“Excellent Location & View”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #27 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were lucky enough to get a river facing room with fantastic views of the river and castle hill opposite. The room was lovely - 2 comfortable double beds and a sofa - plenty of space. We worked our way through the pillow menu which was interesting! Breakfast was excellent - plenty of choice and good quality. The staff were all very helpful and the concierge helped advise on where to visit, restaurants and booked tickets for the Szechenyi Thermal Baths (suggest you take towels with you as the ones for hire there are tiny....). It is easy to get around the city - walking distance and with bus / tram stops very close. The swimming pool was fine - small but not busy so good for a quick swim. We would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: River view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear NJSLondon,
thank you for sharing your experiences about your stay in our hotel. I am delighted to read that you found your riverside room lovely and comfortable. I am happy that you took advantage of trying out our special pillow menu and found it exciting. I am also glad to learn that you found the staff in general and especially the concierge team helpful. I do hope to have the privilege welcoming you back in our hotel on your next visit to Budapest.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Fantastic hotel...staff very obliging & helpful........very clean.......rooms spacious......
Spectacular view of the Chain Bridge
Breakfast was the best breakfast ive ever been had.......you name it it was there.....from cereal to full English ,cheese, meats, omlettles, different breads...4 different types of eggs........juice/water
even Chinese breakfast.........PERFECT
Perfect location for every sight seeing adventure.........the market is a must......try a few beers with a LANGOS......
The first strudel hose is a must too.....gorgeous food n good service

Room Tip: sixth floor was perfect for us.......with river view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear aja66,
thank you so much for your review about our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff helpful. I am becoming delighted to read that our buffet breakfast exceeded your expectations and you call the service perfect. Also I am glad to see that you got familiar with authentic tastes of langos and strudel as well. I hope to be standing at you disposal on your next visit to Hungary as well.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Room 911 - The view from this room is spectacular! The entire wall is windows overlooking the river and The Chain Bridge, toward Castle Hill and Fisherman's Bastion. It's also a convenient walk across to Buda and other parts of the city.

As for the room itself, the bed was very comfortable. The room was not the most comfortable for sitting though. There was only a desk chair and wood side chair. The decor was OK. The bathroom was fine.

We had room service several times and the food was very good as was the breakfast in the restaurant.

The staff was pleasant but not overly helpful, especially the doormen. Until we gave them money, they didn't have much to say. One day we asked a doorman for directions and he said "probably that way" and barely did more than point. When my husband tipped him, he suddenly had street names and landmarks galore.

Other than that we thought this hotel was a great place to stay. The view from the room is one we won't forget. We would choose this hotel again because of the view.

Room Tip: Get a room with a high floor and ask for a view of The Chain Bridge and Castle Hill. Be prepared to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Deanna_Watters,
thank you for placing your comment. I am glad to hear that you found the view from your window spectacular and to learn that you have enjoyed the meals in our hotel. Although I feel sorry that not all your interactions went smooth with the doorman It makes me feel tranquil that you found the staff pleasant. I feel happy that you would choose our property again for your next stay in Budapest. Looking forward to a warm welcome in the near future.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Our stay at this hotel was top notch from beginning to end. We were received at the Club Lounge for registration and served food and drinks while we registered. We were given a very comfortable room with a wonderful view of Buda and its Castle Hill. Seeing the hilltop of Buda at night from our bedroom was so spectacular, I could have stayed up all night just staring at this magnificent vista.

Of all the Intercontinental Hotels we stayed at during this European family rendezvous, I found this hotel to be the best. The staff were always eager to help, the breakfast buffets abundant, the rooms were clean and comfortable and most of the sites to see were within walking distance of the hotel. I wish we had spent another day or two more just to relax and take time exploring Budapest. it just felt like a jewel of a city best experienced at a slower pace to see, feel and enjoy the sites or even doing nothing! I could have spent hours at our hotel window just gazing at the unobstructed view of the River Danube and Castle Hill spread before our eyes!

