“AC missing from the room suite”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Kalvin House

Hotel Kalvin House
Ranked #103 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Helsinki, Finland
“AC missing from the room suite”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We booked a suite from kalvin house as the difference was very little compared to normal room. the room had interesting details like grand piano (which was out of tune). Othervise the hotel was pretty basic, but as we visited the place in August the tempature was terrible. the room didn't have AC so the room temp was 32'C. they had a office fan in the room, which circulates the air inside the room but doesn't really cool it down. I wouldn't recommend this room during hot summer months. for winter it could be doable if you manage to find cheap price. Locationvise the hotel is convenient.

Room Tip: try requesting a room with A/C. as we didn''t have A/C the room was really hot.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Goiania, Brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel has great localization, between the metro station Kálvin Tér and the Central Market Hall (Nagy Vasarcsarnok). I knew I had asked for a simple single room, what I was not counting on was that the wi-fi would not work very well inside it. Huge failure, because I needed the conection very much.
Breakfast is simple, and there aren´t many options, but everything is clean and organized. Staff is very pleasant and helpfull.
Just around the corner, there is exchange bureau and a small market.
Besides the internet problem, I found the price I paid very honest.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank marcelathais
Elgin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Centrally located hotel, good connection for trams and Metro. Staff excellent in responding to requests and very good knowledge of their city. Room 307 was large with comfy bed. We visited in October and used fan in room on occasion. Continental breakfast was good and plenty of it. As in some other reviews my only criticism might be they could have a better selection of fruit.
Room serviced every day and hair dryer and full size fridge in room. No tea making facilities but we took our own travel kettle which was no problem for hotel. Our room on third floor facing on to street, noisy up till 11 - midnight but quiet after that. We found we were so tired after being out all day we fell asleep straight away regardless of noise. Had to visit chemist next to hotel and they were more than helpful. All in all a great visit for 10 days.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 409Patchworker
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Staff were charming and helpful at all times, hotel very central and all spotlessly clean but accomm is quite basic with no complimentary shampoo or paper tissues (or hair dryer, except in the "suite" I had on the first night). Towels old and scratchy and breakfast disappointing, with no fresh fruit except tired apples; poor choice of cereal, packet jam and dull bread - good rolls though and selection of meat and cheese and hard boiled eggs (all cold on second day). I had asked for quiet room and was kindly moved for my second night to inner courtyard room as heavy rumble of nearby trams snd other TRAFFIC disturbed me at front of hotel. Very good value as central and very nice staff but don't expect luxury. Nice tv in second room though!

Room Tip: If you are disturbed by traffic ask for room on inner courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

The hotel is located very close to the Market Hall and within easy walking distance to many different things.

I stayed here for only two nights and it is more than decent. My room was on the first floor and therefore it was a bit noisy during the day but during the night it was absolute silent. Even though the room had a somewhat musty smell, it wasn't a bad place to stay. The breakfast was quite good and the staff is very friendly with excellent English skills.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Uppsala, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

I was most pleased with my four-night stay at the Kalvin House during my business trip to Budapest. It is centrally located in proximity to be able to walk to many tourist must-sees; just down the street from the Great Market Hall, where you can purchase food and possibly bring it back to your room (if you so choose). The hotel staff was attentive and most helpful, both with ammenities in the hotel as well as with guidance when it came to tourist activities. Even though my visit to Budapest was during the hottest week of the summer (or so it seemed... with 35-40 degree days) and my room did not have A/C, I was able to create a cooler environment to sleep in by opening my balcony door and requesting a fan to move the air around in my 3rd floor single room. My single room was otherwise pretty comfortable and clean with classic old furniture, a spacious bathroom and tub, bedroom floor space to roll out my yoga mat, and a balcony with patio furniture so that you could enjoy the quietness of the courtyard. My only complaint was that the mattress was a bit too thin. The hotel only supplies hand soap and a packet of body wash, so I encourage you to bring your own products if needed. The breakfast quality was most adequate, though the room was a bit warm in the summer, but the ambiance was most relaxed. As a business traveler on a budget, this hotel selection fulfilled my expectations, so I would certainly recommend it!

Room Tip: Courtyard side rooms are quieter as opposed to street side. If you are not able to get A/C in your r...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night at this place on a hot summer day. The hotel is well located, close to tourist favourites. As already stated in it's name, this place is a four floors of an apartment building, convented into an hotel. I liked the way it gives the feeling of historic apartment living in downtown Budapest. It functions fully like a regular hotel. Both girls at the reception are friendly, helping with everything. The room is neat, decorated with classical furnishing. There is a sofa seat and many drawers. The mattress is thin and uncomfortable. The a/c does not cool the room good enough. I felt warm in the middle of the night, though I set it to 21 degrees. My room was at the penthouse (4th floor), so the windows were diagonal with built-in blinds. I could not manage to open the blinds, so lacked the sunshine while the a/c was on. The bathroom is clean and big enough for easy manoeuvre. The breakfast is rich and served in a nice room. No a/c, so a bit warm in summer. Finally, this hotel is a good choice for a budget traveler, I can recommend for even longer stays.

• Stayed August 2013