“A fair deal” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #162 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Island of Malta, Malta
“A fair deal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel is nicely located in Budapest's embassy area close to Andrassy road, on of the main sights of the city. The hotel staff was very friendly and the rooms were ok. The level of cleanliness could be improved a little, but it was all right. Unfortunately there was no hot water kettle in the Room. Prices of the minibar were very accessible and the same can be said about the hotel in general, which features very interesting prices, also in the restaurant. The restaurant itself was also very nice, serving traditional Hungarian food. All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Koffen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Overall, I was a little disappointed with this hotel but I will try and give an honest, balanced review to help others make their decision on whether to stay here.
I travelled with my husband and 22 month old for a 4 night city break. We booked a standard room, no upgrades, and I emailed to hotel in advance to request aa quiet a room as possible, a room with a bath for convenience of the baby, and a sofa bed over a cot as my little girl will not sleep in a cot any more. The hotel promptly emailed me back to tell me that they had reserved a family room for me. I was therefore feeling very positive.
When we arrived, we were swiftly checked in and offered help with our baggage to the room. The guys on reception were very friendly. Before we got to our room it was evident from the corridors that this hotel is in desperate need of redecoration/ modernisation. I was prepared for this having read other reviews but felt that as long as the place was clean and welcoming, the old fashioned décor doesn't really matter for the sake of a few nights. We were definitely welcomed but I feel this hotel could go further in to making the place feel cleaner for its visitors. For example, the hotel is full of net curtains which are not hung properly and in desperate need of a good wash. They were obviously white once but now a dirty grey/brown. Also, there is an overwhelming smell of fried food throughout the hotel around meal times. We could smell it in our room, throughout the corridors and reception area first thing in the morning and when we came back to the hotel in the evening. The ventilation system really needs sorting out because it is not very nice at all.
Our room on the 6th floor, which was not the family room we had been promised but a double room with a travel cot in it (leaving very little room to walk about), had a lot of dust all around the edges of the floor. I wouldn't ordinarily be too bothered if it was just me and my husband but with a little one walking and crawling all over the floor, it was one more thing that made me feel that cleanliness isn't taken that seriously here. Lets just say that the toilet hadn't been cleaned very well from the previous visitors either, so that really put me off. On a positive note, we requested additional pillows and this was seen to straight away! As it was early evening when we arrived we couldn't be bothered to raise the travel cot issue and dirty toilet but in hindsight, I should have asked to be switched to another room. I suspect it would have been much of the same.
In terms of the room itself, aside from the cleanliness issue, it was very outdated and the bathroom was small. We had cracked tiles and the bath was so old that the shiny coating inside it had gone. There was a shower in the bath but nothing to attach it to, which meant you had to sit in the bath to have a shower. Bit of an inconvenience. We got a room to the back of the hotel which was nice and quiet; the heating was set to constant and it got too warm in the room for us, so we were able to open the windows for fresh air without fear of noise. There was air conditioning in the room which appeared to work when I tested it but as the vents were thick with dust I wasn't inclined to use it! There was a TV with a few English-speaking channels and the Wifi worked perfect for us in the room. There was also a fridge/mini bar which I found handy to store our own drinks and snack items. There are no tea/coffee making facilities but that's normal outside the UK.
The buffet breakfast was OK. Plenty of continental options - juice, tea and coffee, fruit salad, cold meats, cheeses and bread rolls but the cooked items were limited to scrambled egg come omelette and frankfurter style sausages. I asked for fried eggs one morning and staff were happy to oblige.
Location-wise the hotel is on a residential street so its pretty quiet. It is a 5 minutes walk to Heroes Square and Andrassy Street which leads you straight in to the city centre. The city centre is walkable in about 1/2 an hour but if you're not a walking person there are metro stops all along Andrassy Street which will take you in to town in less than 10 minutes. Heroes Square is also on the Red Hop on Hop off bus route if you chose to use this service. I would recommend it to get your bearings and to get a feel for the sights in Budapest if you have limited time. The ticket lasts for 2 days, you can use it as many times as you like, and you can get off at any of the sights and just get back on any of the next bus that comes along. You also get a boat ride thrown in.
Back to the hotel. We didn't eat any evening meals there as there are plenty of eateries in Budapest and all along Andrassy Street when heading back to the hotel from the city centre. I would recommend a little restaurant called Andrassy Bistro to taste local cuisine - it is 10 minutes from the hotel and is a friendly, family run business which is reasonably priced.
To summarise, this hotel is very basic but well located. The reception and breakfast staff are a credit. However, I wouldn't go back again as I think you can get just as good if not better deals in more modern hotels that would make your stay feel that little bit more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Upgrade as far as you can go, I found the standard room to be poor. If you want a quiet room then r...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Overall this hotel was very pleasant and me and my friends were treated very politely. I would easily recommend this hotel to anyone. One thing i was not a fan of was the price for a meal in the hotel as i felt the prices were daylight robbery! Anyway i would suggest this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms with the card readers are much better than the rooms which have the keys to enter the room...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Drogheda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here as part of a Conference group. The rate was good for room and meals included. We stayed in a Superior Room and it was very pleasant. Staff were helpful when required and there were no complaints or unwanted surprises. Just a short walk from Heroes Square and the Public Baths.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank therealnickpark
Liskeard
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was an excellent hotel in a quiet location although only 5 minutes walk from Heroes Square as well as the Metro and other public transport.
Breakfast very good and plentiful. Room was above average. Highly recommend

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Plum1956
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

The hotel is situated in a very nice area - quiet, central and near to an M1 (Metro) station. The room was clean but each morning there was a horrible 'kitchen smell' in our room and on the corridors. I've traveled for business and I shared a room with one of my colleagues - it wasn't a very good decision as there was only 1 key which we had to share .... no problem if both persons are together all the time. In the evening, one could not sleep till the other one reached the room. During our stay there were many company-events in the lobby - it wasn't possible to stay there as it was really crowded.
The breakfast was above average, the WI-FI was free and there was good connection to WI-FI.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Suffolk, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

"One Traveller" for mature single travellers could not have chosen a better hotel. A short walk from Heroes Square and when we arrived this was the venue for a horse fair. Wow it was amazing. Music, street food (smelled and looked yummy) I wished we weren't going out for dinner that night. Try and find out when this amazing festival is on next year and you won't be disappointed. No drunkenness, no fighting, just everyone having a great time.

Room Tip: My room had a balcony which was side on to the main street. Being in a quiet, tree-lined location i...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo