“Perfect location, very nice hotel”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #27 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We spent two nights at the InterContinental - very comfortable, efficient staff, gorgeous view of the river, good food, very relaxing. Perfect location.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
miloscerovic, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2010

Dear Designer72:
We highly appreciate your remarks about the hotel, our staff and location. We truly hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Budapest and InterContinental in the near future.
With best regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2010

The hotel is located on the River Danube and is walking distance from the famous Chain Bridge of Budapest. Efficient staff and great interiors.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I am a very experienced and a big advocate of Intercontinental properties. I currently hold a very high loyalty status within the group being a Platinum Ambassador and have held this status for a number of years. I have stayed at Intercontinental Hotels across the globe and have always been impressed with the levels of service, room and amenities.

I was in Budapest for 7 days---4 days business and 3 days pleasure. For the 4 days I stayed at the Sofitel, 50 metres from the Intercontinental and was very impressed by the experience there. After my business was concluded, I stayed on personally with my wife joining me and transferred to the Intercontinental Hotel for our 7th wedding anniversary.

I have come to expect a certain level of room & bathroom size and facilities. These facilities include hotel amenities of which are the pool, sauna, spa, club lounge access, etc. Unfortunately I have found all of these areas lacking at this hotel.

I was given my complimentary room upgrade at check-in without having to request as per requirement for Intercontinental Ambassadors, but the upgrade was not to upgrade the quality of the room, but to allow for a river view only. Junior suites and suites were available but these were not offered.

I found the room and the bathroom to be extremely small much more in comparison with size, finish and decor to either a newly refurbished Holiday Inn or an "airport" Crowne Plaza. The bathroom was possibly the smallest I have experienced in a long time.....similar in size to a Central London Holiday Inn Express. Not at all what i would expect from an Intercontinental Hotel. The hair dryer was very old and did not work properly. There was no space to place general bath items in the bathroom either.

The room had a nice sized closet, but no space or drawers for placing clothing items either in the room or in the closet. The air-conditioning did not work properly as the room would not stay cool. As the weather was between 30-35 C daily......the room was often unbearable. And our Danube view was not often a "view" as we were told to "keep our curtains closed to help keep the room cooler". We reported this problem with our air-conditioning on three occasions.....the staff was empathetic, but nothing was solved.

At least we had the spa to look forward too? Well the pool was nothing to write home about! It was soooo small! The changing rooms were clean and new.....and the staff in the spa were helpful..... Again....it was more that the standard was not what I would expect for this type of property. The pool was smaller than most Holiday Inn's. The steam room and sauna were also very small..... 4 people max!

I did raise all of these points on the first day of my stay.....however upon writing this review....day 3 of our stay... I have yet still to have a response.......

I have never felt the need to complain about the standards of any aspects of Intercontinental Hotels before. As stated previously, I have stayed at over 10 InterContinental Hotels and stay in atleast 5 other Intercontinental properties per month across the globe and my expectations have always been exceeded by my experience. I have found that this hotel is subpar and is more along the lines of a General Crowne Plaza.

In summary, as much as it pains me to say.....as I am a loyal Intercontinental Hotel customer.....in this instance.... I would recommend for anyone to stay at the Sofitel as it gives a much better experience in room, amenities and generally overall.

If you stay here thinking you are getting a 5 star experience...don't!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank paulnrenee

Dear PaulnRenee:
It is with great disappointment that I received your in-room comment card as well as the feedback which you recently posted on this website. It seems that we did not deliver the level of service which you expected from our hotel and I am truly sorry for that.
As much as I am proud of our recent renovation of the rooms, Club Lounge and Spa InterContinental as well as the high level service that we provide to our guests, I must say that we "dropped the ball" in your case and have to agree with the points that you listed as being sub par comparing to other InterContinental hotels.
Bathrooms in our hotel are slightly smaller than in some other InterContinental hotels due to the configuration of the building. We are fully aware that this is not our selling point and therefore our aim is to offset it through a wonderful service and memorable experience which we would provide to our guests in return. Unfortunately, we failed to do so in your case. Although a complimentary upgrade to a suite is not part of the Ambassador benefit program, I certainly wish that we took advantage of the slightly lower occupancy and acknowledged your distinguished status with complimentary upgrade to a suite. We encourage our staff to make these types of decisions and do whatever it takes to "wow" our guests. The issue with A/C and room temperature is absolutely unacceptable and I fully understand how you felt while writing this review knowing that nothing has been done in the meantime to offset this shortfall. We will certainly use your scenario as a training tool for all our employees and I hope that similar mistakes will not occur in the future.
At the end, I must thank you again for such a detailed feedback which will hopefully assist us in providing higher level of service to our guests. I do appreciate your loyalty to InterContinental Hotels and Resorts and encourage you to continue using our properties throughout the World. I can only hope that our hotel will be amongst them in the near future. If there is anything that I could ever do for you in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly at milos.cerovic@ihg.com
With my very best regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2010

I can only say positive things about this hotel. We stayed here with friends and got an executive room. Very spacious with a wonderful view on the chainbridge. Breakfast was very good, a lot of choice and fresh food. The staff was very helpful and recommended really good restaurants, places to see, etc... . My husband lost his wallet and there again they were a great help to us, calling the embassy, the police, ... . Although it's not a design hotel, the rooms were of very good quality. Bathroom was a little small but had everything we needed. Beds were wonderful! And of course there's the location. I can't imagine staying at a better location. We could do almost everything by foot.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Keppebolletje:
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location, staff and our room product while staying at the InterContinental Budapest. I hope that you managed to sort the issue with the missing wallet and that our staff was indeed helpfull throughout the process. If there is anything else that we could do for you, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel and we will gladly try to assist. With my very best regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a lovely six day vacation in beautiful Budapest.
I hesitated a lot before I had chosen InterContinental hotel: all five stars hotels seemed evenly great.
Our stay at the InterContinental was a great, unforgettable experience, and I would like to add my good review, as the hotel surely deserves it.
We upgraded our room to a Danube view room for extra 25 euros per night: it was worth every cent. The hotel is located right on the Danube, just steps away from the famous Chain Bridge, and the view from the room is stunning, specially at night when the palace, churches and bridges are beautifully illuminated.
The Vorosmarty ter (where you can find the famous Gerbaud Cafe and metro station) and Vaci street are five minutes walk from the hotel.
Lots of dining options around.
Tram number 2 is near the hotel's enterance - and you can take it to the Parliament, the market place or to the big Westend shopping mall.
Breakfast buffet is rich and delicious. Be warned: you won't be able to eat untill dinner after such breakfast...
The room is comfortable and clean: every night we got chocolates with a good night blessing note in many languages, and different postcards of the city with interesting reviews.
I must praise the concierge team of the hotel: they know EVERYTHING about the city: transportation, entertainment, restaurants and much more, and they will gladly help you with every wish and whim.
And last but not least - many thanks to Ms. Nikoletta Nagy from reservations who did a wonderful job and answered every question that I had with a speed of a thunder lightning.
:-)
We will surely return to the InterContinental on our next trip to Budapest.

Dear GiladIsrael:
Thank you very much for such a thorough and positive comment which you recently posted on this website. I am happy to hear that you not only enjoyed the hotel and its amenities but also the details through which we try to delight our guests. On a special note, I will ensure that Nikoletta is well recognized among her peers for the punctual and pleasant service she delivered. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 June 2010

My husband and i have just returned from 4 nights at the Intercontinental we had a fabulous stay. This hotel is in a great location we had a room with views of Buda Castle and the Danube.
Staff were very helpful, rooms good size and very clean.
Only complaint was price for Breakfast we felt that £26 for Breakfast each was a bit much we bought pastrys from local stores and had these as an alternative. However i would still highly recommend this hotel.

Dear Langus16:
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback about your recent stay at the InterContinental Budapest. We truly hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. As for the breakfast, I strongly suggest that you purchase one of our packaged rates (room + bfast) as it would be more affordable than paying it separately. Please do let me know if you would need my assistance in the future. With best regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2010

i recently stayed 4 days in intercontinental budapest,
i highly recommend this hotel, the view on the danube is a must, the staff is friendly,
and the ambassador program of intercontinental is in my opinion the most valuable,
if you prefer modern design, this interconti is a bit old style, but have a drink at the bar of the sofitel nearby,
regards

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
miloscerovic, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2010

Dear Chabrias:
Thank you for summarizing your recent stay and sharing the feedback with other TA members. I must agree with you that the view from our rooms is arguably the best one you can find in Budapest. Also, the Ambassador membership is a great value and we are informing our guests in more details about it upon check in. I certainly look forward to seeing you back in our hotel.
With best regards,