“Touristy Street” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Art Nouveau Tour Budapest
Ranked #53 of 438 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: The main thoroughfare of Pest during the 18th century, today the pedestrian walkway is lined with upscale shops, restaurants and cafes.
Krakow, Poland
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Touristy Street”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very tourist orientated street. Prices are the same. Nevertheless its city center so its worth to see it at least once

Visited April 2014

• Slovak first
  • Turkish first
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Travelers, be carefull! This street is not for fools”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

It is incredible how many tourists are scammed in this street. I came there just to investigate how scam schemes work. I was approached by pairs of woman couple of times and I saw many other similar woman talking with man. But since I was informed about their tricks from various sources on the web, I just maked laugh from them. For example, when they approched me and traditionally asked for a map, I have answered that I don't have it and started inviting them to join me and go to the bar. They confused, said 'no' and went away. I saw a men loudly discussing with two women about his huge bill near the PUB and at the same time I saw new customers (potential new victims) going to the PUB. Lately, this men go away without paying and I talked with him about how he can be so stupid. He told that he was informed about possible scams but the girls were so friendly... I also investigated neigborhoud of the famous Elevator bar (Városközpont). I saw menu on the window but I guess the bar was closed.

In the street also work several man who invites you to their striptise clubs. Some of them are very active. It is interesting to listen how they advertise the girls but it is not recommended to go with them to the clubs. Unfortunately, I saw a lot of man who went there.

While I was in this street in the evening and even in the midnight, I didn't felt unsafe. Of course, I didn't have phone, camera, money or credit cards with me. I didn't have anything valuable.

You should visit this street only if you are smart enough not to go with girls, drink in bars or eat in the restaurants. This street is interesting to observe how stupid peoples can be. It is fun only if you are not a victim.

Finally, I should notice that at the very begining of street side near the Central market hall you can buy postcards for 800 HUF. That is the lowest price of postcards I saw in this city (I saw the same price only in the Central market). So, not everything in Vaci Uta is so bad and overpriced :)

6 Thank teodor123
Lisbon, Portugal
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“For tourists”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Long street with restaurants and souvenirs shops in one end, the other has all the usual shops you find in any other european capital. Nice walk but if you want to buy something, browse to find reasonable prices. More likely you will end up buying your stuff in some other street of Peste - it is cheaper.

Visited April 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Tourist trap street”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This street is just a a typical tourist street, lots of nondescript shops and sub-standard cafes.
One end you have the high street retailers like Zara and H&M, the other end you have the Great Market Hall. My advice would be to walk down this but avoid anyone coming up to you, they are almost certainly offering something too good to be true.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Wilton-88
Dublin
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“It's a street!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

So, it's a street, but with some overpriced shops. I found the street useful as a navigational reference in my early days in Buda. After a few days you've cracked it and will have found out to your expense that Vaci Street is a tourist rip-off street. Don't be afraid to venture beyond this street for more reasonably priced restaurants and shops. It's clean and most shops are well presented.

Visited February 2014