“Impressive opera house, nice tour”

Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Allami Operahaz)
Book In Advance
Ranked #10 of 478 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This magnificent new-Renaissance style structure, completed in 1884 and modeled after the Vienna Opera House, is home to both the State Opera and the State Ballet.
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The opera house was so beautiful. So stately, grand, not overly ostentatious, but just beautiful & a real presence. I’m no opera buff, I leave that to hubby, but we did manage a tour which was about an hour & after all you get a ‘mini opera’ [about 5-10 minutes of small performance from a singer, ours was male & pretty amusing, you simply stand around in the foyer & watch until they usher you out]. The tour guide was young but knowledgeable & you are shown around various parts of the opera house in a well oiled operated. It is a lovely place & we elected to not see the show as it was almost 4 hours & my hubby was not sure I’d have the stamina. But compared to Vienna & Paris the shows here seem very affordable & this is an opera house which matches the best of them.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

First of all, the building itself is already worth a visit! It is a very old and looks fabulous. It isn't as big as the state opera in Prague but nevertheless I think it was even more beautiful.
The showroom in which the opera took place was quite big and very impressive!! The opera itself was fantastic! I haven't seen lots of operas so I can just tell you my personal impression, but I was enchanted! The seats were a little too hard though after 2 hours an a half, but you cannot miss a spectacle in the opera if you visit Budapest and if you like this kind of spectacle!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our tour of this fabulous Opera House was well worth the visit. It gave us such insight into the history of this beautiful structure and all that it means to the Hungarian people. Stay for the mini opera at the end as it is a wonderful culmination of your tour....

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

And that's not including photography charge, which I didn't purchase. Not the grandest opera in size or interior, not sure about the acoustic as I didn't attend a proper concert there. I know y they can afford to constantly restore the whole building while other opera houses in the world are constantly begging for donation. I really think it's overpriced and the mini concert was absolutely mini mini, about 5 min, you just stand around to 'enjoy' it. Real disappointed with this tourist scam.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Visited the opera for 'The golden brush' a ballet performance.

Everything is gold, gold and gold.

I would suggest a dress circle box, nice private and a great view.

1  Thank Olivier V