“Couldve been better”

Ranked #133 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Manila, Philippines
“Couldve been better”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The hotel is large. It is along the main avenue of the Pest side. There are many shops and a couple of churches around but the vicinity appears a little seedy at night.
They have 2 lobbies---the main lobby is small but elegant whereas a second larger, less fancy one in the rear is used for group check-ins. There are several shops in the hotel that sell nice souvenirs ranging from the cheap and kitschy to finely crafted jewelry and local goods. Ask for a room with a view of the main street!!! We had the misfortune of staying in a room that had a view of a mini "courtyard" that was drab and dirty. (Seriously, couldn't they have transformed it into a little oasis or indoor garden with water fountains for better aesthetics?) The rooms, though spacious, had beds that were TINY-- good enough for a 5-foot tall Asian but undoubtedly uncomfortable for taller, bigger people. The bathrooms are small but clean. Each room is also equipped with many brochures and a couple of books on Budapest's history, the various sights to see and activities to do. They were very helpful!
The corridors were rather dimly lit and there were a couple of unsettling prints/ paintings hung on the walls.
There aren't many food choices at breakfast but the food is satisfactory. The buffet dinner was a different matter. Though simple in presentation, the food was superb in taste!
Throughout our stay, we encountered some staff that manged to smile but generally, the staff came off as unfriendly and unhappy.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Québec
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We have stayed in this hotel last October so I apologize for the delay in writting this review !

To be totally honest, I didn't really like the Best Western Hungaria. It's not a bad hotel at all, but it didn't fit my personnality. It's a huge hotel, really cold and unfriendly in my opinion. For example, we were not comfortable going out in the morning in our running shoes (all day walking) in the middle of many ladies in long dresses. Our first welcome at the reception was a little rude. The guy wasn't speaking very good english, which is ok, but he was not very polite. It was like we were disturbing him with our check-in questions. Again, I felt like I was not the type of customer they receive usually. The next day, when we went back to the reception to buy the hop-on hop-off bus tickets, we felt like we were disturbing again.

The room was clean and quite large, but would need to be updated ! All was very dark, gloomy, maybe because all the furniture was a dark brown. The bathroom was very clean also, shower was working well, but again all was very dark.

The buffet breakfast was very big, of good quality, with plenty of choices, but again staff was a little rude. Next to us was a table of real ladies and gentlemen, all well dressed, drinking champaigne for breakfast... Staff was running around them like little bees but didn't take a look at us at all. We also tried the Fiaker restaurant at night. Food was good, staff was polite, nothing more. Again, maybe not the type of customer they are used to.

There were two computers with Internet access in the lobby as well as a small store to buy souvenirs.

To resume, I cannot say that it is a bad hotel, trust me. It simply was not the type of hotel I am looking for.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I arrived here in Sept 2009, straight off the train from Vienna, and was glad to be able to walk to the hotel from the station just 5 mins away. On arrival, the foyer was busy, with lots of staff and people milling about. Check in was a little disappointing. I stood at the large reception desk while staff whizzed back and forth for 5 or 6 minutes - before eventually a staff member asked if I needed some help.
I had used an online booking agent, and the receptionist seemed perplexed when I presented my printed reservation from the website. After much typing on keyboards and consulting other desk staff (another 10 minutes), I essentially had to re-book a room on the spot - and ignore my online booking (another 10 minutes). It was not on their system and they couldn't phone the agent as it was approaching 11pm. Probably not the fault of the hotel - but a bad start nonetheless.
After booking a room for 2 nights I made my way to the room on the 3rd floor. It's a huge hotel, and is very busy, especially the foyer area. The room was a typical hotel room, and became a quiet refuge for me after my long train ride and check in problems. It was quite large, clean and welcoming with an en-suite bathroom that was also well maintained and clean.
The location is on a typical busy city street. Being the adventurous type I took a mid-night stroll to get the feel of the location - having booked the hotel without consulting a map, I was disappointed to find it is quite a bit out from the main city area. My fault for not checking a map! The area itself felt a little dark and under-lit - but even at midnight there were enough people about to make it a safe place to walk.
After a good first nights sleep - I bounded out the hotel to explore Budapest. I found that the hotel is close to the underground - and a few stops down the line gets you to the main cosmopolitan areas. The underground is quite old, and feels under-maintained and even a little grimy. It doesn't feel particularly safe (from a crime perspective) but I had no problems. And it's cheap!
So overall the Hotel was quite good and is quite a grand old building, with restaurants and bars located around the foyer with internet access points there too. It's a busy place - but that reflects the good pricing and quality of the rooms. I'd stay again - but next time I'd book directly with the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Chris2pherM
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Clean, more like a hotel than your average best western. The property is massive- truly big. Staff is not too strict, despite this being eastern europe. I've had much worse treatment in Ukraine and Russia. Rooms well apportioned and well equipped. Bathroom tiny but works. The hotel is NOT in the centre but then again where is the centre of Budapest? Parliament? Dont be so predictable. Hotel is 10min walk away from Andrassy - the main street of Pest (like Oxford Street). Breakfast is terrible but there is a great cafe across the road with free WiFi and great coffee.

Room Tip: go for cheapest.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sergpro
BestWesternHungaria, Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Dear Guest,

First and foremost thank you for taking the time and sharing your experiences with other travellers about your stay at Best Western Hotel Hungaria.
Our Hotel is the largest in Hungary and we always welcome guests from all over the world.
I was pleased to read that you have been generally satisfied with our services and our staff.
The Hotel is very near to the city centre and it is located at an interchange; the bus stop is almost on the doorstep while the underground station - which brings you almost every part of the capital - is about 3 minutes walk.
We really do hope you will shortly return to further explore Budapest, and we have the oppurtunity to welcome you again in our Best Western Hotel Hungaria.

Best Western Hotel Hungaria****
H-1074 Budapest, Rakoczi ut 90.
[--]
e-mail: agnes.lorincz@danubiushotels.com
Germania
Reviewed 26 June 2011

big room and very good breakfast almost like a brunch.
the staff was helpful and nice.
didn't like the area too much but looks like most of the hotels in Budapest are around there... at night is kind of noisy outside.
there are good public transportation connections to the Danube area, better with the bus than the metro.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
BestWesternHungaria, Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, and that you chose Best Western Hotel Hungaria for your stay in Budapest.
We are pleased that you had good experiences in general concerning our Hotel and its services and we thank you for your kind comments which are very important for us. We are glad to hear that our staff and our Beatrix Restaurant’s rich buffet breakfast satisfied your expectations.
We sincerely do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in our beautiful capital especially in our Hotel.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Although the hotel room was clean and adequate, the staff were very unhappy. They could use some serious training on smiling. Most appeared that they hated what they were doing and made it quite uncomfortable for the patrons of the hotel.The hotel was located in a run down are across from the train station. The area was dirty with graffiti everywhere. It was very noisy in the room as the hotel is on a major intersection. The best part was the breakfast where we made sandwitches for our lunch.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
BestWesternHungaria, Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Dear Guest,

Firstly I thank you for having taken the time to share your comments about your experiences in our Best Western Hotel Hungaria and we would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay.
We were sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the street noise in the room. If you had indicated this problem to our concierge during your stay he would gladly changed your room immediately.
Concerning the staff we definitely understand how important any service with a smile therefore we train our staff continuously.
It is our pleasure to read that our abundant buffet breakfast have met your expectations.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in our Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

The hotel itself seems like a relic from the dust blown 60s. The lone restaurant is run by waiters who are rude & wont hesitate to turn you out if you come in a minute after 10pm.
The location is in a dodgy place which is scary to navigate after a certain time at night.

The room itself had no iron & was rigged up to prevent theft of practically everything from the tissue paper & soap dispenser. I'm surprised the furniture wasn't chained down!

We could also hear the traffic from the highway - it was really loud.

There was ONE (that's right) computer with an internet connection in the main lobby.

Room Tip: Don't stay here in the first place.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mkkmkk
BestWesternHungaria, Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences about our hotel as your comments are very important for us.
We really regret that we failed in providing you the best possible service, and we are sorry to hear that not every waiter and every service were up to your expectations. We forward your comments to the relevant departments for revising.
Regarding your comment about the resturant I need to let you know that our a’ la carte restaurant (Fiaker restaurant) is open every day until 11:00 pm but certainly we will investigate your complaint and make the necessary trainings for the waiters to avoid any inconveniences in the future and provide better service.
Concerning the ironing service I kindly inform you that we have an ironing room which can be used free of charge by any guest.
You mentioned in your comment that the tissue paper and soap dispenser were fixed. I kindly inform you that we have to fulfill very strict standards of our hotel chain therefore these items are placed according to the mentioned standards and previously we have not received any complaint concerning this.
Best Western Hotel Hungaria is situated in the city center and despite the fact that all of our rooms have triple glazed isolated windows for some guest street noise may be disturbing. Please accept our apology about this inconvenience. If you had indicated this problem to our concierge during your stay it would have been solved immediately.
Our hotel provides free of charge wireless broadband Internet service in all our customer areas and in the lobby we have 2 WiFi stations (not one).

Once again we apologise for causing you inconveniences.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again here in Best Western Hotel Hungaria and convince you about the high quality of our services.

Best Western Hotel Hungaria****
H-1074 Budapest, Rákóczi út 90.
Tel: +36 1 889 4568
Fax: +36 1 889 4411
e-mail: agnes.lorincz@danubiushotels.com

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels