“The best of Budapest?”

Novum Hotel Golden Park Budapest
Ranked #243 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We have just come back from Budapest, though the city itself cannot compare with beautiful Vienna, which we also visited.

Budapest still has a heavily sovietized, rusting, and dirty feel about it, and even now 25 years after the fall of the eastern bloc, no one smiles or seems in the slightest bit interested in visitors. In fact, the many Hungarians I met couldn't be less helpful. We were shortchanged by a food seller at Keleti station, and with the sort of sour flourish reserved for mug tourists. Be careful outside the hotel, as large gangs of swarthy tramps assault you for 'cigars'. It cannot be just a post soviet attitude, because other parts of the old eastern bloc are really clean and bright looking, for example Dresden and Leipzig!

The hotel was very comfortable, the beds excellent, and the rooms clean. The breakfast was the best I have tasted, although the staff looked constantly miserable and irritated at having to help customers and need lessons in smiling. I have been a waiter myself, and even I know that one cannot always blame the visitor.

This is a great hotel in an emergency, but I would recommend that Budapest be merely a stopover on the way to the incomparably better Vienna!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
SalesManagerGPH, Front Office Manager at Novum Hotel Golden Park Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Daniel W,

Thank you for your feedback and for pointing out those areas where necessary improvement can be found in a short time. We were sad, your global experience was not absolute positive but do hope that you return to Budapest and stay with us again given us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

We do hope you change your mind about staying with us again we can welcome you back to Golden Park Hotel in a short time.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We arrived at this hotel on the 27th April (2014). It was very late at night, and we had to wait a while at the reception, as other people were checking in.

Despite the travel agent requesting rooms on as high a floor as possible, they had booked us onto the third floor, but after quite a discussion with the receptionist, we were moved to the sixth floor, which suited us much better.

We had booked two rooms, one of the rooms was near the rear of the hotel, and was in quite a quiet location. My friend said that he managed to sleep well there. The room was clean, and fairly good quality.

My room was at the front of the hotel, room 629 if I remember correctly. The room was clean, and I was quite happy with it overall, the room had a balcony overlooking the Keleti square, which was a fantastic place to take photos from! The views across the square were amazing, and looked really spectacular at night.

A word of warning however, obviously with the room being at the front of the hotel, you could hear the traffic noise outside, however, this did not stop me going to sleep, despite the window being open.

It is also worth noting that the lift on that side of the building only goes up to floor five, so you have the choice of either taking the lift on the other side of the building up to floor six, then walking round the building to your room, or taking the other lift, and then going up one flight of stairs. What this also means is that the lift machinery is right next to that room, and it can be heard going all night! I managed to sleep through that, but some people may be bothered by the noise.

Personally I felt that the lift noise, and the street noise were a small price to pay, to get the excellent balcony, and the sweeping view, being an amateur photographer.

There did not appear to be any air-conditioning, but the room did have some kind of ventilation fan, it was quite noisy, but did bring fresh air into the room.

The free Wi-Fi was certainly useful, you just need to ask for the password at reception.

Each room had a small safe, which is very useful for storing things such as passports and money.

The breakfast was a continental buffet. I did not think it was anything special, but my friend really seemed to enjoy it, so I guess it is purely a matter of taste. I will say however that I did really like the pancakes! I strongly suggest that you try them.

We did not really explore the local area around the hotel much, apart from a visit to the local Mcdonalds.

The hotel is in a very good location for transport, Keleti Railway station is just outside the hotel, as well as two Metro lines (Lines 2 and 4 if memory serves) and all you really need to do is take Metro line 2 to Széll Kálmán tér, and from there you can get to pretty much anywhere in the city by tram.

If you are a tourist, I recommend buying a “Budapest Card” as it gives you unlimited travel on the city transport, this includes Trams, Buses, Trolley Buses and the Metro lines. The reception has a stock of them, making it easy to buy one before your first trip out into the city.

I do not know what the car parking is like, as we did not have a car.

There is an Italian restaurant next to the hotel which we tried for one of our evening meals, and I thought it was really good. The food was tasty, and the staff were nice.

I would recommend this hotel as it is in a good location for public transport, and was quite good value over all.

Room Tip: Try to get as high a floor as possible, The views are worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alloria

Dear Alloria,

Thank you very much for your kind and detailed review of our hotel.
We were so happy to read that we met your high expectations following your recent stay with us at Golden Park Hotel. I was glad to hear that you had enjoyed the hotel food and beverage facilities in italian restaurant as well as the quality and amenity of the accommodation how we well provided you. Concerning your comments about the all team, we have at the hotel, I have passed on your kind appreciative words to them.

Please do come and visit us again soon.
We look forward to serving you with our utmost dedication.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My family and I have just returned from our 4 night stay at this hotel. Having read the last month's reviews we were frankly dreading it but we relly shouldnt have worried. We were on the sixth floor (rooms 625 and 626) and, although the rooms were small, they were well equipped, clean and had extremely comfortable beds. Our problems with the safe and window were sorted within minutes of asking for assistance and, although the hotel seemed fairly full, our floor was lovely and quiet. There was plentiful food for breakfast. Yes, peculiar sausages and egg etc but only to be expected in a foreign country. Food was always replenished quickly - the pancakes which appeared on 2 of our days were demolished fast! Lots of continental options too. my sweet ooth loved having chocolate cake for breakfast! The staff spoke good english and very kindly let us leave our luggage there until we left for the airport at 3.30pm. There's a nice italian restaurant attached to the hotel (next door) with very reasonable prices. The metro line 2 is literally outside the hotel and it's easy to buy tickets from the machine (which has an English option!). Really, we couldnt fault the hotel (apart from the very grubby seats in the breakfast room). Perhaps we were lucky but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Golden Park Hotel.

Room Tip: We were on sixth floor. We had been lead to believe that the upper floors were smoking floors but ou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 156sam

Dear 156sam

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

It is music to my ears to know that how we served the best feel and looked after you. Your positive comment gives me a great pleasure to read that you had such a memorable stay with us. The Housekeeping department will be happy to know that you have found our hotel room to be immaculate and comfortable for sleeping.
It will give me real pleasure sharing with them both statements. We love when our „much valued” guests notice that we treat them with consideration and respect and we’re sure to pass on your review with all of team here at Golden Park Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you in the near future and to serving you with our utmost dedication. We’ll greatly appreciate your next visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was in Golden Park hotel last week, from Sunday to Wednesday (booked 3 nights with breakfast), with my partner and we both had a great time. After some reviews here we weren`t very optimistic about hotel but I can say it was great.

I managed reservation via mail with assistant of Director of Sales and communication was great. Two years ago I`ve bought voucher for this hotel (with discount from one of the providiers) and now we decided to use it. Stuff on reception was ok, if we needed something, we just asked them and if they could`ve helped, they did.

We came in Budapest with own car and left it in Arena Plaza, free parking garage. It is not far away from hotel and everything was ok with car.

We came in hotel about hour earlier that official check-in and there was no problem, room was prepared. In reservation mail we were offered with supperior room instead basic, with extra charge 10€/night for room. We booked supperior room which included coffee machine and... great view! On market infront of hotel. We were in room 202, I really recommend that you ask for this room at reservation. Or 302, I guess it`s above 202 :)

There was no problem with noise on street or anything, room and windows are very good isolated. Room was clean, WiFi was working great (very high upload and download - tested by Speedtest :) ).

Hotel has great location on main street, train station is across the street, public transport seems to be good. We didn`t use it, because we were always using our feets :) You also have option for bike rental all over town.

Food at breakfast was ok, there was something cold, something warm, toaster for bread, milk, coffee (black and machine), eggs (boiled and fried), vegetables, corn flakes, sweets, various juices.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our trip, weather also served us well, so we don`t have any complain about anything :) Would like to return to Budapest and explore town to details :)

Room Tip: Floors 1-3 are nonsmoking area, then some floors are smoking area.
1  Thank Slovenian_DG
SalesManagerGPH, Front Office Manager at Novum Hotel Golden Park Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Slovenian_DG,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am over the moon that you feel we provided a „good value for money”.
We are so lucky to have several public transportations that our hotel costumers need within 2 minutes walking distance.
We appreciate your kind feedback regarding the staff being very helpful – indeed our team is one of the assets of the hotel and we were pleased we helped you having a great time with us.
We take pride in our good standards of cleanliness and always aim to exceed clients’ expectations.
Our operation principle definitely states what you have experienced,it is always our pleasure to hear directly from our costumers that we deliver a positive filling in all cases as standard or upgrade room had been booked.
We hope you will come and have another memorable stay with us.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Was a bit wary of staying here after the reviews but actually really enjoyed it. We had a room on the top floor with views over not only the lovely Keleti Station but also of other buildings in the city. The Metro entrance is literally 20 metres from the front door and with both M2 and M4 going from there it's hard to imagine a better location. True that it's looking a little worn inside but the service was first class, the bed was comfy and the aircon worked fine. I'll be staying there again if I go back to Budapest - which I certainly will because it's such a lovely city

Room Tip: great views from 7th floor
1  Thank GordonT67

Dear GordonT67,

Many thanks for posting a comment following your last stay and for highlighting our hotel service.
We strive every day not just to meet our clients’ expectations but to exceed that, we’re delighted to hear that we have succeeded in doing so.
We always aim to offer „good value for money” rooms and comfy beds for a good night’s sleep and high standard of cleanliness.
Thank you again for you recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Returned last night from Budapest after staying in the Hotel Golden Park. I had emailed the hotel in Hungarian to book a room with a balcony. On arrival I was very disappointed to find although we had a lovely large room there was no balcony! I contacted reception who promised me one the next day as the hotel was full! We were moved to the first floor and did have a much smaller room but the concrete balcony was quite large so we were happy. The breakfast exceeded my expectations as it was listed as a continental breakfast so I expected the usual bread rolls and cold meats, there was an excellent selection plus hot section as well so I ate really well.

The hotel could do with a lick of paint but other than that is very good value for money. The staff were helpful, in both our rooms we could not operate the safe but within 4 mins of notifying reception there was someone sorting it out.

The hotel stored our luggage securely for us on our last day as we had an evening flight back to the UK.

All in all for the very little money we paid for this hotel it represents excellent value for money, but when you consider most people don't stay in their hotel room on holiday and it is only for sleeping in we were very satisfied, the beds were perfect and the pillow great for my bad neck, I have never slept so well anywhere.

Go to this hotel with an open mind and remember how much it cost you, this is not an expensive hotel, a bit of a walk outside to most of t he attractions but serviced very well with the metro right outside the hotel.

A taxi from the airport cost us around £25, a bit expensive but contrary to what has been posted previously there is not a train from Keleti station to the airport, the metro does go but you have several changes on route.

Budapest itself is like any other city, good bits and bad, I did not like to see the homeless eating out of the rubbish bins and there are a lot of beggars who will just not take no! Visit the Jewish Quarter and Margaret Island on the boat, both my favourite parts of my break.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SalesManagerGPH, Front Office Manager at Novum Hotel Golden Park Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Suzzanne,

Thank you very much for your comments,we’re glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Golden Park Hotel and you feel that we are a good value for money!
As much-valued guest, your review is very important, it helps us to improve the service and facilities, we provide here. Therefore, I am delighted, we have met your expectations making a pleasent mini holiday to remember.
Thank you for your feedback according to staff, we invest so much energy in training them to provide a good customer care and to make sure our clients leave us satisfied feeling, they have experienced during their stay.
We’re delighted that you found the breakfast in our hotel to be delicious, it’s our pleasure to share your kind words with the catering team.

We do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Golden Park Hotel.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Room was decently sized, faced the inner court-yard and was generally quiet, except for three groups of Italian students who prefered to communicate by shouting from balcony to balcony and running down the corridor. We politely asked the ones opposite our room to keep it down, but they ignored us, so we spoke with the man at reception, who said he was one of two staff members on duty that night and that he couln't handle all those people. We insisted on the fact that we were paying to sleep there but he didn't take much notice.
Otherwise, the hotel was very clean and the staff pleasant. We were not happy with the quality of the breakfast (everything seemed greasy and artificial), and the breakfast room was always overcrowded and noisy.
Internet connection never worked properly in the room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple