“Not fancy and not bad”

Hotel Hungaria City Center
Ranked #134 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located really near from the central metro station and tram so you would not be lost . There is a mall nearby so you will be able to do some shopping as well and there is a bus station just next to the hotel .

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
BelaCsapo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

There are newer reviews for Hotel Hungaria City Center

Reviewed 29 August 2014

This is a pretty well kept older property - but it is LARGE - approx 800 rooms. They seem to cater to bus tours and you can see large groups in the lobby or just waiting around. The place where you really feel the size is at the breakfast buffet. It can be a challenge to find seating and there are people everywhere. They seem to have a challenge keeping the food resupplied and you never knew what would be available. I would suggest skipping the breakfast option.

The hotel is right across from the Train station but is a good walk from the river and most of the tourist venues. The room was reasonable in size but older (Tube TV), and was kept clean.

This trip was booked last minute and my lodging choices were limited. If I return here I would be looking for a smaller property way closer to the river.

Room Tip: This place is so big it would be hard for me to make any suggestions.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Hotel looks quite old, however room was neat and quite big. Localisation of the hotel is convinient but it is pretty noisy neighborhood.
I would not recommend breakfast in the hotel restaurant, there is a large selection of food but in my opinion it is not tasty.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
BelaCsapo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for commenting regarding your recent stay at our property.
Thank you again for taking the time to comment. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was the last hotel stop on our central European concert tour (see my other posts for Prague and Vienna). My room was a bit shabby and had a hairdryer so old that it clearly had a front-row seat for the Cold War, but the air conditioning worked well and we had free wi-fi. One afternoon, as I was waiting for the motorcoach to take me to rehearsal, I only had about 10 minutes for lunch, so I grabbed a yoghurt from a nearby convenience store. I was eating it in the lobby when one of the front desk staff told me I wasn't allowed to eat anything there and said I had to go to my room. This surprised and shocked me me because people were eating from the lobby bar at nearby tables. I didn't have time to go back to my room, so I put it in my purse and finished it on the bus.

Regarding the hotel restaurants: Included breakfast for our large party was very good, but I was disappointed by the restaurant. We had dinner here on our first night and they never brought my mother's entree. Afterward, on the recommendation of a fellow traveler, we walked a couple of blocks to an excellent neighborhood restaurant called Ba-Bar, where she had a burger and I had a glass of wine. We returned to Ba-Bar a few times, but not to the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
BelaCsapo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for commenting regarding your recent stay at our property.
We are sorry about the inconveniences caused regarding your yoghurt eating. Yes, this is true: we kindly ask our guests not to eat and not to drink their food and beverages bought in a nearby convenience store, since we are providing them in our Lobby Bar and in our restaurants.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I like Best Western Hotel Hungaria because of its location, of its friendly staff and cleanliness. I discovered this hotel for me and my family in 2003 and try to stay there twice a year. I appreciate it very much that staff in the hotel can provide you any information you need at the moment. They meet any your request or inquiry immediately and act without delay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BelaCsapo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Apparently the biggest hotel of Hungary. Really old school. Small rooms, as well as correctly equipped, but oldish bathrooms. Beds are ok. Decoration is really at the minimum, even if they have tried to refresh all the tissues used in the rooms.

Room Tip: Do not choose the rooms of the internal courtyard, the view is disgusting.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank InnSi
BelaCsapo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is located very close to the main rail station and 2 km from the old city/Donau. The hotel could though use a makeover as it is a little old inside. Staff was very friendly and kind and breakfast has all you needed. A very large collection of local and international food.
Mini bar in our room was empty.
Overall a ok hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
BelaCsapo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Hungaria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014