“Awesome hike!”
Review of Janoshegy

Janoshegy
Ranked #69 of 459 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: The highest point in Budapest offers stunning views of the city and Danube River below.
Tallinn
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Awesome hike!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I took a bus 291 from Nyugati pályaudvar to Libegő (last stop, bought the ticket from the ticket machine, it was, I think, 350 HUF one way) - I wanted to go up with the chairlift, but - for my luck:) - it was out of order to maintance on that day. I say for my luck because otherwise I would have missed a hike where I did not see any people at all - only some lizards (very small ones), butterflies, birds and the view to the city. It was awesome with that beautiful weather. A little steep though, so I guess with rain it's not so nice. I got to the path when I passed the chairlift building and went along the asphalt road for a while (5-7 min maybe) until I saw stairs in the right - from there it's a beautiful hike to up. You get out from the forest right where the chairlifts go and from there is a little more to go to Erzebet tower. No ticket and again - what a view! There's a little cafe/shop also - cold water, ice cream, etc.
To get down I thought I go the same way but then - why not make it more interesting and find another way. So I thought I'll try out the Children's Railway, that is not just for children but where children work. So I went down, again through a little sweet forest path and I got to Janoshegy train stop and waited a little while. I took a train to Hűvösvölgy, it took about 20 minutes and cost 600 HUF. From there I took tram nr 61 to Szell Kalman ter and from there I went on with subway.
I was very pleased how everything worked out:)

Visited June 2014

36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“A trip to Janos-hegy”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

In May 2014 we were at Janos-hegy place. We liked very much and we want to suggest do not miss it when you are in Budapest. We found a parking place at Normafa Park and we went in a little trip to Erzsebet Kilato (Tower). There is a path (almost 2,5 km) through the woods or you can go on the road (is closed for the cars, but you can go by bicycle). We walked on the road. There exists a train only for kids, very nice. Another possibility to go to Janos-hegy is with a lift from downtown. On a hill is placed the Erzsebet Tower, which offers us an amazing view. Worth climbed up on one of the two symmetrical staircases. It is a beautiful monument which offers a sensational panoramic view over Budapest!

Visited May 2014
Pecs, Hungary
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Erzsébet kilátó (belvedere)”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The look-out tower was built on the highest peak of Budapest. 528 meters. Do not laugh!:-)) This is a mountain in Hungary. (The highest peak of the country is 1015 meters high.)
The belvedere was erected for the remembrance of Sissi (Elizabeth was the wife of Franz Josef emperor) in 1910.
No entrance fee for the time being. Open hours: 8:00-20:00
It is a nice and easy trip when you take the chair-lift in Zugliget (about 3 EUR one-way), then climb up (only 2-300 meters and not too steep) to the look-out tower and then you have plenty of directions either back to Zugliget or e.g. to the Children's Railway that can take you to other nice parts of the Budai-montains.
The landscape from the the top of the tower is breath-taking in clear weather.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank George B
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful escape from the busy city.”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This I think was my favourite place on my recent trip to Budapest. It was a nice escape away from the city to the lovely woods and surrounding area. But so close that it didn't feel like it was too far to go. Janos hill is the highest point in Budapest. ( Not Gellert Hill, like many believe.) The views are just breathtaking, you can see for miles up here and have a beautiful view of the city. On top of Janos hill is Elizabeth lookout, the view from up here is even more amazing, and you get a 360 degree view of the city. It was so nice to get back to nature after spending a few days in the city centre. We went on the children's railway to get up, you can also walk, I would imagine it's a long walk. From the railway we had about a 15 minute walk uphill to the top. To get back down we went on the cable chairs, which I really recommend, the view was amazing again and just a lovely tranquil experience. Was a lovely way for me to end out time in Budapest. Children's railway doesn't run on a Monday, useful to know to not have a wasted journey.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank daydreamer743
Tucson, Arizona
617 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 697 helpful votes
“Nice hike to reach the top: 527m - highest in Budapest”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

First forget about the TA map - it's completely wrong. Type NORMAFA in Google Map and it will point to it. If you are not sure which Normafa to choose from, type Normakert vendéglő
1121 Budapest
Eötvös út 59
This is a restaurant a few feet from the parking lot (go more north for it) - right hand side. This is if you wish to hike it. To go and climb to the tower and back should take less than 1 hour with a light jogging, stopping often. It's about 3 miles (the loop). Easy to not get lost in the forest: just run parallel to the road which will be on your left. At the end stairs or road lead you to the tower.
You may also go by car, then continue the road - Janoshegyi ut - and drive up there.
Choose a clear day and you can see as far as 40 miles.
The tower has 5 levels, although it looks like only 3 on the photos. If you are lucky it will be open and you can climb to the top. It was open on a Saturday morning of January.

Visited January 2014