“Short break with friend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Budapest

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #23 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
London
“Short break with friend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel is fantastic.

We were upgraded to a river view room free of charge.

The hotel is spotless and has a large number of facilities including a great gym and pool.

I would definitely recommend this to all ages.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Claus G, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Rhartles,
thank you for writing your comment on your short break. I am happy that you found the hotel spotless, enjoyed different facilities and recommend with confidence.
Kind regards,
Claus Geisselmann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (954)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed here just before taking a river cruise. One of the best hotels we've ever stayed at. Staff was quick, attentive and respectful. Room was extremely comfortable with a glorious view of the river. Bath was good, bed was great and food in the restaurant was always excellent. Would definitely recommend this well located and well organized property to those on business or pleasure trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RoomZoom
Dear RoomZoom,
Thank you very much for writing your review. I am much pleased to read that it's been one of the best hotel experiences with attentive and respectful hotel staff at the background. I am happy to read your compliments on the room and restaurant comfort. Thank you for recommending our property to other visitors.
Best regards,
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I've heard good things about this hotel, but actually I wasn't impressed. Firstly they messed up my room booking and whilst they were quick enough to change it, I ended up with a view of the buildings across the street, not the Danube as expected. The hotel commented that if I insisted on a double that's what was available to me. Very disappointed given this is a corporate account for them.

Next thing was that when they moved me, they also
Changed my rate - to the standard room rate, not the discounted corporate .... It took some arguing but they did sort it on checkout.

Beer - expensive! More so than the marriott about 0.5 miles down the road... And that's expensive itself.

Room 452 - not particularly spacious. Channels not a particularly great English. Wifi Internet does also not work well in this room. Bed felt small though was comfortable.

Bar - When ordering food and drink in bar this was fine, but the waitress assumed rather than return my change that it was a tip... I would have given it anyway, but that was completely the wrong thing to do.

Breakfast - this was good. Good choice, and not rushed to complete.

This is a real shame as I was looking for a place to stay when I bring the family later in the year. It's unlikely to be here!

I'm sure with the right conditions this hotel with its Danube views would be a much better place to stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave B
Claus G, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear dbutcher,
Thank you for taking the time to write in regards to your recent stay. I was concerned to read about your experience in connection to misunderstanding about your allocation and meal service. Although it is painful to hear when the stay is not up to one's satisfaction I find it very important to be aware of how much every detail counts - especially when being abroad at a different cultural atmosphere and unfamiliar surroundings. I hope that this one-time experience will not deter you and we can welcome you with the usual prompt and friendly service again.
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights over the May bank holiday weekend. The location right on the Danube is just fantastic and the hotel has great views over to the Buda side of the river if you have a room with a river view - which is well worth the additional money to upgrade.

We had breakfast included in our rate and a great breakfast it was too - lots of hot and cold choices, including dim sum and some Asian specialities.

The room was lovely, although I would say that the communal areas outside the elevators can smell a bit smoky, as Hungary does not seem to be one of the EU countries where smoking is banned in hotels and restaurants as yet (which is a little disappointing).

All in all, a great stay, good food, and excellent service. Would recommend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear tianjin2005,
Thank you for writing about your recent holiday experience. I am happy to see that you found it worthwhile for the Danube view upgrade. It is great that you took advantage of our Asian corner during breakfast time and found your room lovely. Let me inform you that the hotel is operated with consideration to Hungarian smoking law and the country being a member of the European Union. Thank you for sharing your pleasant experiences and recommending InterContinental Budapest to other visitors.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Excellent location close to all attractions. The staff were excellent and very professional, we were really impressed. Our room was upgraded to a suite with fantastic views on Danube River, the Citadel, Buda Castle, Chain bridge and Cathedral. There was a Marathon on that Sunday and I think the whole population of Budapest were running apart from myself! Great experience and I loved the place.

Room Tip: The higher the better Danube view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Entertainment100
Dear Entertainment100,
thank you very much for writing your reveiw. I am pleased to read that you had a great experience in our hotel and writing your compliments about the professional staff and city attractions. I look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Budapest.
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We upgraded our room to a top floor Danube River view and it was worth every Forint. Room 919. We were directly across from the Citadel and had fantastic views of Buda Castle and the Chain Bridge. The city is beautifully lit up at night. The room was large, quiet and very comfortable. Excellent buffet breakfast with an amazing assortment of baked goods. Very helpful front desk staff and concierge.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrew C
Dear Andrew C,
thank you for writing your comment. I am much pleased to read how satisfied you were with the right choice of room regarding price-value ratio, view experiment and comfort. Thank you for noting about the helpfulness of the staff and the great breakfast. I hope to be standing at your disposal on your next visit to the city.
Best regards,
Brooklyn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I read the reviews here so I assumed I'd end my vacation on a high note. Needless to say I was shocked by what I found. The lobby has all the charm of a bus terminal, with a similar mix of tourists in shorts and t-shirts and people who look homeless. I can't believe Intercontinental put their name on this room, which would need upgrading to fit in a Holiday Inn. I've posted pictures to prove it. The decor is cheap, dreary and worn. The carpet is faded. The shower has a cheap plastic curtain around it. As for amenities, there's an electric kettle and packets of instant coffee, and the wifi disconnects you literally every minute or two. (This is my fifth try posting this.) And people have rated this the #21 hotel in Budapest? #22 must have the plague and wolverines.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RomanHans1
Dear RomanHans1,
I wish to thank you for taking your time writing your review. Reading with concern your valuable customer feedback I understand you must have been disappointed looking for integrity and habitual convenience. I would be glad to draw your attention to our numerous room types and suites available with different levels of comfort and equipment that are designed to meet various kind of guest needs. Therefore with confidence I look forward to your next choice of accommodation in our hotel.
With best regards,