“A good base for visiting Budapest”

Mercure Budapest City Center
Ranked #102 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Sydney, Australia
“A good base for visiting Budapest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed for two nights in the hotel which is situated right in the centre, a stones throw from the river. Parking is available in the basement but make sure you pre-book. As it is difficult to find it is better to park nearby and go to reception and one of the staff will come with you in your car to guide you. There is a lift from the basement.

The room is small, more the size of an Ibis, but is very clean and has tea and coffee making facilities. The WIFI worked fine in the room and there was BBC and CNN on the TV. The bathroom was fine but the towels were very, very thin. Towels appear to be a serious problem for Accor all over Europe and is something that should be addressed by management.

Breakfast was one of the best we had on the trip in an large room with an extraordinary range of food and very attentive staff. I asked for fried eggs on both days and they were promptly produced and were excellent.

Front desk will organise tours. We would recommend the city tour and the Opera Dinner Show on the Danube is very good value. The Parliament building (not to be missed) is within an easy walk and the entry ticket gives you a guided tour.

Budapest is a lovely city and the Budapest Mercure City Central is good value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
LiviaNagyidai, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Budapest City Center, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Warren B,

We have enjoyed reading your review about our hotel. Thank you for your comments and compliments.It is always a pleasure to know that our Guests are satisfied with our hotel and services. We are proud of our colleagues, so thank you for your very positive comments regarding the staff helpfulness. It is our pleasure that you enjoyed the breakfast in our restaurant with it’s wide range of food.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

With best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a very good hotel. The room was comfortable, the staff were extremely helpful and the breakfast was outstanding. One of the best features, however, is the location. One can walk out right onto the main walkway into the city nightlife. We had a fantastic time at the Mercure. It was close to everything and surrounded by great landmarks and restuarants. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
LiviaNagyidai, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Budapest City Center, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear RMcDowall,

Thank you for your remarks following your stay in our hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed the center location of our hotel and you could benefit from it. We are pleased to read your positive comment regarding our staff. They always do their best to make our Guests' stay more comfortable. It's a special pleasure for us that our hotel met your expectation in terms of breakfast. We hope we can have the chance to accommodate you in our hotel again.

pitrevie
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I have stayed at Mercure hotels before the last being in Jakarta and that was outstanding and easily 4 stars. A few months ago I was in the Ibis Hotel in Vientiane Laos also part of the Accor group of hotels and is 3 stars far superior to the Mercure in Budapest. In fact I think the only thing positive I can say about the Mercure Budapest is that it is in a fantastic central location. I was told on checking in that I was being upgraded, I would hate to have seen the room I was upgraded from. The room looked as if it had been fitted out by IKEA. The towels in the bathroom were the thinnest I have ever seen and there was one very small pillow for the bed which was more like a bunk bed that a hotel bed. A visit to the bathroom at night revealed cockroaches on the floor and in the bath. Breakfast was adequate but only scrambled eggs no egg station for any other choice. The Wi-Fi in my room on the 5th floor was useless and I had to sit near the door to get it to work I could pick up the hotel next door with a stronger signal. When I complained about this I was told, "it should work", I know that but that is why I was complaining so I guess complaining about anything else would have been a waste of time. Budapest is a beautiful city and worth a visit but this hotel is not worth 4 stars and is the worst hotel I have been in with the Mercure brand name.

Room Tip: If you want a 4 star hotel book another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear pitrevie,

Dear pitrevie,

Thank you for your detailed review after your stay at Mercure Budapest City Center.

Thank you for your positive opinion on our location. I would like to apologize for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at our hotel.
Regarding room conditions please note that the rooms will be renovated during the next renovation project.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future

Valencia, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and I must say it was brilliant.
After having a bad experience at another hotel and another city coming to Mercure seemed like bliss.
There are 2 entrances, one a main road and one a pedestrian only entrance.

