“A great collection”

Szepmuveszeti Muzeum
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest houses the most significant European Art collection of the region between Vienna and St. Petersburg. The exhibitions halls delight visitors with an array of splendid compositions by Raphael, El Greco, Velázquez, Rembrandt, Tiepolo, Goya, Manet, Monet, Toulouse-Lautrec, Cézanne and Chagall, among many others. In 2007 the museum joined the ranks of those museums that attract the highest numbers of visitors worldwide.The Museum of Fine Arts was built as part of the celebrations surrounding the 1,000th anniversary of the founding of Hungary and was inaugurated by King and Emperor Franz Joseph on December 1, 1906. The building simultaneously recalls both an antique temple and a Renaissance palace. The Egyptian Art Collection of the museum is one of the richest of its kind in Central Europe. The Classical Antiquities Collection embraces the entire period of antiquity. The Old Masters’ Collection is represented by around three thousand paintings of the most important eras of European painting from the 13th till the end of the 18th century. Visitors can enjoy the famous sculptures of Sansovino, Riemenschneider and Messerschmidt, in the newly renovated rooms of the new permanent collection of the Old Sculptures Collection in 2013. The Prints and Drawings Collection is an inexhaustible treasure trove embracing the history of drawing and reproductive techniques in Europe. Its approximately 10 000 drawings and 100 000 prints can be seen in the course of temporary exhibitions. The Department of Art after 1800 covers the works of world famous artists as well.
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I had heard this museum had a great collection of Velasquez, Goya and Titian, but I also discovered a great collection of female artists from the 1600s. Female painters are so often overlooked to a point of being missing and it was great to see them exhibited.

3  Thank grlfrmnsk

Reviewed 13 September 2013

After visiting the National Gallery at the Buda Castle I wondered if the Fine Arts Museum could be that good. Yes it was ! It has an impressive collection of signifcant major European artists: Velasquez, Goya, Greco, Corot, Titian, Tiepolo etc. It was more extensive than I was exoecting. It is well worth the visit. Afterwards or before stroll around th park or take a delightful walk along the famous Andrassy St..

2  Thank Hugh B
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The Scheile exhibit attracted me. It was very good. The permanent dutch exhibit is better than most. I had thought I would spend an hour or two. I stayed four hours enjoying the gorgeous works of art. Not much modern. Most European 1600-1900...also good Egyptian art. It was a highlight of my visit to Budapest.

1  Thank misty1
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Went there in the middle of July. The museum is huge and they have a very nice exposition with Schiele going on!! Me and my girlfriend took the pass for all temporary exhibitions! It was very nice, after finishing the temporary exhibitions we were lucky to bump in the free museum guided tour, if I remember correct it starts around 14:00 (you can just ask about in the main entrance). The free guided tour is summarized of the most important sculptures and paints that they have in their permanent exhibition and it only takes 1 hour.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Excellent collection of art although due to the hot weather they closed the Italian section without mentioning it to us while we were buying our tickets. When we got to the information desk a very lovely lady mentioned the closure but said that ask the staff who should let you in for a quick look around the closed rooms. However, when we got there and asked an old man who was standing there, he let us in in the Raffeal room only and stood in our way and was very rude, when I said can we see the other closed rooms, he said only this room, the other rooms NO while standing literally next to my face for intimidation. I told him nobody told us when we bought our tickets about the closure and the info lady said that the staff will let us in. He again was very rude and did the same thing and tried to intimidate me. I was really disappointed and felt angry at the treatment we had from this particular man even after the staff went and told him about what they told us, he still insisted on not letting us in for some reason! However, I have to say that the rest of the staff (especially the info lady who speaks English) was excellent. She apologized and told us that they were not told about full closure. They shouldve let people know when they buy tickets.