“Posh and Pretentious”

Ranked #20 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Al Ain
“Posh and Pretentious”
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for the last day of our trip mainly just to relax. The room was comfortable, clean and had everything one could want. The hotel was wonderfully decorated for Christmas and overall very nice. However, I was very disappointed that the only time children were allowed to swim are 11 to 3. Really? 11 to 3 is the worst time. This was my main reason for choosing this hotel. Overall, I think there are better more affordable options in Budapest, especially for those with children. If your single or a couple looking for a more luxurious hotel, then this is the place for you.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank dessoir
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
My sincerest thanks for your review of the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. I appreciate you taking your time to share your experience with all the readers. I noted that some of our services did not exceed your expectations. I kindly inform you that we are continuously displaying our spa policy on corinthia.com/budapest and other OTA channels, also during the reservation confirmation process and upno check-in indicating this information. We hope that otherwise your stay was enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards,
Thomas M Fischer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,098)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

just had a wonderful stay at a great hotel, a big thank you to all the staff for being so helpful and friendly especially to all those in the executive lounge
I could not find fault with any aspect of the hotel and its staff from the second we arrived to the last goodbye, Thanks again

Room Tip: upgrade to executive suites a must great valve for your money
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
It was a pleasure to learn from your comments that you highly valued our hotel and its facilities.Thank you for your high rating and mentioning the Executive Club, from its facilities our readers may find useful information on corinthia.com/budapest. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Corinthia in the future. Very truly yours,
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and when I discovered that the European Figure Skating Championships of 2014 were to be held in Budapest decided to return as I'd enjoyed my last visit so much. This visit was no exception. The hotel is well placed for transport which made it easy for me to return, after several hours in the arena each day, quickly and easily. Check in was quick and I was given room 3133. A comfortable room with all that was needed. Lots of storage space, room safe, mirrors, tea and coffee making facilities and even an iron and ironing board. The bathroom with bath and seperate shower was spacious and well lit. Plenty of hot water as and when needed. Breakfast is generous with a wide variety of hot and cold dishes, some cooked to order, as well as a range of cereals, fruits, rolls, sweet things, teas and coffees. All the members of the restaurant staff that I encountered were friendly and helpful.

One of my reasons for choosing this hotel was The Spa with its beautiful pool, sauna, two jacuzzis and related facilities. Unfortunately, I was only able to use the pool once as I managed to stub my toe on the marble surround of my shower cutting it open and breaking a nail. Instead of calling a doctor unnecessarily It was suggested that the First Aiders in The Spa would be able to deal with my problem. They were able to stop the bleeding and changed the dressings twice a day for three days with great cheerfulness. Thank you Attila and your cheerfully helpful colleagues. I hope to be swimming again in a few days time.

In many hotels there are shops selling jewellery and other expensive items but I found the little shop here which sells souvenir items, transport tickets and newspapers a very friendly place. The Manager offered to keep an English newspaper for me each day which he did even though I couldn't collect it on the day of publication. On his days off he arranged for a colleague to give the same welcome service. I found the staff on the front desk and concierge equally helpful.

