“Best hotel ”

Ranked #3 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Framingham, Massachusetts, United States
“Best hotel ”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a very special hotel. When you walk in, you feel as if you waking into a palace. Amazing location, over looking the Danube river, and over buda hills, great service and great breakfast. If you're going to Budapest, this is the place to stay. Loved it.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We were here for two nights and Budapest and normally stay at Sofitel's and decided to try the Four Seasons. This place will not disappoint. From the minute you walk in, you are treated like royalty by the staff. The only difficulty is if you drive yourself, the hotel is kind of tricky to find ((entryway) which looks more like an entry into a garage underground parking or sidewalk but it is the drive into the hotel.

The staff greet you at the door and immediately you know you are at an excellent hotel. Inside, the hotel is lined with marble floor to ceiling and is top of the line, well maintained, well outfitted, and tastefully decorated. The front desk staff gave us a choice of rooms and upgrades and went so far as to take us to see the rooms. We opted to upgrade to a suite from a Gresham room and were not disappointed. Our room was on the first floor with a beautiful view out across the Danube and looking at the castle. There can be a little noise on this side of the hotel as the road in front is busy - if you keep the windows open. If you close them, you can't hear anything.

Our room was very large with a couch, two comfortable sitting chairs, dining table with four chairs, work desk, king sized bed, annd two closets. The bathroom is outfffitted with a tub and separate shower as well as L'Occitane products. We were also treated to little gifts of chocolates and peppermints from the hotel along with fresh popcorn and cold sodas. While these gifts aren't much for the hotel to pay, they show they care.

The staff is very friendly and could not do enough for us. They had excellent tips for eating, sight seeing and shopping. They take this hotel to the next level.

The hotel is of a baroque style with old world charm. I would say probably 15 foot ceilings, well lighted, and very well decorated. I also like the two bay windows that we could sit in and look out at Budapest. Downstairs they have plenty of seating to enjoy the hotel and a glass of wine.

The work out facility is top notch and the pool is simply amazing with the disappearing edge. Bring your trunks as you will enjoy a dip in the pool after walking all day (yes it is heated).

The food is very, very good here and quite honestly isn't any more than at any other top hotel. I have heard people complain of the prices, but you will pay $30 USD for breakfast at the Ritz, Sofitel, or any other top hotel. If you don't want to pay it, go to a different place to eat.

I would suggest getting the breakfast deal with the hotel as it more than pays for itself.

Around the corner not five minutes from the hotel is an excellent Italian restaurant that is very comfortable and right out of Italy called Momma Trattoria. About ten minutes down you willfind another one that is a top 10 listing and well worth it. There are also plenty of other local fare choices within minutes of the hotel. There is also a nice outdoor running route the hotel provides for guests for those who like their exercise in fresh air. There is also a pharmacy about two minutes away out the hotel to the left and across from the Sofitel that is very convenient and out tothe left and another left and up about four blocks or so you will find two local grocery stores (small city like grocery stores). You are also just minutes (left anthen left again) from some nice antique shops and the rest of the city. Under 10 minutes and you are at the castle with a nice stroll across the bridge.

My only complaint is too many Americans at the hotel (yes, I am an American). It sort of takes away from the local ambience, but then again, everyone at the hotel working speaks near perfect English. This hotel is well worth the little extra you may pay over another hotel, but what you are getting makes it worth it. A little pampering now and then makes life worthwhile. I will definitely be back to this hotel and will look for more Four Seasons in the future. This was to be a one time Christmas treat and turned out to be a loyalty switch for us to another brand.

I also commend the two front desk girls (I know one's name was Sofia, not sure of the other) who were incredible. They personify what the Four Seasons brand is - class, friendliness, and making the guest feel important yet comfortable. They are both great employees (as are the others we came in contact with, all excellent).

The hotel reminded me of the Hotel Villa Medici in Florence, one of our favorites we have stayed at which also had comfortable class and excellent employees. We loved it here, I can't say enough about our stay and this hotel.

Room Tip: We liked the first floor, very convenient. To get away from outside noise, you may want to opt for...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am lover of luxury hotels and especially the Fours Seasons brand, having staid in Toronto, Doha, Singapore and many more Four Seasons, the only brand I found staff consistently calling you by name no matter how long you were gone, never forgetting your favourite drink or how you take your tea...

I staid there for my birthday for 4 nights in July, and everything good other reviewers say about the place is true! The only hotel I would ever stay in the Hungarian Capital.
Even though I have been treated to a wonderful chocolate birthday cake and card...
Still I was left disappointed.

The most important aspect of luxury for me is treating my body the best. At this front the Room Service, Restaurant and Spa all failed, with no organic or raw vegan options.
However, at our request, they would go shopping for us, getting some organic greens for salad and fresh green juice. Kudos to management. The disappointment is why wouldn't a hotel of this caliber only sell chemical free unprocessed foods in the first place? Then there was the wait and the ridiculous price for a green juice and salad. I of course couldn't eat the cake, as it was far from being vegan or organic or gluten-free.

Whats the point of having the most amazing gourmet dishes created in the Italian Restaurant by amazing chefs where the supplies are sub-standard? And then of course F&B is a total fail when it comes to value for money.

As for the Spa, although beautiful, its toxic pool did not entice, and having taken a treatment in which also toxic material were used I was left further disappointed. The so-called organic luxury lines that were on sale there, were of questionable quality. (I know my stuff when it comes to the beauty industry)

As for the room and its bedding and towels, I would love an enlightened hotel that would the very least have skin-sensitive rooms, where the sheets are washed in a eco-sustainable way, without chemicals. (YES it is possible! You just gotta be more creative and resourceful!)

We can do better!!! Come on Four Seasons don't let us down! I am happy to suggest ways and brands to improve the current situation!

Room Tip: We requested and staid in the quiet part, a high floor room having windows facing only the courtyard...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The location, views, accommodations and service were excellent! We had a very nice room on the 5th floor with a Danube view and a small terrace (highly recommend). They brought us a bottle of champagne and chocolates as we were celebrating our 10 yr anniversary- very nice touch. Spa, gym and pool were wonderful. Everything was within walking distance. The staff was very helpful. Definitely the 5 star place to stay when staying in Budapest.

Room Tip: Danube view (request terrace) was worth the extra price!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your generous feedback posted on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace in November last year. It is great to learn that you were deservedly honored and celebrated by us on your 10th anniversary and that you cherish beautiful memories of your experience.

Thank you for mentioning how much you liked your room with the view to the Danube as well as the excellent location and condition of our building. I also appreciate your praising words about our staff. Nothing is more motivating than reading praising words like yours.

Best regards,

Yves Giacometti
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Lovely location, well maintained property, spacious room, courteous and attentive staff and very good value. Only gripe was lack of tea/coffee facility in room, though available in lounge area. Definitely recommend for business or pleasure, will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I took my family of four here for four nights in December, 2013. We are fairly well travelled and typically are not on a very tight budget with respect to the hotels. Our room overlooked the Chain Bridge, which was quite special. The staff were very helpful, especially the Concierge staff which provided some great guidance with respect to restaurants, attractions, etc. The location of the hotel is fantastic! The room was quite spacious, which was a bit of a surprise based on our experience in Europe. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and had room service. The meals were excellent, but the pricing was high. Not complaining because we knew what we were getting into (this is the Four Seasons). But we enjoyed getting out for meals, which were a much better value. The lobby was very nicely decorated for Christmas. The little things that we enjoyed were the doormen stocking us with water, nice treats at turndown, the helpfulness of the staff, the facilities in general, and the location. We highly recommend this hotel if it is within your budget range.

Room Tip: we enjoyed having a room that overlooked the Chain Bridge and the Danube River.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The rooms were big enough and I personally liked them. Good room fresheners were used and the staff was friendly. They do not discriminate guests based on the rooms they select for staying. It is located at the end of the Chain bridge, which is famous. It is also voted the top 25 best hotels in the world and got a Traveler’s choice award for 2013. I felt it had historical elegance with modern amenities. They arranged a candle light dinner for me and my wife on request. I will not forget the courtesy they extended during our honeymoon stay in Four Seasons Hotel. The hotel has 179 rooms with 19 suites inclusive. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple