“Wonderful River View, great service, spacious rooms”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #27 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
San Diego, California
“Wonderful River View, great service, spacious rooms”
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Stayed here for a week for a business trip and then a little sightseeing on the weekend. Budapest is a beautiful city with great restaurants and this hotel gives you some of the best views available provided that you get a river view. The other side faces another hotel so not much of a view. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The bed is super comfortable and rooms also have a small sofa in them. I visited the fitness center a couple of times. It is small, but not crowded at all. It has a beautiful view of the river also, but people can also see you running from below - a little weird. The hotel is a little pricey, but it is very nice. There are other hotels in the area, but I'm not sure of their pricing. Join their frequent guest club and maybe get a free upgrade to a river view room.

The hotel has a very centralized location. You can walk across the bridge to the castle and also walk to many other Budapest landmarks. It is in a "tourist" zone so prices are inflated at nearby restaurants, but that is to be expected. We also took a boat tour to on the river that was very nice and could take you to the island which looks great for running and just relaxing. Also within walking distance are many local bars and nightlife, probably about a 10 minute walk. Locals were friendly and helpful, but once you get to the less tourist areas, you will defnitely need your hungarian-english dictionary. There are also casinos aplenty nearby/next door. I didn't visit, but many of my colleagues did and had a good time.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I can imagine I would have enjoyed the InterContinental far more if I had been staying in Budapest for a conference, and putting everything on a corporate expense account. As it was, however, I was visiting, with family, for leisure at the end of a very long and trying trip. Budapest is one of my favorite cities, and one I've grown familiar with, and I thought ending the trip with a visit there in an ostensibly 4-star hotel would be an ideal wrap-up.

Unfortunately, the InterContinental proved to be an overpriced and underwhelming stay.

Though rooms with a river view DO get, well, a wonderful river view over toward Castle Hill, other rooms are significantly darker, and are bereft of any sights worth seeing. The room we stayed in was the least spacious on our trip, and the bathroom was near to claustrophobic, particularly for a supposed luxury hotel. The deep tub has a very high sill with a sharp edge -- even though I'm perfectly agile, I wound up breaking a toe on it getting in one morning! Everything was acceptably clean, though the decor is dull and somewhat dreary.

The location didn't impress me terribly. There's nothing wrong with it -- it's near the main tourist drag, it's on the river, it's near the Chain Bridge -- but having visited Budapest before, I found it a little bit aloof from the city and not terribly convenient to the most useful public transportation routes (the millenium underground and the tramline along the pest side of the river are both nearby, but require transfer to get you anywhere you couldn't walk). I prefer a bit more of a bustling environment, or something a bit more integrated with its surrounds. The InterContinetal comes off as more a self-contained corporate biosphere, in a little santized tourist-ruled corner of the city.

When I say self-contained, I do mean self-contained. There's two restaurants, a cafe, a travel office, a business center, a gym, a pool, and spa services. However, I can say without hesitation, in all of those regards, you will find better services for much less money just by wandering outside the hotel. The pricing universe the hotel seems to occupy must be a self-contained one as well.

The hotel-recommended taxi was also overpriced, and seemed downright irritated that we didn't want to take advantage of his tour-guide skills in 5 languages. Again, fine if I were a business traveler with not a lot of time to spare, and a lot of money, but all I needed was a simple taxi to the Opera!

The staff was a mixed bag -- the quality of service seemed to depend very much on whom happened to be on duty at a given time. Most disappointingly, for a luxury business hotel, some members of the front desk staff, and many more of the lower-line staff, had little to no english fluency. It's a bit shocking in a city with so many young, friendly, and hard working people who have a basic working ability in English and other world languages. The front desk needed to be nagged about even modest requests (more pillows), and even then sometimes failed to deliver. The wait for ice when I broke my toe was interminable. Not all was bad, however -- some staff members were very friendly and eager to help. But in a hotel of this caliber, that should be universal, not something you luck into or not at any given time.

The bottom line is, while the hotel does not have any major flaws, it is far from the best option in Budapest, except perhaps for business travelers for whom the convenience of an all-under-one-roof location makes up for the cost and lack of quality (food and spa were particularly disappointing. Again, not *bad*, but certainly not up to par for the price and class).

