“Beautiful but a little outdated”

Danubius Hotel Gellert
Ranked #95 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Brisbane, Australia
“Beautiful but a little outdated”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed as part of a tour for 2 nights. It really is a beautiful hotel in an absolutely beautiful location, overlooking the Danube River. The staff were very very friendly and allowed us to check in at 1030, which was unexpected. WiFi was good. And of course 1 free access to the famous Gellert baths. The breakfast was also very good.

Down side to the hotel. The rooms are very outdated, they just look old, there was a tear in the fabric of the head board over the bed. Also there was no air conditioning which really made it uncomfortable after exploring Budapest all day. We did have a pedestal fan, however no power points close enough to the bed to be able to use it.

Would stay here again, under the condition of having air conditioning or at least the ability to actual use the fan.

Room Tip: Try and get an air-conditioned room, and over-looking the river.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul N
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Paul N,

We sincerely thank you for your kind feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent holiday in the Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT! Thank you for having decided for our property. Many thanks for your praise on our location, the attentiveness of our staff and the excellent breakfast. I am very sorry I did not have the pleasure meeting you personally because I would have definitely offered you other room options.We had an extremely hot July and as we have now over 80 rooms with a mobile A/C unit the receptionists may have assigned one for you. Hopefully we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the GELLÉRT,maybe in a cooler period.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed there in July for only 2 nights. I also stayed there on many occasions in the early 90s... And frankly, they have not changed anything in the reception, and hardly modernised the rooms. My room was exactly how I remembered it... including the key..... The old fashion way.... Wifi and new TVs, with multiple channels (expected but not always the case in 4* and 5* hotels of a much higher category), large safe and a very complete minibar were the main changes in my spacious room. Everything looks a bit old but works to the perfection. And the price was really affordable. The breakfast is how you can expect it in a 4* hotel: perfect and huge, with may be a negative point on the coffee.... but this is unfortunately common.
The selling point of this hotel is the access to thermal pools and outside pool (in summer) : a beautiful place built in a charming old style with the hotel and magnificently preserved from exagerated modernisation. Congratulations.
Lat but not least : the staff is wonderful though very professional and perfectly trained: THIS is the real luxe, not the bling bling modern and expensive hotels you can find in just anywhere in the world. This hotel is classy. I loved it and I will always stay there when in Budapest again.

Room Tip: Don't expect to find a super modern room: just enjoy being in a hotel which had the privilege to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear msegard,

We would like to thank you for this very positive note about our Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT. We do really appreciate your most kind comments: "I also stayed there on many occasions in the early 90s, ... and the price was really affordable.. the breakfast is how you can expect in a 4 star hotel :perfect and huge".And last but not least "the staff is wonderful though very professional and perfectly trained THIS is the real luxe!” - a big thank you for this feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at our Gellért Hotel and would like to assure you of our best personal attention.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Gellert for three nights in the end of July. The service at the reception is excellent and the staff there is really helpful with booking restaurants, cabs etc. We stayed in a twin room (despite having told our travel agency we wanted a double room). on the 3rd floor with view over the bridge.

The room had seen better days, and in the bathroom there was paint falling off, the plumbing was working bad. We also had a problem with the shower head that wasn't working. After two calls to the reception however they did send someone up to change it. The room was missing A/C but we slept with the balcony door open. Despite some rain and storm there was almost no noise and made the room an okay sleeping place.

The breakfast was in my opinion not worthy of a four star hotel. The staff would, at best, offer you coffee after you finished breakfast and a lot of the guest just went to the staffs tables and served themselves instead. The breakfast has a good variety but is refilled uneven and often things were missing. When I asked for more dark bread the staff just shrugged their shoulders and in general it seemed understaffed at the breakfast.

The baths, who has another owner then the hotel, was great. But I still believe Gellert is living on it's old charm and on the fact that people believe the hotel and baths to be the same. It looked like some room were being renovated but there are still some rooms that don't seems to been touched in too long time. Next time I go to Budapest I'll choose to live somewhere who has a better total and that is closer to the center point, which now is about a 20 min walk.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elfmatilda
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Elfmatilda,

We sincerely thank you for your kind feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent holiday in our hotel. We thank you for your praise regarding the "excellent reception staff”.

The owners and the management have already prepared the refurbishment plans of the hotel, however at present we do not have the information when the renovation necessary will take place. We try to ensure the highest level of the breakfast, but it is a constant situation that all our dear guests would like to have breakfast between 9.20 and 10.00 and in this case the breakfast room may look full.

We would like to hope that the next time you choose to visit Budapest, you will allow us to show you the effort to put into making you feel more comfortable and mostly welcomed.

Yours faithfully,
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel's old style look is just what I expected, also friendly service was there almost all the time except the spa however lacking a/c costed us a one night sleep, next morning I went down to reception asked for the duty manager, Peter ( not the d.m ) came and quickly resolved the problem by upgrading us to a river view room which had a/c, as a hotelier I can say that this showed great example of empowerment, this is what guests want, quick resolution to problems, also I really enjoyed breakfasts and location is very good. The rooms are old, Wi-Fi works good everywhere in the hotel however I must say it is a great ambience with all those retro things

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear sonbasi,

We would like to thank you for this very positive note about our Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT. Thank you for having chosen our property for your Budapest vacation and for taking the time for this comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind remarks like "friendly service" and we do thank you for your praise on our receptionist, Péter, who has immediately after your complaint changed your room to one with A/C. "I can say as a hotelier that this showed great example of empowerment, this is what guests want, quick resolution to problems"- we thank you for this compliment! Many thanks for your praise on our location, the attentiveness of our staff and the excellent breakfast. We sincerely hope to be able to welcome you again. Since your stay we have introduced free WIFI at all part of the hotel, also in the guestrooms.

London
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is gorgeous and just what you'd expect from staying in a 4* hotel and period building.

Classic in style and just what you need with air-con, towels, toiletries, free wifi, dressing gowns, access to the attached spa etc.

I cant sing the praises of this place enough, it really is a case of you get what you pay for, and to be honest you don't may alot more for here than you would for any of the run of the mill apartments in Budapest -it worked out an extra £15pp for me and the boyfriend for here rather than the run of the mill apartment we were considering.
I would definitely say you get value for money here!

Service wise, the staff are really great and cannot do enough for you, I don't think I had to wait for anything during my stay- be that in the bar, restaurant, spa or at reception.

Talking of the bar- its worth a visit if only to see the beautiful Art Nouveau style of it!

The Brasserie next door is worth a visit, and if you wish to add your bill to your room tab you can, also NB if you have a Budapest card, you get a discount here.

You also get a discount in the Panoramic Terrace restaurant with your Budapest card which is useful. Re the restaurant, it was always busy, so be braced for this. Note this also tells you how great it is, as people not staying at the hotel want to eat here too...

Views wise, definitely ask for a river view- chances are you will get it, same goes for wanting a smoking room, or not!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view- we had 208 which was spot on!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Beverley F
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Beverley F,

We would like to thank you for this very positive note about our Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT. Thank you for having chosen our property for your Budapest business trip and for taking the time for this comment on TripAdvisor .

Your opinion on our services is of the utmost importance, and this type of very detailed information about what to do and where to go might be very useful for our dear guests in the future. It was a pleasure to learn from your comments that you had an overall positive impression of our hotel, its location as well the friendliness provided by our staff. We thank you for mentioning this very important information: "if you have a Budapest card you get a discount 30 % in the Brasserie and in the Panoráma restaurant!” A big thank you for sharing your positive experience with other travellers and we do hope to be able to welcome you back in the Gellért soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Proper old style hotel.
All interior is old style.
You step through the doors and you feel like you are in the 80-90's.
The light switches, the doors, the shower, everything very dated.
But not in the bad way!
If you are not too fusy or crazy for modern style, if You want to have a glimpse of how luxury used to be, I would highly recommend thia hotel.
Even though the interior ia dated, the hotel looks awesome. Got the Gellert Bath right next door.
Location is amazing.
Breakfast is overwhelming with ons of selection and they are all tasty.
And most importantly the service is 5 star!
(Pls note, due to the fact that the building is like a heritage site, there are only mobile a/c in the rooms. And not in all of them. So make sure....).

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Istvan K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on TripAdvisor about your vacation in the Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT. We are happy that you have chosen to stay in our property. It was a pleasure to learn from your comments that you had an overall positive impression of our hotel, its location as well the friendliness provided by our staff.
And finally thanks for your kind feedback on the breakfast and on the 5 star service Hopefully we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the Gellért.

Tamarac
Reviewed 31 July 2014

From the moment I crossed the bridge and saw the hotel I was mesmerized by the architecture.
The location is prime, right on the Danube. The front desk staff were personable and accommodating , Telling me that I had a Danube facing room with breakfast and Gourmet dinner included " wow for $400 US Dollars" for 3 nights. The restaurant staff was excellent, as was the food, my wine glass filled almost after every sip.
As others have said " go before renovations are done , and this true gem is converted into something beyond the reach of most travelers." The spa is also first class. I have had the privilege to visit 32 countries and this Hotel is in my top 3.

Jose Velasquez

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Alextraveler1
Dear Alextraveler1,

We do really appreciete your comment "I have had the privilege to visit 32 countries and this hotel is my top 3”. We would like to thank you for this very positive note about our Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT.

We are truly delighted to read that you had a great stay in the Gellért.

We were glad to read "the location is prime...the front desk staff were personable and accomodating the restaurant staff was excellent as was the food,my wine glass filled almost after every slip"