Despite its grand exterior and exterior this is, I found, a friendly place to be. Overall a very good stay and I would return here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank bylchristi
I am truly delighted to know that you had a superb stay at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest.This kind of reviews give us always a new inspiration to do all of our bests for our guests. Thank you for your kind words. I am happy that you enjoyed the figure skating championship as well. I might recommend our website, the corinthia.com/budapest where you can find up to date information in the inspire me section about Budapest events. I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Kindest regards,
Chatou, France
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel, is a very good pick for a short stay in Budapest. It is conveniently located downtown, since most of the places to visit are within walking distance. Else, the tramway is stopping just in front of the hotel, and different metro lines can be reached in a 5 mn walk.
Inside, rooms are confortable, well furnished, and quiet. The communal areas are very spacious and luxury, the lobby is really impressive.
Wifi available for free in the whole hotel (in the rooms as well as in the restautants, and probably in the spa also).
Fantastic breakfast buffet, very copious and appetizing, with continental and local specialties.
Several restaurants, with generally affordable prices. I think it is wise to book if you want to test the bock bistro.
Large spa, with maybe too few deck chairs, with sauna, hammam and jacuzzi
All in all, a very good hotel, and with few more custom regards (presents, chocolates...), I could rate it 5 !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Herewith I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for having chosen the Corinthia Hotel Budapest for your recent stay. I am really pleased to read that you have a great stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our complimentary wifi service. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at our Hotel in the not too distant future. Kind regards,
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Beautiful decor and comfortable bed, Rooms are immaculate. Breakfast served on the top floor overlooking the town. Excellent choice of food for breakfast. Restaurant very relaxed not the usual bustle at breakfast. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
I would like to thank you that you have taken the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your kind words about our breakfast selection. From our restaurant facilities there are some more information can be found on corinthia.com/budapest. I do hope to welcoming you back to your next visit to Budapest. Kind regards,
Sevnica, Slovenia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Corinthia (20th - 23rd December) with my girlfriend, celebrating her birthday. I was so glad that I chose that hotel because everything was just perfect. We arrived in the evening and the building from the outside was very beautiful. The entrance and the lobby were beautifully decorated, the Christams tree was magnificent. We stayed in an Executive room on the 4th floor. I had requested a room facing the street and we got it. Though we could hear some noise from the outside (tram, emergency vehicles), that didn't bother us at all. The room was fairly spacious with all the amenities you should expect from a 5* hotel. We liked the turn down service. Breakfast was amazing and so were the staff. As soon as we sat down, the waiter would come and offer us juice or coffee... The Excutive lounge was also great. Though a lot less to choose from for breakfast, it was a calmer environment. Nibbles, deserts, non alcoholic beverages and 3 types of champagne were offered throughout the day, and alcoholic beverages in the evening. It was never crowded.

We liked the location of the hotel. The nearest metro station was about 5 min walk away and there was a tram station right in front. After a day of sightseeing we went to the Royal spa, where we went for a swim in a lovely pool, relaxed in a jacuzzi and the saunas. There were not many guests, but we came to the spa area after 8pm.

I would like to thank again to the General manager Thomas M. Fischer for the complimentary birthday cake and champagne my girlfriend received. She was thrilled. All in all an amazing stay at the Corinthia Budapest.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the Executive room, it's well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
I am truly delighted to know that you had a superb stay at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. I am glad to read that your girlfriend had a really great and memorable birthday celebration at our hotel. Thank you for mentioning our Executive Club services, from which additional information can be found on Corinthia.com/Budapest Executive Room section. I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future.Kindest regards,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. Since it was winter, heater was on. They did have big windows but since all deluxe rooms face to the atrium which is a closed area. We both felt a bit warm the first night. Hence we called the operator and they did help fix the problem... Sweet dream on the first night.

We encountered the same problem on the 2nd night. Though we were at the 5th floor (highest), we couldn't tolerate the heating system... We called at around 1am, the operator replied they would do something. I understood it might take at least 30 mins to let the cold air flow in... However, the situation was not improved till 3am. I called again and i realised that they had not done anything. You might think that I had thousands of reasons to get mad. But the staff proactively looked for solutions, say give me one more room that night so that I could sleep, and they would get their maintenance staff to solve the problem. Though it was not an good experience to have two rooms, but we did need to sleep. We accepted the offer.

The third night, everything fixed and we had good sleep.

Talking the hotel itself - beautiful, classic, well located, fair priced, helpful staff. Strongly recommend to travelers who want deluxe but fair priced accommodation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your generous feedback posted on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at Corinthia Hotel Budapest. Thank you for your useful comments about the heating system we will look after the solution. Thank you for your recommendation and mentioning our location, from which additional information can be found on corinthia.com/budapest. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at our Hotel in the not too distant future. Very truly yours,