“FOUR SEASONS- A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS-”

Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace
Ranked #3 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Philippines
“FOUR SEASONS- A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS-”
Reviewed 15 September 2010

The most disappointing hotel stay in the past decade I have been travelling.

A series of unfortunate events. This about sums up our experience at this hotel. And this is an understatement.

Check in went smoothly. The front desk allowing us to check in early.

Room was quite disappointing. A bit cramp and the sloping ceiling made it feel even smaller and the sitting area a bit inconvenient as I bumped my head twice .. But the bathroom was very luxurious, spacious and well appointed.

In the afternoon, upon returning to the hotel, we passed by the concierge desk beside the dining room. I asked the head concierge lady Marta if they had any special brunch for the weekend. She looks at me and my companion really sternly and brusquely say, “NONE” . I was a bit surprised by the tone of her voice. So curt. She sis not even bother to offer us any other alternative. So, holding my patience, I asked her, “what do you have for weekends”, at which she looks at me sternly and says, “I said, we have no brunch”. I was really really flabbergasted! This is a 5 star hotel that boasts 5-star customer service. Is that how you talk to guests. In the end, she did apologize (but only after I complained) and arranged for a one-hour Danube cruise for us the next day.

After dinner on our first evening, I went back to the room looking forward to a nice soak in the tub after a long day. As the water started pouring , I noticed black particles and this rusty orange stain running at the bottom of the tub in several areas. Using the face towel, I ran it through the particles and the white towel turned black mixed with rust colored stains. It was disgusting. At which point I had to call housekeeping to do something about it. The response was quick and people from the front desk actually went up to check on this matter. The housekeeper apparently overlooked this when she did turn-down service earlier and our tub was never cleaned when we checked in. I must say, this is a major faux pa and oversight for any 5 star hotel, more so, for Four Seasons.

It was late and Sarlota, the manager offered to transfer us to another room. She was kind enough upgrade us to the room with the bridge view. But it was a hassle to repack our things so late at night and settle in another room. By the time we unpacked, it was too late and was too tired to draw a bath.

A really disappointing and stressful day. But the saga continues.

The following day, we walked around Budapest and after another long day we decided to try the hotel’s restaurant. Another disappointment. I ordered the lamb and my companion had a steak. When my lamb came,I actually asked the waiter if what I ordered was an appetizer? It was so tiny, I finished my meal in four bites without any exaggeration. The steak was so-so only at best. Although the service was very good.

After a disappointing meal, I thought, I could finally enjoy and relax in my tub. As the tub was filling up, I went out the balcony. After a few minutes, I noticed bugs flying inside our room. Apparently, the hotel failed to notify us that during this time of the year, they get a lot of bug problems. Nobody warned us NOT to open the balcony door or that we could encounter bug problems. To cut a long story short, after an hour of sorting this out, we had to move to another room again.

As I was packing my things yet again, I noticed my special travel pillow was nowhere in sight. After reporting it to the front desk and they investigated , we found out housekeeping took it from the room and it got mixed up in their laundry. It took them a couple of days to find it and can you believe that they were actually going to charge me shipping to return it to me. Wow! So I flew out of Budapest without this pillow. They did eventually ship is back to me for free.

By the time, we got settled in the new room, it was midnight and we had to catch an early flight the next morning, so went to bed exhausted, really stressed and unable to get to soak. But it just kept getting worst. In the middle of my already fitfull sleep, our door bursts open and all our lights went on. A man enters our room. I was so scared. Suffice to say, I didn’t sleep well for the second night in a row.

Upon check out, they only made us pay for one night. But this is besides the point- we came to Budapest and chose Four Seasons to be abe to gey a few days of blissful relaxation and a stress-free vacation NOT a freebie I would rather have paid for a mishap-free weekend rather than a nightmare weekend

A day after, their GM, Julien gave me a call while we were in Geneva already. He did apologize and asked me to relay everything that has happened. He knew some of the incidents, others, he was hearing for the first time. He generously told me over the phone that he wanted to send us some free room vouchers so he can personally make up for all the mishaps and bad experience we had. He went as far to say, that it’s up to us if we use it or transfer it to someone else. But rest assured,he will e-mail them to me that same day and hope we could be back in Budapest to use them.

