“Sets the standard”

near London, UK
“Sets the standard”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had stayed in one Four Seasons before in Canada, and the Gresham Palace
confirmed their unparalleled standard. Service and staff delightful, nothing too much trouble, the odd small error (eg a missing bathrobe) remedied with profuse apologies.
Gorgeous room, and they took great trouble to allocate one that fitted our pre-arrival request for a quiet location. Elegant decor, great condition (though I would expect a coffee maker as standard in such a well-equipped room/hotel).
Restaurant also outstanding. Try and take in their "Power Lunch" fixed price menu, and make sure you have one of their signature lemonades. Gorgeous - so gorgeous I didn't bother with wine!
The building is one of Budapest's finest, a turn of the century beauty facing the famous chain bridge and Danube. Touch of art nouveau but converted tastefully - open, spacious, etc. Hard to fault!
BTW, lovely, though small, infinity pool in their spa on the top floor. A quiet but refreshing way to start the day, and with the best appointed changing facilities I've had anywhere!

Room Tip: You pay more for a front-of-hotel view of the Danube and the Buda, but it facesthe main feed road to...
1 Thank Marianne53
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for choosing Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace for your recent visit to Budapest. It is a great honour to read that we were able to affirm the unparalleled service standard you experienced before at one of our sister hotels in Canada.

It was a great pleasure to read that you found the hotel building amazing; your room as quite as you required, and at the same time elegant and comfortable. I was also trilled to note that you were pleased with the quality of our “Power Lunch” menu as well as you enjoyed an indulging spa experience, highlighting our well appointed changing facilities.

Please also be assured that we have taken good note of your comment regarding a coffee maker in the guest room. Your recommendation is highly appreciated and will be highly considered. In the meantime we would be glad to make a note in our reservation system of your preference for a coffee machine for the future if you consider. Feel free to contact my assistant Andrea Fekete, at andrea.fekete@fourseasons.com who would be glad to assist you with this request.

My greatest joy is to read that you received on outstanding service from our staff. It is truly because of our wonderful employees that we enjoy the reputation that we have earned as a company, worldwide.

Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Yves Giacometti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 20 April 2014

.. it's hard getting up in the morning. Never been to Budapest before so lots to see, so you might understand why this can be a problem. My wife also had a complaint that it was to nice. And I agree that there is a limit to how nice a hotel should be. Gresham Palace is to nice.

If I were to compare Gresham Palace to other 5-star hotels i've stayed at one thing that stands out is the personlized service. If you speak with either the consierge or the doorman they will it seems remember you. The doormen often greeted me with my last name which startled me at first, and the consierge would ask me how I enjoyed the restaurant the other day. You feel like more than "just another customer". I wish i'd tipped more.

Now this is a really high-end hotel. It's really beautieful, impeccable service and really expensive. Now what I usually worry about in these circumstances is "fitting in", or "not standing out". And for most part of my holiday i'll be out sight-seeing, taking pictures and just walking about. So this means comfortable clothes. I want to dress like a slob, but I also want a very good hotel were I feel comfortable. The best thing here about Gresham Palace is that it is also a tourist attraction so it'll be all sorts of people in the lobby at any given time during the day, which makes the hotel seem less stiff than it actually is, and I can blend in with my camera and sneakers.

The hotel also has a spa which we used for half a day. We had a 75 minute massage which was heaven and also reasonably priced. After the massage me and my wife wanted to have a swim in the pool, but we haden't brought swim clothes. I sent my wife to buy some for us in the spa lobby, but be careful it was very expensive. I think it cost us 70 000 HUF and it was the cheaper of the swimming clothes. A lot for 15 minutes in the pool. They do I belive have exposable swimming clothes. Overall the spa was excellent, with a pool, hot-tub, steam-room and sauna. Dried fruit and drinks like iced water with lemon, tea etc.

Our room was originally one of the smaller rooms, but upon arrival we upgraded to a bigger one with a view of the chain bridge. So when I say our view from the room was outstanding this will probably not apply for all rooms. But if you want to impress your spouse or lover i'd recommend an upgrade.

If I were to point out anything negative about Gresham Palace it would be the price. It is very expensive compared to other 5-star hotels in Budapest. However you will get what you pay for. And what your paying for is that little extra.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view over the Danube!
1 Thank Lanfear23
I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed the beauty of our building and quality of our hospitality. It was so nice of you to take the time to detail all the elements that made your time at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace so enjoyable.

It makes me so proud to learn that your recent experience in our hotel was especially enhanced by the service extended to you by our Concierge and Door Men team. Your kind remark regarding the personalized service in our Hotel that sets it apart is much appreciated and very motivating for us to continue delivering the highest level of service and a customized guest experience. It is true, our staff put a great deal of thought into how they care for our guests and it is very encouraging when their efforts are so recognized.

I regret however, that you felt this experience was quite expensive, highlighting that the some items like the swim suites you missed to bring with you on your trip were quite costly; but I am glad and thankful that overall you felt you did receive good value for your money in our hotel and you would highly recommend us to the travellers’ world.

Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is situated in a great location for Budapest sight seeing, spa fab and great afternoon tea with amazing china made especially for the royal wedding with beautiful butterflies lush❤️ right by the river great view friendly staff lovely food what's not to like ?