My husband and I liked walking over the Chain Bridge to Buda and back before dinner and watch the city light up before us. We would then go back to the hotel Club Lounge for drinks and finger food which was always abundant and excellently prepared. A young man by the name of Viiktor looked after us so impeccably well during our stay there that he has set a standard in my opinion that Intercontinental Club Lounge staff should aspire to emulate. Always solicitous and eager to help be it another drink, a cup of consommé for Madam, or just interesting conversation about his city, he was charm and professionalism all marvelously rolled into one package. We never lacked for anything when he was around and are so grateful for that.

I would like to go back to Budapest again in the near future. We did not do the city justice because of our shortened stay there. I wouldn't mind another Intercontinental Hotel experience like this one again either!

Room Tip: a room with a view of Castle Hill
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Footloose916,
thank you very much for placing your opinion. I was very much interested in all your experiences that you mentioned to encounter during your stay in our hotel. I am delighted to read that you have found our hotel the best throughout your European tour of hotels. I am happy to see that you have been amazed by the beautiful sights of Budapest and the nearby attractions to our hotel. I am really glad that you could spend a memorable time in our Club Lounge enjoying all the facilities offered. I feel extremely proud that the staff of Club InterContinental has exceeded your expectations and please rest assured I will pass on your words of praise to Viktor.
I very much looking forward to welcoming you back in our property in the near future.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Although I was in Budapest for business and did not need to be near the hotel for the business the central location is perfect for tourism and for dining out. As a gold IHG member you get of course get some additional perks, and this time it included the stunning view over the Danu looking straight at the fort and castle.
Service throughout the hotel is perfect. English skills of all personnel are of a good level. Although the hotel looks a little out dated, the hotel is still is great condition and well maintained. Except that the fan of the heater/airconditioner is loud and opening a window will introduce a lot of noise.
A few remarks though: It seems there is an agreement with only one taxi company. This can mean that at rush hours the wait is long. Why not broaden the scope and allow for more taxis to pick up customers. Especially in the morning. The other remark; I prefer to see dairy products to be offered cooled when presented at the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear 14NABster,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your comments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We value your feedback on all your experiences. I highly appreciate that you found our services perfect and that it was easy for you to communicate with our staff in English. I am very much looking forward to a warm welcome to our hotel in the near future.
Yours sicerely,

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We booked a river cruise along the Danube with a start of 3 nights at this hotel room faced the road not the river a slight disappointment but then again I was there during the Festival of St Stephen so river views were at a premium did not detract from the hotel. Room’s great, Service great from reception to booking out. Food was spectacular Breakfast choice was second to none. I would recommend this hotel but if you want a River view ask for one when booking a trick that I missed but then again there is a rail line between the hotel and River so I don’t know if that noise may affect you.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the River but bear in mind that there is a rail road between the Hotel and River...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear lHornchurchPaul,
I am happy to read that you were not at all detractad from our hotel indeed you even recommend it to others. I am glad that you found breakfast and our services second to none. I hope that during your next visit you can enjoy our world heritage panorama from the river side windows.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Four night City Break through Jet2 holidays,being November we decided that a top class hotel would be a safeguard lest the weather became severe. Excellent hotel, really helpful and friendly staff, especially the concierge desk staff who gave us great advice on sites to see and restaurants to try. The facilities are good with a swimming pool and gym; we did take a look at the facilities but found so much to see and do that we never found time to enjoy them which was a shame.
The location made sightseeing easy and the river views at night were well worth the modest additional charge for a river view. We'd certainly consider another visit, perhaps in the spring or summer as a contrast.
We booked taxi transfers online and were met at the airport and collected for our return exactly as promised; all in cost both ways €41.00.

Wat

Room Tip: Request river view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wat

Dear Wat,
I am glad that you have spent an enjoyable city break with us. It makes me feel especially proud to see that you found our staff really helpful, friendly and that you even highlight the great advices of our concierge team. I hope to welcome you back next year when I'm sure you will take a chance to find out more about the relaxing atmosphere of our Spa.