“Beautiful Hotel”

Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace
Ranked #3 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Four Seasons Hotel did not disappoint. It was beautiful, quiet, clean, and a wonderful location. Because I prefer a quiet room, we opted for a room not overlooking the Danube. Our room overlooked a side street, which was fine - again, I prefer a quiet room. We didn't spend that much time in the room anyway.

The location is perfect to walk to any of the museums, restaurants, etc. The last day that we were there we swam in the infinitely pool HEAVEN. Will definitely return.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and it was DELICIOUS!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

I am so happy that managed to contribute to a memorable experience in Budapest. Our aim is to provide an unforgettable service for each and every one of our guests and I am happy to know that we succeeded in your case.

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 May 2013

This place is No.I in Budapest for a reason. It is absolutely outstanding. It is not just the super little spa. Nor the beautiful building. Nor the top-class restaurant with excellent breakfasts. Nor the classy bar with great martinis. It is the people. Whether the helpful door guys or the smiling reception people or the cocktail waitress with a fund of advice on how to spend your next day or the charming breakfast maitre'd or...the list goes on. Oh, and by the way, the riverside location right in the centre of things would take some beating. We had four nights there and frankly I cannot remember a better stay anywhere in many years of traveling.

Room Tip: Mezzanine rooms have great views of the river and tons of space.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

It is great to read your comments posted on Tripadvisor public website about your recent stay with us. I am glad to learn that beside the beauty of our building, the relaxing atmosphere of our Spa, the quality dining experience you had in our Restaurant and Bar, you especially highlighted our employees’ courteousness.

It makes me feel proud to learn from your feedback that our employees have repeatedly done their best to offer a professional service, whether making proper recommendations or just being smiley and helpful at the door and reception. I really appreciate your positive feedback.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

I just want for the record for people to know that the staff at the hotel was very accommodating and to be honest, I wasn't even a paid guest. There was a heavy downpour of rain outside and I was not properly prepared for the weather. I was drenched and soaking and the doorman allowed me to go inside to dry off for a couple of minutes. To the manager who is reading this. Thank you for having kind and considerate hotel staff that was understanding of my blight and predicament. I was staying at another hotel in the area but I plan for the future to book accommodations for your hotel. Wonderful service with friendly professional staff. Thank you again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor public website. It makes me so proud to read that our employees acted in a true Four Seasons spirit, giving you a helping hand and offering you shelter in the lobby of our hotel during an unexpected heavy rainfall.

Please be assured that I have already shared your kind feedback with all of them, as nothing is more motivating than learning that their assistance has been acknowledged with gratefulness and highly appreciated.

I hope that next time we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back as staying guest in our hotel.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

This was the first time I actually took time to take pictures of a hotel, Gresham Palace has amazing features. The breakfast was dissapointing compared to other 5stars around the same area but room service is really good and overall I'm very satisfied with this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us here at the Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace Budapest. I am extremely happy to note that overall you enjoyed your time with us and I appreciate your praising words of our beautifully restored historic building and its features.

Also thank you for pointing out that unfortunately you were not fully satisfied with our breakfast service during your stay. I am truly sorry if we were not able to meet your expectations in terms of selection. Please be assured that your comments are well noted and taken very seriously.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

My husband treated me to 3 nights at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace for my 40th birthday. Suffice to say, it was an amazing break from start to finish, mainly due to the wonderful hotel and the fantastic team of staff.

TRANSFERS

We arranged our airport transfers through airport transfers Budapest.com for just over 40 Euros return. No problem with the transfer to the hotel whatsoever (the driver was waiting as promised in arrivals with our name on a board), but there was a bit of confusion re the pick up time for the way back, but easily rectified by a quick telephone call. The best thing about this service was that the cars were impeccable and you don't have to pay prior to either the outward or return trip.

HOTEL ITSELF

Perfection!!! From the staff to the facilities - we just loved this place and could have easily moved in! I need to give special mention to Kate in the restaurant, Daniel in the bar, Petra on reception, the Concierge and Spa team and the Doormen - the place is very grand, but we were made to feel welcome and like old friends. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first evening which was wonderful and very good value indeed - followed by a gorgeous birthday cake. We also tried out the Spa, which was terrific with first rate facilities. We had a River View room with a balcony, which was just sublime. We will be sure to return.

TRIPS/ATTRACTIONS

The Concierge arranged tickets for an evening boat trip (without food) which was well worth it and very informative. I would suggest that you do that at the start of the trip in order to be able to apply the knowledge you have gained to your general sightseeing. The price of the trip included a drink (the wine was ok) and the commentary was via earphones to allow people from different nationalities to take full advantage.

