“Good value for the price”
Review of Benczur Hotel

Benczur Hotel
Ranked #163 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Cyprus
“Good value for the price”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed four nights at the Benczur hotel in April 2014. The hotel was very good value for money and I would stay there again.
The location is great at the Hero's Square end of the metroline number 1, the oldest and cutest metroline in continental Europe, an experience itself. The hotel is also next door to the park and Schezenyi Spa, a day not to be missed. The area where the hotel is located in a nice area of the city on Pest side, lots of great buildings and many embassies and it is an easy 20 minute walk to the centre and if you are too tired to walk - metro only takes a couple of minutes. There is also a Hop on Hop off bus stop near to the hotel, so it is easy to do sightseeing during the first days.
The hotel itself has a bit of 80's decor, but never mind. The rooms are okay and have a tv and a bath. Beds are bit on a harder side, but that was to my liking. The hotel staff was friendly enough and their english was good and they were always ready to help.
I thought that the continental breakfast they offered was also good value for money, there was enough variation and it got you for a good start in the morning.

Room Tip: There seemed to be upgarded rooms with flat screen tv and then normal ones which were a bit outdated...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaanaCyprus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed at the Benczur Hotel for four days in January 2014. I found the hotel to be extremely average. I am not saying this is a bad hotel by any stretch of the imagination. However the room for two we paid for did not have a double bed, rather two single beds pushed together complete with separate duvets. The rooms were comfortable enough but much like the rest of the hotel it was bland and uninteresting. Whilst the Benczur Hotel is cheap and close to the centre of Pest, The breakfast options were unvaried and the hotel could not shake the 'bang-average' feeling it inspired in us. This hotel was decent enough for a short break but be prepared to get what you pay for and not anything above and beyond that.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Travelled to this property with a group; spread across various rooms and it was very well organised. Upon arrival we did have to fill out quite a bit of paperwork, which took a while with us being a group of 17; although something you get used to travelling in Budapest. We arrived, after a delayed flight, around 15 minutes before the restaurant closed and unfortunately the hotel restaurant wouldn't consider us eating there... although this is also understandable, it did cause some inconvenience. Rooms were well appointed in the main; although the renovated rooms were considerably nicer and this seemed to be continuing whilst we stayed at the hotel, which is positive. The hotel is located in a lovely area, surrounded by a variety of embassies, in a quieter section of the city. It's quite a walk to many of the main attractions; although this didn't bother us much given it's a walk down Andrassy Avenue which itself is filled with character and things to see and do! We stopped for a coffee and made sure that it was leisurely! It is located nearby to Heroes Square, so it's easy to connect to the tourists buses which also seem good value for the provision. Overall; a really good hotel, for good value. Location is something which we found to be okay, given that we could take it easy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gph92
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. We found the hotel to be a little old and in need of some work but overall it was fine. Our room was a good size and was clean. The breakfast was great. The location was good, close to heroes square and close to the metro station. The rooms are not very soundproof, we were kept awake or woken up every night we stayed by a group of loud men talking and shouting in the hallways! We did not sleep very well because of this. Overall we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kirsten F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Great, great location. Like most of Budapest, fair to say this hotel is a little "rustic", which can also have its charm. We asked for a twin room whereby we were given to beds the size of ironing boards! By the third day, I could barely walk!!

There was also no control on the room's heating, so it was freezing between say midnight and 0800hrs, then bizarrely sweltering at all other hours

The hotel is on the Yellow metro line (less than a two minute walk to Hero Square station) so it really does go straight into town with no trouble at all.

The staff were reasonably helpful.

