“Peaceful, top quality hotel in a prime location”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #29 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel Budapest for 12 nights and would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Budapest, for a hassle free and relaxing stay.

The location of the hotel is prime; right on the banks of the river. If you could get a room with a river view I imagine it would be quite superb. The hotel is opposite a tram stop (I can’t be more specific as to which one!) which provides access to the suburb areas which aren’t as easily accessible by foot.

My stay was with business, but at the weekend I endeavoured in the usual tourist activity and managed to do everything by foot. The Szechenyi Chain Bridge is a one minute walk providing easy access to the East where you can ride the Funicular railway to Buda Castle (access in 30 minutes). On the Western side, I walked as far as the Heroes’ Square which again took approximately 30 minutes.

The hotel rooms are spacious; the bed is very comfortable and the standard of cleanliness and housekeeping is high. It was a relaxing stay and the ambience of the rooms made you feel at home.

The staff at the hotel were friendly and had good knowledge of the city, subsequently being able to provide recommendations for things to do and restaurants to visit.

I had breakfast most days at the hotel as well as room service a couple of times and can have no complaints – the breakfast was particularly good with a large selection.

Overall, I’d recommend and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again should I visit Budapest in the future.

Room Tip: If possible get a room on a higher floor with a river view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Banno88,
First of all let me thank you taking your time writing your detailed comment. I am pleased to see all your specifications about the surrounding city highlights and description how easily you could get to the places of attractions. I am most delighted to read that you found the room spacious and comfortable with a high standard of cleanliness. I am happy that you could feel at home and received knowledgeable recommendations. I would be very glad to have the chance hosting you again in our hotel on your next trip to Budapest.
Kind regards,
Claus Geisselmann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,571)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We chose the Intercontinental based on its location, views, and reviews and facilities . It rated really highly for location, views from the river side , and also most importantly staff friendliness and care.
We chose the hotel for a joint 50th birthday , taking 2 of our children along.
ALL our expectations were exceeded. We paid to be upgraded to a higher floor room and boy was it worth it . Absolutely awesome view of Buda Palace, Chain Bridge and Fishermans Bastion, beautiful from first light to nighttime when fully illuminated with a wide sill to sit on and soak up the view. The staff were ALL helpful and attentive and special mention to all the lovely waiting staff who greeted and paid such care to us each morning( we stayed 5 nights) and the Doormen who greeted us so well.The restaurant overlooks the river and Palace. The breakfast was excellent from full cooked , specially prepared omelettes to order , , cheeses , breads , cereals and even a Japanese section with rice , miso soup , noodles and baked salmon. The only suggestion would have had a fresher selection of prepared fruit . It all looked mainly stewed / processed.
The spa looked great although we didn't use, the staff helpful , a lovely pool rarely busy with sauna and steam room, all very clean as were locker rooms and a well stocked gym.
We were so pleased to have chosen this hotel and would stay here again . We would thoroughly recommend the Intercontinental .

Room Tip: Make sure you pay the small amount extra to upgrade to river room and one on a higher floor eg 6 to...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Claus G, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Frodo_10,
Thank you very much for taking your time writing your comment. I feel proud that based on previous guest feedbacks you have chosen InterContinental Budapest for a joint 50th birthday celebration. I am happy that you could take a lifetime memory of the breathtaking view from one of our riverside rooms. Thank you for complimenting all the staff for their attentiveness and helpfulness. I find it great that you wrote about your breakfast and spa experience. I am very much looking forward to be standing at your disposal on your return to the city.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Spent five nights here on a short break fir my wife and me. What a brilliant experience this hotel truly is. All the staff were friendly and very professional. They know how to make folks feel welcome. Our room was spotless, serviced every day and very comfortable. The view from the window (looking across the Danube) was breath-taking.
Breakfasts were a real treat, with a fabulous array of many kinds of food.
We had dinner in the hotel on two evenings - a great choice on the menu and food beautifully cooked and served. Thank you, InterContinental, for top class hospitality and service. Hope to be back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear James C,
Thank you very much for taking your time writing your review. I am glad that you chose our hotel for a 5 nights experience being your home away from home. I am most pleased that we could make you feel most welcomed and that you were satisfied not only with the restaurant selection but were also amazed by the class hospitality and service provided. I do look for the next opportunity to provide same high standard of welcome and treatment when you return to this fascinating city again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Loved my time in Budapest. Its the first time I have been to Hungary and the hotel made us feel welcome. Very quiet at night and lovely breakfast provided each morning. Its a great location for tourists to stay as is walking distance from a lot of tourist spots.

Room Tip: rooms facing on to the danube provide a stunning view both day and night, the back rooms are not so...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dearcar0lyn1983,
thank you for writing about your travel experience. I am very happy that we could make you feel welcome at this new destination for you. We love to contribute to guests' comfort from the first moment of arrival to this marvelous city full of historical and cultural highlights. I hope its charm captured your heart for a return trip in the near future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Fabulous location on the banks of the Danube. Very convenient for sightseeing and some really good eateries.
Try a walking tour of both Budapest and Pest to get the most of a short break. Don't be put off by festivals, join in!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear JRC1947,
thank you very much for placing your review. I am very happy that you note taking a great weekend at a fabulous location in our hotel enjoying even festival experience. True, that Budapest Spring Festival offers a most colorful selection of cultural events even compared to previous years. I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent location, beautiful views. Breakfast was pretty amazing too if you look out from breakfast hall.
All the staff were helpful and pleasant. No issues to report.
Thank you for making our short stay great.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Sophie0304,
thank you very much for taking time writing your review. I am very glad that you found our hotel a great place to stay at. I am happy that you took advantage of the amazing breakfast and that you liked the staff being helpful and pleasant throughout your stay. I would be delighted to welcoming you back in the near future.
With warm regards,

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights 14/3/14 to 17/3/14 with BA holidays. We paid extra for a river view and was well worth the extra cost with fantastic views from the 9th floor. Hotel is central and breakfast was very good with a vast selection. Staff were very helpful, happy and obliging. Only down side is very expensive bar prices.

Room Tip: Order a high floor with river view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris N,
thank you for writing your comment about your recent stay. I am glad that you found InterContinental Budapest a great hotel and chose to enjoy the world heritage panorama which can add to the holiday as a lifetime memory. I am highly pleased to learn that you found the staff happy and obliging. I would be glad if we could serve as your 'home away from home' next time when you visit Budapest again.
Yours sincerely,