We also bought tickets for the Szechenyi Baths from the Concierge, along with tickets for the metro to get there, as it is at least a 45 minute walk from the Four Seasons. The Metro is fairly easy to work out (just don't forget to get your ticket validated in the machine on the platform) and the stop takes you right outside the Baths. The Baths are certainly worth a visit and the hotel will provide you with a bag containing towel, slippers, shampoo and shower gel - all essential.

Other places we visited were the Palace and Fisherman's Bastion, just across the Chain Bridge in Buda. Don't pay to go on the upper tier of the Bastion, just walk to your left to possibly the most out of place Hilton Hotel ever, and there is a cafe opposite on the upper tier of the Bastion, where you can have a coffee and enjoy the fantastic views (unless you turn around to look at the Hilton, which really spoils the effect, as nice as it is inside, I am sure!).

We also walked out of the hotel and turned right along the river (towards Parliament) to see the Shoes Memorial on the Danube. Very moving and beautifully done.

St Stephen's Basilica is literally just behind the hotel (come out of the door, turn right and first right again) and worth a visit. You make a small donation to visit the inside and then pay to walk the 300 plus steps to the top to enjoy the panoramic view. There is a lift available if you would rather not take the stairs.

We also paid a visit to Celeritas Shooting Range for something TOTALLY different. They give you a code for City Taxis to make sure that you aren't ripped off and it was great to see the outskirts of the city too. That was quite an experience!

FOOD AND DRINK

We only had one evening meal in the hotel, but had a few drinks in the evening and a wonderful hot chocolate one afternoon. All fantastic. For breakfast, we visited the Kor Cafe (I wasn't impressed to be honest) the first morning, followed by a cafe near Parliament the second morning and then a fantastic find - Szamos in Vorosmarty Square (out of the hotel, turn left and just keep walking straight ahead for 5 minutes), where we had a lovely breakfast.

The second and third evening meals were spent at Gerbeaud (again in Vorosmarty Square) and then a gorgeous meal at the Borkonyha Wine Kitchen which is a short stroll behind the hotel.

Needless to say, we were really sorry to have to return home and the Four Seasons will feature at the top of our list when it comes to hotels in the future. Thank you for making my birthday and our stay so special.

Room Tip: River View every time!
3  Thank Rotherham-UK

Thank you so much for this fantastic, detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. Your great description as to what one can expect when visiting Budapest and Four Seasons Gresham Palace is highly appreciated. I was extremely happy to read that you felt extremely well in our Hotel and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay as well as managed to discover so much of what our beautiful city has to offer. I am sure many who plan to visit Budapest will find your review a valuable source of information.

Also please allow me to thank you for your recognition of our staff for their efforts in making you both feel so pampered and special. I will not repeat you and enlist all names you mentioned in your detailed feedback, although the examples you gave of the staff's efforts to ensure your birthday was a memorable one made me very proud. I was also happy to read you enjoyed the spa, as well as the birthday cake extended to you by the Gresham team. We do consider ourselves fortunate to have such talented employees and it is truly because of them that we enjoy the fine reputation we have achieved, nonetheless, it is most meaningful hearing it from our guests.

Your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you again for taking the time to share your personal Four Seasons experience with all the travelers around the world and we hope will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed in the Four Seasons Gresham Palace few times, and every time it is unforgettable and simply divine experience! Located right in the center of Budapest, it is truly the best place to stay there.

Room Tip: If you use American Express Platinum card they give you great perks like room upgrade, free dinner o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Thank you for your passionate words. It is great to read that you enjoy staying with us!

We hope should your travels bring you back to Budapest that you would continue considering Four Seasons Budapest your hotel of choice

Reviewed 21 April 2013

This hotel was grand but somewhat lacklustre and cold. The rooms were basic although the bed were very very comfortable. The bathroom was amazing and room service breakfast a grand affair. Breakfast in the main restaurant was disappointing with very limited selection. The location is good and staff friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace in November last year for your visit to Budapest and for sharing your experience and your impression of our hotel on the Tripadvisor public website.

I appreciate your honest feedback. I am sorry that you thought our building décor was colorless and cold and our room’s were basic. Although your comments were quite positive in relation to our staff and the comfort and overall grandness of our Hotel, we understand that its style was different that what you have expected. Also thank you for pointing out that unfortunately you were not fully satisfied with our breakfast services during your stay. I am truly sorry if we were not able to meet your expectations in terms of selection.

You may rest assured that we have taken a good note of your comments as they offer us a valuable opportunity to monitor and continually improve our facilities and services.