“Great location, club access a must”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #27 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 21 October 2011

My husband stayed here for four nights. The location is perfect for walking to most sites. Comments about the reception area and restaurant being smokey are true. This is a problem in many europeon countries. I would strongly recommend paying for club access and foregoing a room with a view. The club has the view as well as a great breakfast, afternoon snacks and happy hour with hot and cold food that can easily be dinner. And, it is no smoking as well as a quiet place to relax and read when you want to take a break. Wifi is free with lounge access only. Several computers are also available for guests.

The only complaint I have with the hotel is that the room doors slam when closing. I realize this is a common problem with most hotels, but it disturbs an otherwise quiet comfortable sleep.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Diane B
miloscerovic, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2011

Dear Diane B
Thank you for the great feedback. I certainly agree with you that Club Lounge really enhances experience in the hotel and i would strongly recommend it for all. On a side note, we will look into your comment about the doors and hopefully resolve that issue in no time.
With my very best regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Great Location but reception can be very smokey. We took my inlaws there for a night and had a suite with an additional adjoining bedroom. Great views over the danube.

When I've been there on business I've ordered room service but this is really not very good (cold food, poor quality). There are plenty of restaurants nearby.

Once on arrival, my (upgraded) suite was not ready for me so they put me in the Presidential Suite - that was an excellent experience and, as I had an advance rate, very cheap, only cost Euro80!

So this hotel will always be one of my favourites :-)

Room Tip: Riverview room is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank canoepunkie

Dear ebookpunkie
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that we are one of your favourite hotels. Please know that as of January 1st, smoking will not be allowed in Budapest caffes, restaurants etc. With that said, lobby bar will not be allowing smoking inside. Good news for non smokers :) (including myself).

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Great location on Danube near Chain Bridge. First rate concierge service. Fabulous breakfast spread. Large comfortable room. My only complaint was their exorbitant 10 euro per hour internet access charge, which I declined, since a 5 minute walk took one to a McDonald's with free access.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Desert_Eagles

Dear Desert_Eagles
Thank you for your positive review. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Best regards,

Reviewed 11 October 2011

We recently spent four nights at the Intercontinental Budapest following a Danube cruise. This hotel is in a wonderful location, riverside with a fabulous view across the river to the Buda hills and the Chain Bridge. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and even though we were only on the second floor (or 3rd floor in North American terms), street noise did not present a problem. We did try several of the local restaurants, but on the last night enjoyed a dinner on the terrace (which I understand was closing for the season a few days later). The food was surprisingly good, service was excellent and the view again was wonderful. The hotel was well located, in a good area, within walking distance of many of the major attractions. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Staying on riverside is a must!!!!!

Dear 16canuck
Thank you for your review. The terrace is only a seasonal outlet and it depends heavily on weather condition. As it became cold outside, we closed the terrace as of las week. I am happy to hear that you managed to experience the great views from there and also to enjoy your dinner.
All the best,

Reviewed 6 October 2011

Location is superb, fortunately our room had a fantastic view of the Danube and Palace across the way. At night, it was breathtaking. Hotel is really suited more for the business traveler a step back into the '70's. Room was nice and comfortable, small bathroom. Close restaurants on the water. One complaint was directions to the Hotel provided on their website. It stated the wrong train station to arrive in (there is only one downtown, the Kelenti terminal), how much a cab would cost (they state 25 Euros) in reality its only about 9 Euros, which hurt negotiating with taxi drivers (I was clipped for 15, thinking I was getting a good deal). Other gripe was charging for internet service, I think about 6 Euros for 15 minutes. Also, look out for the Budapest hotel and tourism tax...about 25%. Fighting through all this, it was still an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Request a view of the Danube...well worth it.
1  Thank bhawknine

Dear bhawknine
Thank you for the positive feedback. With regards to the taxi charges, we can only guarantee you the price for our hotel, Mercedes E class service as it is the only one we can rely to. We are happy to offer and organize other city taxis but as you mentioned in your post, the prices vary and the service is not consistent. I am glad you found the hotel and our services very pleasant.
With best regards,

Reviewed 6 October 2011

My time in Budapest was very short (just 1 day), but what made seeing the city easier in such a condensed amount of time was the fact that the Intercontinental is perfectly located in easy walking distance from the main sights. In fact, I think this is a perfect city for walking around - cross the bridge and take the funicular up to the Castle district.

Somewhat smallish rooms, but comfortable. We didn't have a great view from our room, but I'm told the views from the rooms looking out towards the river are beautiful and I can believe it - the hotel is situated directly on the river overlooked by an old castle. Plenty of little cafes around with live music and a nice atmosphere.

Front desk was helpful with restaurant and taxi reservations.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the river
1  Thank Sunny77777

Dear Sunny777
Thank you for takinig the time to post your review. Budapest is a lovely city and i wish you got to spend more time here. Perhaps next time, when you return to Pearl of Danube, you will be able to enjoy one of our rooms with a great view. Until then, i remain with my best regards.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

I stayed here few in February and in June multiple times during both months.

I am very happy with the hotel, everytime I stay here, I always get the view of the Danube river. Being a Platinum Ambassador member has its perks, such as room upgrades, fruit and bottled water.
Service is good and I have no complaints whatsoever and very classy hotel. Like most hotels in a big city food is expensive.
I have stayed in the Suite and regular rooms both facing the river. The suite is awesome having both sides of the building.

Location is great its close to everything you need and want. During summer time its a very nice walk along the river or the bridge. Its nice to eat outside the patio with great view of the river and castle. I like the mixture of old and new buildings.

Every time I visit Budapest no doubt I will always stay at this Hotel.

Room Tip: If you can spend the extra €/$ its worth to get the river view especially at night time. I like whe...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Dear BRAI79
Thank you very much for posting this review and also for being part of our Ambassador program. Your loyalty and multiple stays are much appreciated. Please let me know if you plan to visit Budapest in the near future.
With my very best regards,