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your praising comments regarding your recent stay at Four Seasons Gresham Palace. I was so happy to read that you had a wonderful and memorable stay with us.

I especially appreciate your feedback in relation to the Herend afternoon tea, since we have just recently launched this special promotion in association with this great Hungarian brand and I am glad you were one of the first guests who could enjoy this wonderful experience.

Willisau, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 April 2014

After few days in Budapest, my decision to save the best for last was paid-off. This Four Seasons hotel is exactly the same like others... Very typical THE Four Seasons. It never goes wrong when you choose to stay at Four Seasons. They give you only the best experience during your stay and surely you'll promise to yourself that you'll come back. If you intend to stay at the Four Seasons, please maximize your stay. Great hotel to relax and enjoy the great food.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for your most generous feedback!

It is so gratifying to read your recognizing words and your praise of our service quality. Please be assured that we highly value your patronage and thank you for being such a loyal fan of Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts!

We would be thrilled to have you back anytime in the future.

Kind regards,

High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel is in a great location to see many of the major sights in Budapest and then come back to a relaxing, elegant room. The concierge the great help and advice, in fact, all the staff was most helpful and courteous!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I was delighted to read that you were pleased with our facilities, location and services and you had a memorable stay.

Thank you for pointing out the efficient and attentive service provided by our staff, especially by our Concierges, whom you thought were helpful, knowledgeable and spot-on. It will be a great pleasure sharing your compliments with them.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2014

stayed here in Oct 2013. As we got out of our car the porter welcomed us by name and the reception also knew who we were-very impressive. Great hotel. Lovely room overlooking the river. As it was my birthday trip i even had a chocolate cake waiting for me in the room. Breakfast was good too. Comparing this Four Seasons to the one we stayed at in Prague,we felt this one was more personal and warm and we weren't treated as just another guest. Would highly recommend it. Great location as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Four Seasons Gresham Palace as a unique place for your birthday celebration.

I was extremely happy to read that our staff treated you with attention and care and you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. It is a great feeling knowing that the ambience, the view of your room, our location, as well as the tasty breakfast contributed to blissful days with us.

It is also wonderful to learn that our employees did not miss the opportunity to call you on your name throughout your visit.

We hope to have you back soon.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This place is SO beautiful. I planned a surprise trip for my fiancé it was his 30th birthday & it also happened to be our 4 year anniversary of when we started to date around the same time...so two celebrations! I had emailed the hotel to ask if they could do something special for us as we were celebrating two occasions, they were so wonderful and very accommodating. We arrived on 2nd April and stayed till 5th April. Firstly, they had upgraded us 3 x up, so we got a room that was over-looking the chain bridge!! A-MAZING! Special thanks to Agota who arranged a "romantic setup" in our room which consisted of rose petals on the floor as we walked in, a heart shape of roses on the bed, candles in the room and also a warm bubble bath with petals all around it and lights in the bath too! It was PERFECT! we also received fruit plate for two and a birthday cake surprise for my fiancé on arrival in our room which was so lovely, plus two delicious macaroons. (The romantic setup cost £25 which wasn't too bad!)

The staff, the hotel everything about this place is just so wonderful. Staff are so helpful and make you feel so welcome, no request is too much, they go out of their way to do whatever they can to help you.

As it was our anniversary on the 4th April, we had gone out for some sight seeing and on our return back to our room in the afternoon we found a lovely surprise from the hotel. They had placed a bottle of sparkling wine, flowers and some sweet treats with a lovely card to congratulate us on our 4 year anniversary - such a lovely touch!!

As part of my surprises for my fiancé I had organized with Falko (another BIG thank you to you!) a special table at the restaurant "The GRESHAM". When we arrived they welcomed us and had been expecting us - they took us to our table which was lovely, the best table in the restaurant, a view of the chain bridge. The staff were so lovely and they had organized candles and roses with rose petals scattered on the table - it was gorgeous and really made us feel like they had gone to every effort to make it a special night for us.

I also treated myself to a spa massage which again was wonderful, the facilities are great too!

Best hotel I've stayed in and is definitely 5*!! Thank you Gresham four seasons for making our stay so incredible and unforgettable. :-)

Room Tip: if you're going to get a room with a view of the bridge, ask for one on a higher floor, we were...
2 Thank niluu_2014
Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us here at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace Budapest. We are extremely happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience in our Hotel.

We are grateful for your kind words in relation to your visit in this unique building and delighted to read that the quality of our service we offered exceeded your expectations.

We are grateful that you selected our hotel for such special occasions, your fiancée’s 30th birthday and your 4th anniversary together. We greatly appreciate your trust and confidence in our service and in Budapest as a location for these unique celebrations.

We are also very proud of our employees who work hard to ensure our guests receive a memorable Four Seasons Experience, and your detailed account of their professionalism is evidence of our belief. Our staff indeed put a great deal of thought into how they care for our guests and it is wonderful when their efforts are so recognized. Such praise as yours keeps us energized and passionate about what we do and how we do it. I am sure all of them, especially the ones you highlighted will be thrilled reading your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you again whenever your travels take you to Budapest.

Yours sincerely,