Three days later, we get an e-mail from Julien, with him rescinding his offer as we already got a free night’s stay when we checked out. This is really bad form. After the bad memories and experience, I doubt if we were even returning to Budapest. But it’s the principle behind how this entire situation was handled. It was NOT as if Budapest is a destination that we will be going back to anyway after this very bad experience

Isn't this the kind of service you would get or experience from hostels or 1 star hotels?

To be fair, the front desk managers all tried their best to smooth things over . Thanks to Sarlota, Thierry, and Richard.

To the hotel’s GM Julien Carralero- NEVER rescind any promise you make to your guests- really bad form and you make it all about the money and NOT the experience. And once again, it’s not as if we were going back to Budapest again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
21 Thank CQM_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 5 September 2010

I stayed three nights at the Gresham Four Seasons, for leisure travel, sighseeing and wonderful food. Everything said about this hotel is true - it's marvelous! I had a standard king, with no view, but I loved it just the same. The service, comfort and location were all excellent!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 3 September 2010

PROS:
This hotel is in a gorgeous, immaculately restored Art Nouveau building. The location was very convenient to most of the major sites and museums and close to some great restaurants. Our room had a STUNNING view over the Danube: definitely worth paying extra to get this view! We really enjoyed using the small spa and our massages were excellent and good value.

CONS:
While I think the individual rooms are well priced at this hotel, the constant add-ons were very irritating. Internet room access was over $35 US dollars per day. Although our rate included breakfast, we found out at check out that juice and the fruit at the breakfast buffet were not included. This added over 100 euros to our bill!! There were concierge charges on our final bill for services that have been free at every hotel at which I have ever stayed.

While I thought the food was good, the restaurant is completely dead (never saw more than 3-4 tables occupied at dinner). It would have been nice if this hotel had some kind of rooftop bar to take advantage of the views over the Danube.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Loved every minute, what a fabulous hotel. Comfiest bed I've ever slept in. Loved the bar. Incredible service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Sandymount, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Wow ! What an amzing hotel with beauiful architecture inside and out. Definitley the best hotel in budapest by far. We had a beautiful big room with amazing view of the chain bridge. It was my birthday and they made me a delicious chocolate cake which was there when we arrived.

The staff was superb! So helpful and really went went that extra step to make our stay so special, Lagos the doorman especially was so kind! When we were goin to the out to visit the baths we were given a four seasons bag with towels, slippers and a bottle of water each. When it was snowing we were given a lovley big Four Seasons Umberellla and everyday a complimentary bottle of water going out sight seeing. It was snowing when we there which made everyting more beautiful despite the cold!

I went to the spa and had the Tokaji revitilising special package was very relaxing with a glass of complimentary wine at the end!
The pool and spa facilities <sauna, steam room) are excellent.
The food is the restaurant is very good the only thing I was dissappointed in was that their poached eggs for breakfast were very poor but other than that food was great!

Definitely recommend to do the bus tour and the baths the Szechini baths are the best!

I loved this hotel one of my favourites and Budapest is a wondrful, beautiful city with so much to see and do. We had a wonderful time and i would definitely go back1.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Beautiful hotel, amazing Art Nouveau features in the main reception. We had a great room overlooking the chain bridge and the funicular railway to the Palace.
Our room was huge with calm, neutral furnishings and an incredibly comfortable bed.
The main restaurant was excellent, great service and a very good breakfast in the mornings. Staff were helpful, smiling and couldn't have done more for us.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2010

this hotel was worth every $$$ we spent. the staff was great. facilities fantastic and great location. treat your self !

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family