“Nice hotel, stayed for business”

Radisson Blu Beke Hotel, Budapest
Ranked #102 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Zug, Switzerland
“Nice hotel, stayed for business”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

quite an impressive lobby, not quite matched by the room. those are ok but a bit out of date. Stay ways good. my room faced to the back courtyard and it was quite. Breakfast was ok but nothing special.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
PeaceBudapest, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Beke Hotel, Budapest, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all let me thank you for sharing your experiences with the traveller community on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to read that you have a great first impression and I hope that you had a successful business trip in Budapest.

Thank you very much for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

PR Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
West Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We have just returned from a long week-end at the Radisson Blu Beke and were very pleased with our stay.

The decor of the hotel is a bit of a throwback to the 1970's/1980's - particularly the lobby and café area, but not in a bad way, kind of retro trendy.

The staff were welcoming and friendly. Our room was perfectly adequate, spotlessly clean and everything worked fine.

The hotel represented excellent value for money, we would stay there again on our next visit to Budapest.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YorksUK
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all let me thank you for sharing your positive experiences with the traveller community.

I am happy to hear that you spent a nice long weekend in our property. It is always an honour to read if our guests are satisfied with our services and they have a good impressing about our staff. I am glad to inform you that our hotel celebrated the 100th Anniversary in 2013 and our property is one of the oldest hotels in Budapest.

Thank you very much for staying with us and I do hope we may the pleasure again to host you at Radisson Blu Beke Hotel, should your future plans bring you back to our beautiful capital, Budapest.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Where do I start from? I had thought being refused entry into the breakfast room was bad enough even when it was included in my hotel package. Needless to say, that is the last thing anyone needs on their first day on Holiday. The rude staff told me in his nonchalant manner that "...Your room doesn't come with breakfast" after I have explained myself in every language posible that there must have been a mistake somewhere, he reluntantly called the Reception and after a lot of inaudible telephone conversation and lukewarm attitude, he said "Sorry" without looking at my face and gesticulating with his left arm which at that time I could only guess meant "You can go in"

The room smelled like a rat nest, very muddy and dull, the bath leaks on the floor everytime you attempt to have a shower. It was a joke for a hotel branded 4 star.

I was definitely proved wrong when I thought the drama was all over, the hotel staff would change anyone's definition of "Hospitality" to "Hostility" Checked out from the hotel and after 4 days I checked my bank, realised that the hotel had charged me almost double of the price and when I contacted them on the phone, The man who claimed to be the credit manager told me the fault wasn't theirs but the bank's. He also stressed, in his attempt to make light of the situation that this problem is common and they deal with this everytime. I was appauled when he asked me to call the bank: I told him it was his job to call the bank and make sure I get my money refunded as a customer, he hanged up the phone and when I called back I was told by another member of staff he had gone home and no one else available that could help me. I can't even imagine this level of service is possible in this certain age.

Since my first call till today, I have spoken to about five different members of staff including the manager on duty who have made no attempt to resolve the issue, the common word is only the account manager can help. sometimes they just put the phone down without saying anything. It's nearly 2 weeks I left that God forsaking excuse of a hotel and they are still holding on to my money. I wish someone warned me beforehand. What a disgrace?

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jay A
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying and sharing your feedback with us.
I am sorry to learn about your cons, nevertheless, your feedback is important to us to provide us with ideas to further improve our services.

First of all I was very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay at our hotel. I am very sorry for the fact that we could not give response to the issues raised and handle the misunderstanding. I would like to ensure you that your feedback will followed by several trainings.

Thank you for your detailed review again, it is a vital way to make improvements.
I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming back to our property at some point in the future and show you we really care.