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Glasgow
Reviewed 5 May 2009

As this was a surprise for our wedding anniversary from our kids we did not know what to expect.
We certainly were surprised when there was a knock at the room door and when we opened the door there was a member of staff with a bottle of champage from the management of the hotel to congratulate us on our anniversary. A very nice touch.
We are certainly glad that the kids picked this hotel.
The location looking over the Danube to the castle was beautiful especially at night.
Part of the surprise was having access to the Club Lounge where you had breakfast and throughout the day you could have snacks and local wine and champagne. It is well worth paying a little extra for this privilage.
The members of staff relating to the Club Lounge were very friendly and efficient and could not do enough for you.
The room was very clean.
There was plenty of restaurants in the area and plenty of things to see and do.
Will certainly return to this hotel.

london
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Many reviewers have already stated the fab views from this hotel but I have to really say that the views and location make this hotel a wonderful experience.
We came over the may bank holiday and was very impressed with the knowledge and help of reception and consierge - both a great help!
Rooms were large enough although bathrooms quite small, ours was room 612.
However the view (definately pay more and stay in a Danube view room) was the big selling point.
We often just had a drink on the alcove in our room and watched the stunning Budapest light up at night.
Breakfast is fine, good choice and service was excellent especially as hotel so busy.
Didnt have dinner here so cant comment on that but did look very inviting from the outside.
Budapest is a wonderful city, top tips: - Margaret Island was fab, very relaxing and pretty.
Forget Gellert spas and head for Széchényi Spa located in City park - just so wonderful and mixed also unlike Gellert Spas.
Mokka is a lovely restaurant and food excellent.
Overall go and enjoy and I would definately reccommend staying at the IC.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed 5 May 2009

We stayed here for three nights prior to a river boat trip and found the location to be fantastic. Had a fairly large room overlooking the Danube. It has recently been refurbished with soothing colors - gray, taupe, oak furniture, white linens. All amenities except no lotion or bath gel. Room safe, hair dryer, iron & board, shoe horn, flashlight. Good breakfast buffet. Really liked the lobby bar with sandwich and salad menu plus bakery counter. Best was restaurant at night - ate outdoors (good food too). No complaints. Only criticism is waiters at breakfast tended to be surly and no coffee refills for anyone. The location is the best of all for tourists. Tram stops in front of hotel. Nearest Metro stop is about 3 blocks away (Line 1). Within walking distance to Parliament. Lots of taxis. Highly recommended.
Laundry is expensive - man's shirt is about $12.75, slacks about $15.50 US. Food fairly expensive - club sandwich in lobby bar is about $16.
There is internet access even if you did not bring your PC as you can use business center and buy a card from front desk for access there - 5 Euros for 15 minutes.
Good work desk in room. Coffee maker.
What impressed us was a fruit plate every day and at beginning of stay the hotel sent up a good bottle of red wine and chocolates!

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel during a short stay in Budapest. I was honestly expecting far better service, since we stayed at an Intercontinental in Cairo and the service was excellent. The hotel is very well located by the Chain Bridge, and the rooms are comfortable enough. We reserved an average room, not a suite, so we were not expecting anything over the top.

The check in process was very efficient and I must say that the concierge staff was excellent. They were very well informed, made great suggestions and they were also glad to receive feedback about area restaurants or classical concerts, etc.

We found very poor service levels throughout the dining room staff, at different meal times, and on more than one occasion. At first we were not sure if our findings were typical of restaurant service in Hungary. We have found that each country does things a little differently, so we generally do our best adjust to the local customs, etc. However, we quickly found that was not the case because the service we received in restaurants throughout the city was excellent. At the hotel, we often found ourselves trying to find a server, or someone to seat us, etc.. They were polite enough, but not at all friendly. They did not go out of their way to provide basic things, 'like can I get you another glass of wine, how about a cup of coffee with your breakfast', etc.? We were almost through with breakfast on our second morning when we got up to help ourselves to the coffee. When the server saw us do so, he did not even offer to help, but rather told us that we were pouring decaf. Wow….thanks for the information.

We enjoy the luxury hotels, but honestly would rather stay in a four star hotel with excellent service. I believe that the service one receives is what leaves the true impression about the overall experience. It is service that truly differentiates businesses today, and this hotel would do well to refresh their restaurant staff on that basic concept. If they get that in order, then I think they may be able to live up to a five star rating.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I scored a 241 offer off the priorityclub homepage, so I decided to spend my birthday here with my girl-friend. As part of the ambassador program we were upgraded from a city view to a danube view room. The room was - I think - on the fifth floor, of adequate size and newly refurbished. None of the tear and wear I had expected from other reviews and actually the hotel homepage itself. However we found the toilet bowl to be leaking water. As a result we were given the choice of waiting for repair or moving to a smoking (reserved non-smoking) room on the club floor. We moved an found the new room to be much bigger. It had the same big window but built at an angle which allowed room for a comfy sofa and afforded us with a FANSTSTIC view of the castle right from the bed. Although this room was indeed a bit worn, being able to look a the castle first thing when you wake up and last thing before you fall asleep more than made up for it.
As I said, there were a few hick-ups, like a made entering our room unanounced and the fitness center being renovated. But on the other hand the hotel honoured my birthday with a nice bottle of sparkling wine and service was generally friendly and relatively speedy.
All in all depited its age and a fiew deficiancies I still rate this hotel 5 points because of the very good value for money and unbelievable view.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple