“Great location”
Review of Burg Hotel

Burg Hotel
Ranked #131 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location with St. Matthias right in front and all other sites are within walking distance. Restaurants and convenience stores are found within the vicinity. The rooms are basic and could use more electrical sockets. You had to unplug the TV or use the one in the bathroom if you had to charge your phone or camera or use your laptop. It could also do with nicer bedsheets and pillows - we had thin sheets and one small pillow. The breakfast room was located in the front part of the hotel so you has St. Matthias for your view. This more than compensated for the breakfast which was so-so. You had instant coffee and a very limited choice. The front desk staff was very helpful and honest.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Little Burg Hotel was phenomenal! Stunning views of St. Matthia's right outside your window. Situated on Castle Hill, you are steps away from both great tourist attractions and local neighborhoods that will give you "off the beaten path" options. The staff are Burg are exceptional. Always staffed, the desk staff provided great advice and directions, in English. They also booked taxis and excursions, provided change and made fast and delicious drinks right there in the lobby. The rooms are spacious and well maintained and updated. Free breakfast in the breakfast room until ten provided guests with both hot and cold breakfast foods in a relaxed atmosphere. I will definitely stay at the Burg Hotel again on our next visit to Budapest. Very affordable!

Room Tip: Room 111 is a spacious double room on the very end. Beyond beautiful views of St. Matthia's and...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ro_vaughan
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights to explore the castle district, it was the perfect location with a view of Matthias Church from the bedroom window. The service was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is a pleasant hotel in a very attractive location, and is very close to restaurants, bars and other attractions. It is fairly basic, but it is warm, comfortable and clean. The breakfast was also fairly basic, but was more than adequate with a reasonable selection of items. The staff were friendly, efficient and accommodating. If I were to return to Budapest I would be very likely to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the square and church have great views, although there is a bus stop outside them so th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We have stayed at the Burg twice-2007 & 2012. Both experiences have been fantastic. This is not a 5 star hotel, rather a friendly local with pleasant english speaking staff.
The view is the best. This is a good, clean & friendly safe hotel in a great location. what more do you want? Price in Jan. 2012 49euros!! Breakfast included. Love it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SydneyErin
luigiBudapest, General Manager at Burg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear SydneyErin,

thank you for kind words, we are happy, that you once more enjoyed your time in our Hotel. We hope, that we will be able to welcome you in the very next future in the Burg Hotel again.

Best wishes

Lajos Serényi

Reviewed 27 January 2012

good hotel for reasonable money and with perfect location; decent rooms and great view of church; polite and helpfull staff; if you do not want to spend money for hotel consider this place, not the best but good value for money

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sasarbg
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I traveled to Budapest by myself for the first time in November 2011. I was spending four days by myself and wanted to stay some place safe and affordable. I am 26 but was worried about doing the hostel thing by myself in a city I had never been in. However, I still wanted the hostel price. Enter: Burg Hotel.

When I first checked out the hotel online I could only imagine that for the price it would be very small, but after reading several reviews on tripadvisor I was sold. All the rooms have a view of the beautiful Matthias Church and it is located in the safe and antique neighborhood of castle hill. They also have a free breakfast - what more could I ask for.

I arranged transportation from the airport to my the hotel via email. The response was timely (same day) and when I got off the plane in Budapest, there was my driver waiting for me.

The room was clean and the bathroom was large and brand new. I had two double beds which was more then enough for myself and a small flat screen TV, not to mention an amazing view of the church.

The good: The blue buses pick up right outside the hotel (you can buy bus tickets there although they are a little more expensive, or not at all, honestly, I don't think anyone cares or checks, but better to be on the safe side, right?). The buses take you directly over the bridge to the pest side. You can also walk toward the castle and take the steps down and walk along the bridge yourself. I did this most days and it took maybe 20 minutes - 30 if I was snapping photos every 2 seconds. There is a lot to see on the Buda side esp. in the castle hill area, but you can really do it in a day. It is quiet at night and it makes it easy to relax after a long day of walking around the city. One block down the road is a small market which was perfect for water bottles and food before heading out for the day. I also bought some beers at night to relax with. The breakfast in the morning is served in a room on the second floor with an even more amazing view of the church. The breakfast is simple but has everything you could want - it's fresh - endless coffee/espresso and, its free! It is literally steps away from the Fisherman's Bastion which has amazing views all during the day.

Be aware: To get a real vibe of Budapest you must go to the Pest side. Bars, shops, restaurants, parliament, opera house, city park, heroes square - all of these amazing sights are on the Pest side. If you are looking for nightlife - then you must head to the Jewish quarter, also on the Pest side. I was worried about staying on the Buda side for this reason. But honestly, it is so easy to get over to the other side with the Bus and on foot that it wasn't even an issue. As I said before. It was great to come back to a quiet area.

The concierge at the Burg was very helpful. Everyday I had about 10 questions that he always helped me with. The concierge also book my transportation back to the airport as soon as I arrived so I didn't have to worry. If you stay out late (my average time back to the hotel room was about 4:00 AM) they lock the doors, so you have to knock to get in. That didn't bother me at all and I like the fact that they don't keep the doors open that late.

Otherwise, room was clean, bed was comfy & it has an unforgettable location. You really cannot go wrong for the price. If you are debating between staying in Pest or here, just remember that for the price plus maybe 1 dollar for the bus, you can get to Pest in 10 minutes.

Enjoy - feel free to message me with any questions!

Room Tip: I would ask for one on a higher level to get a better view of the church.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo