“Spectacular experience”

Ranked #3 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Kalvehave, Denmark
“Spectacular experience”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We arrived around 09:15 a.m.to Four Seasons Hotel, and received a very warm welcome from the person in charge of the reception staff, he suggested we went in for breakfast after which they would try to organize a room for us.
We had a very nice breakfast with a very efficient team of waiters sat outside - hereafter we were shown up to our beautiful room, great bed, high beautiful celings and a wonderful bathroom, with shower and bathtop.
The hotel is very nicely situated, close to the shopping streets, attractions and lovely restaurants, just ask the concierge.
In the afternoon there is served High Tea and best of all with Piano music, I will hereby thank the pianist, who played the piano - you made my afternoon - it was Monday, July 28. I have been tought about music from my father, who has recently passed away. You offered me to tell you, what I would like you to play, so I asked you to play Charlie Chaplin's Limelight Theme and Doctor Zhivago - Lara's Theme, you played both theme's so beautiful thank you so much. Also thank you to the management because you have arranged for such a great pianist to play for your guests.
All in all a lovely experience - great value for money even it is costly to stay at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful feedback following your recent stay at our Four Seasons Hotel Budapest.

I was delighted to learn you had a fabulous experience with us due to the beauty of our facilities and settings, but mainly to the first class service extended to you by our team. We have always said that anyone can build a beautiful hotel, but if the service doesn't match the splendour of the property, it will not succeed!

It is with great pleasure that I will be sharing your gracious comments and your compliments with our receptionists, servers and particularly with our pianist, who offered to play any music you wished to listen to, and not only that he was kind and knowledgeable enough to offer this, but he was also able to play some music reminiscent of your farther.

Thank you again for recommending us to all Tripadvisor readers and travellers and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Until then, thank you for taking the time to share your personal Four Seasons experience on a public forum.

Yves Giacometti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This Hotel is beyond outstanding -- it is a palace which is completely 5 star modernized with every aspect of the facility and service top notch. Three perfect nights -- pool and fitness facility great, room service great, room quality AAAAA plus, with pampering service. Everyone in the Hotel seemed to speak perfect English and no question was bothersome or went unanswered.

Cesar, the Premier Doorman in the business at the Vancouver 4 Seasons recommended this hotel -- what a recommendation!

I need to do a recommendation for the Prague 4 Seasons as well where we stayed the first couple days of the trip -- also a magnificent 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river -- you will be snapping photos from your room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for painting such a fantastic image of our Hotel. I appreciate your positive notes regarding the quality of our accommodations, spa facilities, room service and particularly the excellent service offered to you by the staff. I truly appreciate your kind remarks regarding their professionalism and good command of English language.

We are extremely thankful for the Bell Captain’s guidance at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver, greatly appreciating his recommendation of our hotel in Budapest and we especially thank you for your confidence in our service in Budapest.

We look forward to further opportunities of welcoming you back to the Gresham Palace.

San Francisco
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a magnificent, unique property beautifully restored. It was built at the turn of the 20th century as the headquarters of the Gresham Insurance Company.I always appreciate a fine hotel that is distinctive and memorable Moreover, the location is very central. It is walking distance to the Chain Bridge and Castle Hill, the Parliament, and to St. Stephen's Basilica. The food at the restaurant (we tried breakfast, lunch and dinner) was consistently very good. Our room was large and spacious. Lastly, the staff at the concierge desk were absolutely superb.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I would like to thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at Four Seasons Gresham Palace in June 2014. It is indeed a magical setting and I’m pleased to know that you had such an enjoyable visit overall. We are obviously delighted to be located in this unique location close the various major sights in Budapest.

Thank you for your generous comments about the comfort of your room, your dining experiences in our outlets and the service provided by our knowledgeable Concierge staff, it will be a pleasure to share your remarks with them.

We value your patronage and look forward to continuing to welcome you to Four Seasons Gresham Palace Budapest.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My job requires me to travel internationally quite a lot -- having said that, my favorite hotel (and by extension, destination) out of all the places that I frequent is the FS @ Gresham Palace.

The hotel is situated on the Pest side (the eastern side of the danube), directly across from the palace and right by the chainlink bridge, the combination of which might just be the most idyllic place for night time photos.

The lobby is perhaps the most picturesque I've ever seen -- If one could imagine what the inside of a beautiful manor in Hungary was like 150 years ago, this is it. The lobby combines the darker grey tones associated with the eastern bloc with both beautiful glass/stained glass ceilings and windows. I could literally sit there for hours just marveling at the the architecture of the lobby without ever checking in!

The rooms themselves are equally well appointed -- large, comfortable beds with herringbone floors and traditional furniture. Rooms facing west have a perfect view of both the bridge and palace, along with the Danube -- if it's your first time in budapest, be sure to pay a little extra for the palace view.

The service in the hotel is outstanding, with each member of the staff happy to cater to your every request. As a business traveller, the fact that the concierge has tram tickets (5m walk from the hotel) available makes my journey to work as easy as possible. Note that as it's a service provided by the concierge, you can only purchase tickets in HUF (i.e. cannot be charged to the room).

To sum up, let me put it this way -- i would rather reschedule my business trips to hungary than come to budapest NOT stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a palace view room if available; avoid rooms facing north as there's a club/discotec dow...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
I would like to thank you for your passionate words regarding our beautifully renovated Palace.
I was delighted to see that you were pleased with our building’s location and décor. The transformation of this Palace into a Four Seasons Hotel was a tremendous task and the result is truly amazing, indeed. I was pleased to read that you appreciated the fine details of our lobby such as the mosaic floors, the stained glass windows and the glass dome.

I also very happily noted that beside the architecture and the design of our stunning Palace, you were also pleased with the services provided by our staff. It has always been our aim to hire employees with a positive attitude who are able to embrace the Four Seasons philosophy and share our common values. I was delighted to learn from you that we succeeded.

Thank you for writing and sharing this experience with all travelers who rely on Tripadvisor feedbacks.

Herts, UK
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Let me be the 833rd person to give this wonderful hotel a 5* review. Mr Yves Giacometti, must be the happiest GM of any hotel on TA!

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. Whilst I often visit Budapest, I usually stay at the neighbouring Marriott or Intercontinental but after many recommendations from colleagues I gave the Four Seasons a go. The experience was like turning left on a plane for the first time, which will make choosing to stay anywhere else in Budapest that much more difficult.

This hotel is opulent, like a top Dubai hotel but with class. Although not an old hotel, the historic building brings the history and tradition. Staying there felt decadent. People often wandered in off the street to admire the lobby.

The hotel has been described very well by others: the bathrooms are one of the best I have experienced with separate bath and shower and luxurious toiletries. The bed is deep, the bedding exceptionally comfortable. Housekeeping was good but for whatever reason bottled water was only provided at turndown, rather than during the day. It would have been nice to have water in the room on arrival.

Reception staff seemed to know my name by day 2 (which was surprising) and staff were professional and helpful. Concierge called a taxi for me and seamlessly had my luggage in the boot waiting for me when I arrived.

The (slight) let down for me is that the standard rooms have no view worth looking at. This is in contrast to the wonderful river and castle views afforded from the other riverside hotels I usual stay in. That said, if you want a view, you can always pay for it.

Would I return - yes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RSF1
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the quality of our services during your recent business trip to Budapest, especially as based on your feedback you were tempted to try our hospitality after reading numerous praising reviews about our hotel on Tripadvisor public website. I was extremely happy that these positive comments impressed and convinced you to stay with us.

It is true I cannot be more honored and proud reading all these wonderful feedbacks.

The same way I was delighted to read that the experience we managed to successfully create in your case prompted you as well to detail all the elements that made your time at the Hotel so enjoyable: such as our convenient location, the décor and the gorgeous views of our front rooms as well is the comfort of our rooms, bathrooms and of the beds.

Our people put a great deal of thought into how they care for your guests and it is very encouraging when their efforts are so recognized. Thank you for pointing out that our Reception staff called you on your name soon after your arrival to our hotel and that our Concierges were helpful and spot on.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

All went nice, clean silent very gentle people working there open and friendly nice food good position... What to say all is nice and well take care in this hotel, nice experince! I also tried the spa with one massage and was good! Really a luxury experince! Great! Great! Great!
Really a 5 stars days! Good to try!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
I am extremely happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and considered we offered you a true Four Seasons experience throughout your visit.

We are also very proud of our employees who work hard to ensure our guests receive a memorable experience and your compliments are evidence of our belief.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

this is my third visit to the four seasons hotel gresham palace. i have yet to find any faults and only find new ways to appreciate this hotel. facility itself is one of the most beautiful building in the city of budapest where full of amazing architecture. rooms are appointed with classic and contemporary furnitures and fixtures. balancing the scale to just right amount of classic and modern feel. every corner of the building and room are spotless and flawless. clearly its overseen by perfectionist.

staff are amazing. i can summarize them to two words: friendly and professional. i have travelled many places and it's not easy to find staff as a whole define them both friendly and professional. but they are in Gresham palace. front door, valet, front desk, restaurant, housekeeping, in-room dining staff are very good at what they do and they are polite and friendly. hard to write all the small details they pay attentions to but if you are frequent travelers you would know what i mean.

i highly recommend this hotel. i'll be back again!

Room Tip: highly recommend Danube river view. view of the river and beautiful architecture is amazing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DrJohnChathamCo
I am extremely happy to see that you enjoy staying with us and that you were again pleased with the quality of our service during your last stay with us in July. I would be very glad if you would want to continue returning to us in the future.

I am glad that you are still and you were always been fascinated by the architecture of the Palace, which is a truly a unique combination of historic elegance and modern comfort.

It also makes me feel proud to learn from your feedback that our employees are our most valuable asset, constantly striving to offer their best in a friendly and professional manner. Thank you for highlighting and commending several departments who were outstandingly polite and friendly.

I am sure all of them, especially the ones you mentioned will be thrilled reading your feedback.
Once again, thank you for your praising words and it is my sincere hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace Budapest in the future.