“Just great”

Hotel Hungaria City Center
Ranked #132 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Great services, clean, nice room in quiet part of the hotel. Absolutely perfect, big choice for a buffett breakfast. Concierge very helpfull by searching where we go... :-)

Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AHAVA-gdola

Reviewed 14 August 2009

We always sleep there on our way to Vienna or other western destinations by car, but last time it was different- on a negative note. The room was dusty, bathroom very small, cosmetics in the bathroom were lacking and the minibar was completely empty. For a night it is OK, as it is conveniently located close to the highway.
Breakfast is rich- many choises.
Personell - OK, speaking good english and even italiano.
Good for transit travelers.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 7piranda
Reviewed 31 July 2009

I made reservations with BookinHotels.com. (Danibus BWHotel Hungaria) Sanal-Ozar Turizm in Instanbul Turkey)
Was given a US telephone number on website for contact. [--]
I made reservations in February 2009 and our credit card was immediately credited the funds;
May 2009 I had to change reservations from 2 rooms to 1 room with three persons.
was told it would take up to 6 months to refund my money.
The reservation had been changed but that I would have to speak to the hotel upon arrival about the third person in the room as they did not have that inventory available to them.
Upon arrival at the Hungaria Hotel, we found there had NEVER BEEN ANY RESERVATIONS MADE UNDER OUR NAME. The Desk Staff claimed they had contacted the parent company and they had no record of any reservations. I was given an email address which I immediately from the hotel email them; we are still awaiting any answer.
Never having been in Budapest before; we chose to stay at the Hotel and again were charged for the stay.
The Hotel was lovely; the included breakfast is absolutely wonderful; The Front Dest Staff is unfriendly, uninformative; and extremely structured in their customer service skills.

The conseiguer, however, was absolutely wonderful; housekeeping is excellent
The location of the hotel is about a block from the train station extremely conveniet.
We took the stop and go tour for 24 hours - recommeded highly- purchased at train station; however caution when purchasing cards for cell phone--not what they are advertised to be.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2009

One word to describe Best Western Hotel Hungaria is "ancient". The room is comparatively big but the beds are incredibly small, to be exact, narrow. Everything in the room is dusty. There is a very unpleasant smell when you get off the elevator on the way to the rooms. It is defintely not a 4 Star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ALangOntario
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Except the location, there's nothing worth about the hotel. It's not the big things (room was big, very clean, hotel almost luxurious); it's the small things:
- nobody came to refill the minibar; when we asked about it they looked at us surprised and said "u want a refill?"; it went on for 4 days.
-the internet connection was just a promise; "we will fix it today, maybe tomorrow, well, sorry, not yet, etc etc"
-the walls were so thin i was kept awake by the sound of the elevator stopping on my floor; or the man next door snoring
-in the bathroom there were no soap bars, no shampoo bottles, nothing; just two soap dispensers nailed to the wall - none of them close to the sink, but one of them very close to the WC...

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marrgot
Reviewed 17 March 2009

First to say that this was not my first visit to Grand Hotel Hungaria. I first visited back in year 2000 so I knew what to expect.

Arrival was good. Hotel has its own cab (which is a helpful fact I learned last time I visited), so it is possible to arrange for their cab to come and pick you up at airport/train station or wherever, and also to drive you to a desired location. I find it very helpful not to nag and negotiate fair price with some suspicious looking characters who will drive you to the hotel or any other destination the longer way. This way you have a fair on stand by, they know your name and where you go. You don't pay the driver, it is added to your hotel bill, just tip the man of course.

Reception staff was very friendly and I especially liked a word of warning spoken in a low tone by the receptionist (since I arrived at the hotel alone, friend was to come in few hrs): "We do not allow girls in the room". Ummm okay. I winked and said that I wouldn't anyway! Now some people would find that offensive, insulting or whatever since we all pretend to be service judge superstars when we travel somewhere, but I found that quite amusing with a thought: What things must have happened in that hotel for this man to find it necessary to mention this fact to me?!

Than we had a slight mistake. When I booked this trip I insisted on double bedded room with beds separated. They took me to a room with one big bed. A phone call to my travel agent, which followed instantly, and all was sorted in like 3 minutes.

Breakfasts there are beautiful and plenty to fill your tank before you have a go at the city. Spring is always most beautiful and romantic in Budapest.

Sheets changed regularly and staff is very decent. I did not notice any noise because we were out most of the time.

All in all, a nice, clean, charming and safe resort from which you can explore the city in a quality way.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank kresimirperadinovic
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Hi there.

I guess this excerpt from my letter to Best Western describes best my experience there:

"I am writing to you to express my disappointment with your hotel in Budapest which does not meet the requirements for the 4 star classification, nor the "Best Western" logo (which usually stands for quality).

Here is why I am saying this:
- the wireless Internet was not available due to technical problems
- I had to ASK for minibar refill
- bottles from the minibar were not picked up by cleaning personnel
- cleaning personnel needs to learn how to knock
- shampoo and shower gel were available only in dispencers (like in a shopping mall...)
- the hotel was very noisy (even at the third floor)
- non-paid TV channels were very poor in diversity
- ice was available only by room service request

The fact that you offer a clean room (which is perfectly normal) and enough space do not make it a 4* hotel. Best Western usually stands for good services, but I have encountered better conditions in Africa...(same 4* classification)."

On the good side now:
- check-in was fast
- reception is speaking English pretty well (and I've noticed also Italian, but depends on your luck)
- breakfast had a medium selection (but large enough to satisfy all tastes)
- it's close to Keleti railway station, if you're coming by train
- close to subway station and trolleybuses (75, 78, 79), so you can get pretty easily to the centre of the city
- clean room (but looking a bit oldie and some things would need replacement)

I guess it's up to you to decide if satisfies your tastes, but from the services point of view, it is definitely a 3* hotel, not 4* as advertised on Danubius Hotels website.

Oh, and btw, don't let yourself impressed by the entrance hallway. If you get a room with a view towards the inside "court" (consisting of grey walls) you'll get back to reality in an instant.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank KissTheRottweiller