in eurosport and the news channel), though of course there are films available to purchase, if you want to splash out. But, for me, this was the only very small thing lacking in this fantastic hotel - and we were out exploring Budapest most of the time anyway.
We went on a city tour - not the one with the red brochure that has a booth outside the hotel opposite, but the '5 in 1' package (orange borchure) which sets off from 'Deak Square'. For only slightly more money, this included two 1 hour river cruises (1 at night), and a book full of discount vouchers, several of which we used throughout our stay. We thought it was very good. We went to see an opera and also a concert in the Basillica. Both were fantastic, but if you had to choose just one, I would say the opera is better value for money. We also went to the Szecheyni Baths - an amazing place - but watch out for the acid bath - it sent my lycra costume into rapid deterioration!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ruthie2000
SofitelBudapestGR, The Management at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this review, 24 June 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location, the view from your room and the comfort of our beds. We are also very happy about the fact, that you were satisfied with the service at our Executive Lounge and the Paris Budapest Bar.
We appreciate your remarks regarding the English TV channels offered in the rooms. As a management team we take all comments very seriously and share them with our staff, so we may improve our facilities and services.
Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

The Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,138)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Trier
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I will never forget my 30th birthday that we celebrated at Sofitel. We got a nice apartment with a view to Danube.
It was stunning. Budapest is a great town and Sofitel fits to this environment very well.
Definately the best location. The dedicated staff made our stay there. The only mistake it had is that the time
was passing by so quickly. I wish we could stay longer.
This message goes to all men, if you want to treat your wife, Sofitel is the place to go.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at the Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge. It was nice to hear that enjoyed the celebration of your 30th birthday with us and that you were satisfied with our location, your room and the staff. We work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special – we are very glad that we succeeded.

Your sincerely,

The Hotel Management
London
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Positives
Location - cant be beaten. Most attractions walking distance.
Rooms - Good size, with very great views!
Staff - most were v helpful. Beware of the concierge though, he/she will fogg you with restraunts/bar tips where the hotel gets commission from

Negatives
Restraunt/bar - Exepensive! Cheaper/better alternatives outside the hotel

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston, USA
Reviewed 1 April 2009

This was a wonderful 5-star hotel. The lobby is immaculate. Our room was huge and so was the bed. It was the best deal we had in terms of value for the money from all our European travels. We had dinner one night at their restaurant and it was good. They have an open kitchen so you can see the chef cooking. It was a nice atmosphere. We did not have breakfast there (it was expensive) but it looked really good.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vero_PK
california
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I relied so heavily on trip advisor when I was choosing our hotel, so I thought I would 'give back' to the community.
Location: Great, cannot ask for anything better. The adjacent hotels are Four Seasons, Intercontinental, and Marriot. They are the only ones on the Pest side with the Danube river view and proximity to the Chain Bridge, Parliament.
Rooms and Service: I was a bit surprised by the size of our 'suite'. The bellman assured me that it was a suite, and after 26-28 hour travel I didn't want to press the issue with the front desk and move. The room was very clean; beds and pillows very comfortable, bathroom spotless, marble floors, separate shower and bathtub (a 4 station radio installed in the wall for your listening enjoyment). We stayed on the top (8th) floor and had the most amazing view of the Buda Castle, Danube River, and Parliament. It was AMAZING. Our package included the usage of the lounge, which was great. It was open for breakfast, served snacks through lunch, more for dinner with addition of wine. The food there was good, the one at the Cafe Paris where we had dinner (restaurant downstairs), average, wouldn’t recommend. The hotel staff at the lounge was great, very, very nice. The other hotel staff was very friendly and helpful as well. Overall, a good hotel. The service and lounge made up for the 'suite' mix up.
Etc: We used zone taxi out of the airport. The stand is right outside as you exit the terminal, and they have set rates for the city. By the way, make sure you mention the rate you got getting into the city, because on the way back we would've been charged double that. The city is beautiful; we walked a lot, but also took 2 city tours. I can't remember the agency, but they are located inside of the Intercontinental (which is across the street), I would recommend them. Oh, and I have to mention, Cafe Kor, I've read mixed reviews, but have to say our lunch was exceptionally good. We didn't have reservations, but happened to be near it after visiting the Basilica, we were sited right away (the place was full, and I saw several couples turned away later), the food very good quality and delicious. It might have actually been the best meal of the trip!!! I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexandra0
SofitelBudapest, Guest Relation Manager at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this review, 1 April 2009
Dear Alexandra0,

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel. We hope to welcome you again in Budapest.
Kind regards,
Sofitel Budapest Team
Czech Republic
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Hi there,
the hotel has magnifical location, great view especially in the evening, it is really amazing:)
I was truly impressed. My trip was unfortunately short so I only had an opportunity to go to the restaurant, which is trendy and cool. I appreciated professional service very much. Wish I could have tried the swimming pool.
The room was cosy and I had Danube view. The nespresso coffee machine saved me from dying of lack of energy :) I´ll definitely come again:)
Andrea

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Pau
Reviewed 25 March 2009

The Sofitel is the best view of all in Budapest, facing the castle, the chain bridge, and the gresham palace, in the evening this is the most beautiful view, the inside of the hotel is just impressive, this atrium building bring all his dimension with a Crystal fountain and an airplane fully lighted in pink,
the room are big enough and if you have a Danub view it is just perfect, at last having a drink in the bar facing the castle is a must...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business