Room Tip: I was on the 7th floor. I think that is where they stick people that fly on or with a certain budget...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Matthew C
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel is nicely located in Budapest's embassy area close to Andrassy road, on of the main sights of the city. The hotel staff was very friendly and the rooms were ok. The level of cleanliness could be improved a little, but it was all right. Unfortunately there was no hot water kettle in the Room. Prices of the minibar were very accessible and the same can be said about the hotel in general, which features very interesting prices, also in the restaurant. The restaurant itself was also very nice, serving traditional Hungarian food. All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Koffen
Manchester
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Overall, I was a little disappointed with this hotel but I will try and give an honest, balanced review to help others make their decision on whether to stay here.
I travelled with my husband and 22 month old for a 4 night city break. We booked a standard room, no upgrades, and I emailed to hotel in advance to request aa quiet a room as possible, a room with a bath for convenience of the baby, and a sofa bed over a cot as my little girl will not sleep in a cot any more. The hotel promptly emailed me back to tell me that they had reserved a family room for me. I was therefore feeling very positive.
When we arrived, we were swiftly checked in and offered help with our baggage to the room. The guys on reception were very friendly. Before we got to our room it was evident from the corridors that this hotel is in desperate need of redecoration/ modernisation. I was prepared for this having read other reviews but felt that as long as the place was clean and welcoming, the old fashioned décor doesn't really matter for the sake of a few nights. We were definitely welcomed but I feel this hotel could go further in to making the place feel cleaner for its visitors. For example, the hotel is full of net curtains which are not hung properly and in desperate need of a good wash. They were obviously white once but now a dirty grey/brown. Also, there is an overwhelming smell of fried food throughout the hotel around meal times. We could smell it in our room, throughout the corridors and reception area first thing in the morning and when we came back to the hotel in the evening. The ventilation system really needs sorting out because it is not very nice at all.
Our room on the 6th floor, which was not the family room we had been promised but a double room with a travel cot in it (leaving very little room to walk about), had a lot of dust all around the edges of the floor. I wouldn't ordinarily be too bothered if it was just me and my husband but with a little one walking and crawling all over the floor, it was one more thing that made me feel that cleanliness isn't taken that seriously here. Lets just say that the toilet hadn't been cleaned very well from the previous visitors either, so that really put me off. On a positive note, we requested additional pillows and this was seen to straight away! As it was early evening when we arrived we couldn't be bothered to raise the travel cot issue and dirty toilet but in hindsight, I should have asked to be switched to another room. I suspect it would have been much of the same.
In terms of the room itself, aside from the cleanliness issue, it was very outdated and the bathroom was small. We had cracked tiles and the bath was so old that the shiny coating inside it had gone. There was a shower in the bath but nothing to attach it to, which meant you had to sit in the bath to have a shower. Bit of an inconvenience. We got a room to the back of the hotel which was nice and quiet; the heating was set to constant and it got too warm in the room for us, so we were able to open the windows for fresh air without fear of noise. There was air conditioning in the room which appeared to work when I tested it but as the vents were thick with dust I wasn't inclined to use it! There was a TV with a few English-speaking channels and the Wifi worked perfect for us in the room. There was also a fridge/mini bar which I found handy to store our own drinks and snack items. There are no tea/coffee making facilities but that's normal outside the UK.
The buffet breakfast was OK. Plenty of continental options - juice, tea and coffee, fruit salad, cold meats, cheeses and bread rolls but the cooked items were limited to scrambled egg come omelette and frankfurter style sausages. I asked for fried eggs one morning and staff were happy to oblige.
Location-wise the hotel is on a residential street so its pretty quiet. It is a 5 minutes walk to Heroes Square and Andrassy Street which leads you straight in to the city centre. The city centre is walkable in about 1/2 an hour but if you're not a walking person there are metro stops all along Andrassy Street which will take you in to town in less than 10 minutes. Heroes Square is also on the Red Hop on Hop off bus route if you chose to use this service. I would recommend it to get your bearings and to get a feel for the sights in Budapest if you have limited time. The ticket lasts for 2 days, you can use it as many times as you like, and you can get off at any of the sights and just get back on any of the next bus that comes along. You also get a boat ride thrown in.
Back to the hotel. We didn't eat any evening meals there as there are plenty of eateries in Budapest and all along Andrassy Street when heading back to the hotel from the city centre. I would recommend a little restaurant called Andrassy Bistro to taste local cuisine - it is 10 minutes from the hotel and is a friendly, family run business which is reasonably priced.
To summarise, this hotel is very basic but well located. The reception and breakfast staff are a credit. However, I wouldn't go back again as I think you can get just as good if not better deals in more modern hotels that would make your stay feel that little bit more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Upgrade as far as you can go, I found the standard room to be poor. If you want a quiet room then r...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels