“Pure Class”

Danubius Hotel Gellert
Ranked #98 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The Gellert is a classic hotel constantly being renovated to maintain it's look. The rooms are basic but hey, you only need them to sleep and a base. Both restuarants are fab and the coffee rooms have fantastic cakes and ice cream.

The Roman baths are to die for as are the massages and the other services. The only draw back is the new Hotel reception to get to the baths there used to be an old lift with kind old ladies who you could tip when they gave you the towels etc it added something quaint to the set up. this is now gone as technology has hit the Gellert.

The city of hungary is just a great place to go I travel solo but always meet up with loads of people but hey I am Irish and sure we would talk to anyone!

Room Tip: Get to know the staff and they will look after you, I have been to this hotel 6 times in the last 7...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind review on TripAdvisor website,-about your recent stay in our Danubius Hotel Gellért,We are pleased that you have chosen to stay in our hotel.
Your opinion on our services is very important for the Management,and will help us to improve our services.You write in your feedback "the Gellért is a classic hotel constantly being renovated to maintain its look " Yes - we all wish it would be true.Yes indeed the facade overlooking the hillside looks fantastic,it had been totally renovated from the outside - ,but from the outside only...
So your next sentence is very true:"the rooms are basic ..you only need them to sleep and a base " We are grateful for your remarks like ""Both restaurants are fab and the coffee rooms have fantastic cakes and ice cream " .Despite the fact that as you put it "the only draw back is the new hotel reception to get to the bath " yes there used to be an elevator with kind old ladies " For your kind information the ladies became too old...and the elevator from 1918 became too old as well, and technically unrepearable...:So we had to find a new gangway/corridor to ensure direct acces to the bath for our dear hotelguests -and we have received a plenty of gratulations from our guests for this new solution...PLUS: there are three young ladies - bilingual - working behind a brand new spa-reception desk-- where you may get all info about the spa, massages may be booked and charged to your hotelbill lots of benefit that we did not provide earlier.
I thank you once again for your kind comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at the HOTEL GELLÉRT!

Yours Sincerely

There are newer reviews for Danubius Hotel Gellert

Reviewed 20 May 2012

I think this is a hard hotel to rate. I imagine, like us, most people stay here to take advantage of the Gellert baths. Staying at the hotel gives you access to the baths so it was very nice to get up in the morning and head to the thermal baths. After a day of sight seeing, we would have another relaxing soak. So, the ease of going to the baths was a real plus. The exterior of the hotel, lobby, and common areas of the hotel were attractive. As everyone else has stated, the rooms are in need of an overhaul. Although the room was clean and comfortable, it had a 1970s era decor. It wasn't bad but I think for the price of the room it was of poor value. The next time in Budapest, I think I would stay at another hotel. The breakfast was good with many options. The view of the river from the breakfast room was a nice feature. The thing that baffled me most was the arrangement with the television. There was a charge (I think about 25 euros/day) for "unlimited tv and internet". This seemed a ridiculously expensive charge so we opted not to use the tv. But, really? what hotel of this calibre does not provide tv? On top of it all, the tv in the room was a small, quite old model. Transportation anywhere in the city was very easy as there is a tram stop right out front.
Again, the hotel was fine but I think they bank on the fact that people stay there to visit the baths so they don't really need to do much else.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank viajero5
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a longer comment on TripAdvisor website about your recent stay In the Danubius Hotel Gellért,-
We are pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us,and we thank you for sharing us what we need to improve in.
First things first: - I would like to inform you about a serious misunderstanding it seems you migh have misunderstood our information text in your room.
Watching the TV in the guestroom is NATURALLY TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE!! there is an option for using unlimeted internet for 6200.-Huf /cca 25.-Euros/day
Since the 15th of April, we offer free internet use in the common areas of the ground floor and the mezzanin floor of the Gellért hotel!
We do really appreciate your feedback "Staying in the hotel gives you access to the bath,so it was very nice to get up in the morning and head to the thermal bath "-so the ease of going to the bath was a real plus"
It was a pleasure for us to read as you put it :"the exterior of the hotel,lobby,and common areas of the hotel were attractive,and the management fully agrees with your remarks concerning the state of the rooms:"the rooms are in need of an overhaul " and -"it wasn't bad but I think,the price of the room it was of poor value "
Let me refer finally to your last sentence "The hotel is fine but I think they bank on the fact that people stay there to visit the baths so they don't really need to do much else "
Our owner company -based in the U.K- /real estate co./ wanted to close down the hotel in 2008 for a total refurbishment,but due to the crisis they have postponed it.We do hope that the company is working very hard to raise the funds necessary for this "overhaul"
The management is really graetful for your detailed feedback, and we do hope to have the possibility to welcome you again in the Gellért Hotel.

best regards,

Duty Manager

Reviewed 17 May 2012

we had the impression to enter in the History. beautiful rooms, the service is good and the baths are amazing

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Just had a honeymoon in wonderful Budapest. Geller hotel is mightily impressive from outside and still grand inside although it may not have all modern hotel convenience's (no Air con) but defn worth the stay. Go for a superior room .at front..ask for balcony.. small but great view. Breakfast Inc was 1st class..all you need and set up for the day. But biggest plus..spa pools, saunas are historic and amazing. If you don't plan to use these and v short tram into middle is not your cup of tea then go modern and central. But for us honeymooners it was great value for money

• Stayed: May 2012
M_Vasony, Public Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time for a short feedback on TripAdvisor website -about your recent stay /honeymoon!/ in the Danudius Hotel Gellért.
We are pleased that you have chosen to spend your honeymoon in our hotel,your opinion on our services is of utmost importance and will help us to improve our services,thank you for your support!
We were more than happy to read - as you put it - "Gellert hotel is mightily impressive from outside and still grand inside...definitely worth to stay " ,and we do appreciate your following remarks : "Go for a superior roo at front ask for a balcony...breakfast incl. was 1st class..."
And last but not least you write : "but biggest plus...spa pools,saunas are historic and amazing..."thank you!
We do thank you once again for your kind comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at the Hotel Gellért -.

Yours Sincerely and my best regards

Reviewed 4 May 2012

I went with friends to an extended holiday as well as business. We booked an economy room with two single beds. The room was adequate for our needs, The beds were in an alcove and changed every day and there was area for sitting as well. We had a small mishap when the bathroom flooded. I think the economy rooms are those that will be refurbished last, they have windows to the inner courtyard so not much of the view. But I must emphasise that if you are looking for luxury which was in evidence, do not book an economy room. The Hotel oozed charm, the thermal pools were heavenly and the staff was helpful. I think I would have liked to have a balcony with a view of the Danube. Public spaces were lovely even the toilets had orchids in a vase. There was plenty of stained glass window, charming! Gypsy orchestra played at dinner. Perhaps next time I shall have a room with a view!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at the Gellert in a superior room for 3 nights at the end of March. We loved the hotel and the baths and will certainly stay again.

We chose to eat at the Brasserie on the night we arrived from Canada and had made a reservation several weeks prior through Budapest Restaurant Week. Our treatment at the Brasserie caused me to write my first complaint to Food & Beverage management after 14 vacation trips to Europe. We were not offered the 'special' menu and had to ask for it, From there on we were treated like second class citizens. Our waiter completely forgot for almost an hour to take our dessert order and then after waiting for the dessert for 45 minutes he had to be reminded to bring it, Only my husband ordered dessert and when it arrived it virtuall thrown on the table AND it was the wrong one!! He did not eat it. We could not even get our waiter's attention to bring our bill and we finally received it by flagging down another waiter. We paid and were on our way out the door to go back to our room when a management person came bearing the dessert that was ordered wrapped in a plastic bag along with his apologies. We did not accept his kind offer.

On return to our room, I wrote a letter to the F&B Director and the manager of the Brasserie but when we checked out three days later i had not received a reply. If we had received a reply ( I left my e-mail address), I would not have written this part of my review.

My service rating in no way reflects the Front Desk or any other part of the hotel - only the Brasserie.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank chillington
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I love this hotel and stayed there ,any times when I lived in Eastern Europe. Ok, so the rooms are a bit tired and could use a bit of a facelift, but the attached thermal spa is amazing!! Indoor and outdoor natural thermal springs, sauna, steam room, massage etc, all set in such a beautiful building. The character of the building is fantastic, especially the old fashioned elevator which takes you to and from the spa. Well worth a visit!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank shantitraveller500
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Sir,
Many thanks from the management for taking time for a short review on tripAdvisor website,over your stay in our Danubius Hotel Gellért.
We are pleased that you have often chosen to stay in the Gellért,and your feedback helps us to improve our services..
We really appreciate your comments like "I love this hotel and stayed there any times when I lived in Eastern Europe.OK so the rooms are a bit tired,and could use a bit of a facelift-"
Yes! we the management and the entire staff fully agrees with your remark concerning a "facelift" and we all sincerely hope that our owners -a Real Estate company based in the U.K - will soon raise the funds necessary for this renovation-long overdue.
Yes you are absolutely right when you comment "the attached thermal spa is amazing,indoor and outdoor,natural thermal springs,all set in such a beautiful building."
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our Danubius Hotel Gellért