PR Manager

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel is old. But this would be no problem. Rooms are a little outdated, but they are clean and they are really ok for the middle class city hotel. The location is very good for sightseeing and for going out for meals: you can find any type of restaurant around, coffee shop for breakfast or sight-seeing buses.
Yes, exactly about the meals - forget the breakfast in this Radisson - just go somewhere else. My experience was - horrible eggs, bad juice (!!!!!), no coffee... and everyone seemed like I was suppose just to be happy about it. Asked for omelet with vegetables, they put bacon in it, asked for coffee - it was full of grounds.
So, service - really not the high standard you would expect. The thing is that you have to ask for everything (even towels in the swimming pool - the pool is old, but the water was nice and warm), then to pay for every step you make in this hotel (like print one page in the business center - 1! page) and then you get no information or you get confusing or not correct information and then they are unhappy that you do not know! As if I was working in this hotel!!!!
Budapest is great though! So, it is still worth it to go, even if you chose this hotel. Just do not expect too much from this Radisson and enjoy the city!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LilaVilnius
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Radisson Blu Beke Hotel.
I am really sorry to hear that our services have not met your expectation. Your feedback regarding the quality of the breakfast will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

We would like to hope that the next time you choose Budapest, you will allow us to show you the effort that we put into making you feel comfortable and mostly welcomed.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

While the hotel is ok given the price and location, the service is very basic. No one is eager to help you with bags or open the door for you, but that's ok.

However one thing that I did find upsetting was the lack of interest in guest's problems.
On the second day of my week's stay in the hotel, I put my cross necklace (which is a religious thing for me and was a present from my father) in the pocket of the bathrobe provided by the hotel. After the room was cleaned by the maid the robe was gone as well as my cross necklace. I kept coming to the reception desk to ask about it but no one ever found it. Neither anyone ever bothered to say that they were sorry or apologized for taking things out of the room I was staying at. I really doubt they actually tried to look for it in the first place.

So my advice - keep ALL your valuables in the safety box when (and if) you decide to stay here.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank RaisedRussian
PeaceBudapest, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Beke Hotel, Budapest, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all let me thank you for your stay in our property and for your feedback.
I look into this matter personally and I consulted with the Housekeeping Department and the Front Office Manager.

During your stay you mentioned to our duty manager that you lost your necklace and as you indicated the case to my colleague, he called the laundry immediately. Unfortunately they didn’t find it in the pockets of the bathrobes. I am really sorry for its lost; I understand the importance of this necklace and I would like to ensure you that we did our best to find it.

I hope that despite of your mixed feelings we have the opportunity to regain your confidence in the future and we can welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Beke Hotel in Budapest.

Best regards,
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Pretty old hotel with slightly outdated rooms. When we tried to make some tea in the room (there was a kettle) light was cut off. However it was quite quickly solved. Breakfast was rather poor.
From positive sides: location and friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank U1traviolet
PeaceBudapest, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Beke Hotel, Budapest, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your opinion about the hotel especially the problem solving attitude of our staff and the central location of the property.

Again, thank you for staying with us. I do hope we may the pleasure again to host you in Radisson Blu Béke Hotel, Budapest.

Rita Tóth
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Let's start off by saying that this is a historic, beautiful hotel. But it also must be said that it's not been updated for at least 10-20 years. So, if you want a freshly updated new hotel, then go ahead and pay 30% more for it elsewhere.
What you get at the Radisson is friendly front desk agents, acceptable food, a good location near enough from the tourist areas to walk but far enough that you're in a "real" part of Budapest, and only a block from Nyugati train station (which has trains for much of Hungary), and, if you're a Club Carlson Gold Elite, quite good Elite status recognition.
I stayed twice at this hotel (5 nights and 4 nights) in June and October. Both times got nice upgrades due to my Gold Elite status. If you book a Business Class room, you can also get your breakfast delivered as room service, which is a great way to wake up!
PROS:
I slept well on the beds, though they are quite hard.
Friendly staff
less than 20 minutes walk to anywhere you need in the Pest area. Tram #6 in front brings you in half that time to the Buda side as well.
Many good restaurants within a 10-minute walk
Nyugati Train station a block away
Keleti Station a 5-10 minute taxi ride (10-15 minutes if you can do the bus)
cheap local gym/fitness center 10-minute walk away
Metro (direct to the station with the airport bus) is also a block away.

CONS:
Outdated rooms, old furniture
old lobby, not "historic" feeling, just 1980s old
no fitness room
wifi, while it works and is free, needs to be logged into many times per day

If the price is more than US$100 I'd stay elsewhere that has been upgraded in terms of comfort and technology--but is still in a historic building.
But usually the Beke is less than $100, making it a good choice.
I'd stay there again!

Room Tip: Front rooms are noisy, but that's also where the big suites are.