It is situated on the Pest side of the city, walking distance from the chain bridge, Wenceslas Square, Hungarian Parliament, the Danube, St. Stephens Cathedral and even the castle (it's on a hill, and a lot of walking to do inside so take some transport to get there).

We were upgraded to the privilege room. The room was comfortable, the bathroom not very big but decently sized.

On day 1 I thought the mattresses were kinda hard, but you get used to it in a few hours, I've read about back aches from other reviews, nothing of that sort with us.

The room had a tea/coffee maker and a nespresso machine with 4 different coffees.

The breakfast was great - huge variety. Even for a vegetarian I got more than cereals or bakery products. The only thing is in 4 days I had to have the same thing twice. But it was delicious, so no complaints. They have 3 hot vegetarian dishes to choose from, other than cereals, bakery products, salads, dips and fruits. Of course there were eggs, sausages, cold cuts and some more meat options.

You just step out of the hotel and there is a swarm of restaurants (buddha bar is 2 minutes away). I must recommend the restaurant that's right outside la cucina - very good Italian.

The staff was very knowledgable and helpful. They arrange tickets for many excursions at no extra cost, taxis at no extra cost.

I definitely will stay here again and recommend it to all.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear samnani,

Thank you very much for your detailed and wonderful review after your stay at Mercure Budapest City Center.

We are happy that you enjoyed the center location of our hotel and you could benefit from it.We are glad that you found our staff friendly and professional. It is also lovely to hear that you were satisfied with our breakfast offer.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

stayed here for a 3 night city break August as was recommended it by my sister who had also stayed here.
first room we got was rather small for 2 large cases and a king bed, I let the reception know this and they where more than happy to move me to a different room which was much better and was on the 1st floor. Thank you Zoltan ( manager on duty )
We also asked for a late check out but wasn't possible due to the next day being St Stephens day in Hungary and the hotel was fully booked out.
But we did have use of the Privilege Lounge which was more than ample for our needs. Thank you again Zoltan.
I would stay here again and is very close to everything in the city , Ruin Bars , Chain Bridge , Metro lines , Shops etc.
Def recommend this hotel to anyone looking a nice city break and staff are very friendly also.

Room Tip: Ask for a Privilege room and if smoke ask for the first floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
LiviaNagyidai, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Budapest City Center, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Mark M,

Thank you for your wonderful review after your stay at Mercure Budapest City Center. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed the center location of our hotel and you could benefit from it. We are proud of our colleagues, so thank you for your very positive comments regarding the staff attitude. Your compliment has been forwarded to Zoltan and the others.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

The majority of the reviews for this hotel are positive and I could sit and type exactly the same reiterating our positive experience, however, on this occasion, I would like to share a different and MOST positive experience....our hound daughter became lost in this hotel after running off totally confident (you know how 8 & 9 year olds can be!). Anyway, she did not turn up at our meeting point in the lobby, after a quick check my me 10 minutes had passed by. Turning to the reception staff for assistance, a mere 5 minutes later my sheepish daughter was returned. An extensive CCTV system that was FULLY operational found her on the 1st floor, a "lobby boy" or equivalent collected her. Yes, this hotel is great and my family was kept safe....

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Eszter S, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Budapest City Center, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Merrimac54,
Thank you for your wonderful remarks. We are more than happy that you were satisfied with our hotel and services and especially with our staff and your daughter was kept in safe. Your valuable words were a real recognition of our every day effort. We really look forward to welcoming you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Just stopped at for a few nights for a weekend break. Really good location for getting around the city. Staff all really helpful and friendly. Spotlessly clean. Didn't try breakfast in the hotel as there were far to many other places to try locally. Good selection of wines in the hotel bar, and the hot chocolate was delicious. Will definitely stay here on our next visit as we are really looking forward to returning to Budapest.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear CyprusScott,
Thank you so much for choosing Mercure Budapest City Center during your stay in Hungary. We appreciate your nice comments. It is always a pleasure to know that our Guests are satisfied with our hotel and services. Special thanks for staying with us next time when you come to Budapest.