“Bad experience”

Ranked #118 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Moscow, Russia
“Bad experience”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night, and I can say, that this is the first and last time. First negative impression started with the fact, that the hotel has changed the type of bed, which I had booked: twin instead of king size bed (At the day of arrival I saw in the system, that the hotel modified my booking) At the hotel I had to prove that I made a reservation a standard room with king size bed (I had a copy of my reservation). Because I have platinum status in the loyalty program, I was sure that I would get upgrade of my room, especially, when I saw, that the hotel was almost empty. However, the duty manager who checked me in August 22 twice in a short period of time lied to me. On my question, if I get an upgrade, the manager said yes. On my question, what type of room they give me, the manager replied that I got a standard room. I was very surprised with this answer and asked, how she could call it upgrade, if I had booked a standard room. The duty manager replied,, that I would have a coffee machine in my room. I asked,why the hotel does not provide the next class of room. The duty manager said, that they don't make upgrade to suites. When I entered the room, I saw, that there was no coffee machine in the room, only a kettle. I made a picture and went down to the front desk to clarify, does the duty manager considered, that a kettle was coffee machine. The duty manager said, that she changed me a type of room from twin to king size, so they didn't have time to bring a coffee machine. Once again, I said to the duty manager, that I did not book twin, the hotel modified my booking, so she did nothing for me – simply changed the hotel mistake. Verifying the information in the system, the manager agreed with me and offered to move to the suite. The question, if it was necessary to irritate me and why it was impossible to ,provide suite initially. After I get the keys from my room, I went into it. At the same time, when I eneterd the room, in the room entered a lady with a coffee machine, which, apparently, the hotel from room to room. The lady did not consider, that it was necessary to say hello, silently put the coffee machine, water and a welcomed chocolate and left. The room was quite good, however, the hotel managment don't pay attention to details. Thus, the wire to the overhead lighting hanging from the ceiling, and was not fixed to the ceiling. The wires from the TV and a lamp on the table were irregularly wound coils.
It should be noted that the hotel is located quite far from the city center and accessible by public transportation is inconvenient.

Room Tip: It is far from the city center and it takes about 40 minutes to get to the airport. I don't advi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Budapest-Budaors, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear bunechca,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Budapest-Budaors. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bugibba, Malta
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We did not stay that much in the hotel, we mostly went around Budapest during the day, so we did not experience that much. The hotel is situated around 30 min away from the centre and it would be easier to rent a car to get around, saves you time and money, although beware that during the day from Monday to Friday from 8am- 8pm you have to pay when going to Budapest centre. Saturday and Sunday are free all day. the staff are very much helpful although on our check-in we found the night receptionist with no help at all, we were probably the last guests to check it, and he was like "thank god you are here so I could sleep". He did not even greet us or at least good evening. The rest of the staff were great especially the front office team in the morning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed there recently four nights with the family of four.
We've been provided with two interconnected rooms - nice, clean and spacious.

Breakfast - good selection of food. Kids enjoyed it :)

Staff - very friendly and polite - special thanks to Balazs from Reception and Andrea from Reservations.

Location - little bit outside of Budapest city center, but easy to get there with bus 272 which stops just outside the hotel - 15 minutes ride to the city.

Definitely would stay again !We stayed there recently four nights with the family of four.
We've been provided with interconnected rooms - nice, clean and spacious.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel itself is alright, but it definitely needs some upgrade. In the map it seems just 10 minutes away, but that's around 20 euros one-way. One of our bags was vandalized on the Vienna-Budapest train so it was good to have TESCO right around the corner.

Staff is very understanding, as my initial booking was for 2 nights, but looking at the distance, we planned to move to a hotel next to the river in the city center, and they understood without even mentioning the reason. Guess this happens a lot.

Rooms were a bit compact, but guess that is just European standard. The reason i say this is because i live in Dubai, where the key word for everything is in the superlatives, bigger, longer, taller... So don't take me wrong or offensive on this.

Breakfast menu was limited, but just perfect for a morning meal, with all nutrients available. I understood that Wi-Fi is charged, though i did not have to pay because of my priority member status. Breakfast does get busy as i saw buses parked outside and lots of people having breakfast who i did not see before, so most probably a contracted option for tour operators, which is ok since people won't be stying here much until its mandatory or they made a mistake.

Overall, i wouldn't mind staying here again if i have to.

Room Tip: This hotel is far from the main center, do your research before you confirm this place.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
norfolk
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Only stay here if you are passing though or on business. The hotel is in the middle of no where but very close & easy to the motorway. We used this hotel on our road trip to & from Turkey. we found the staff helpful & friendly, the room has all you need & is clean & comfortable. On our outward trip we spent the afternoon sitting in the garden & enjoyed a drink from the bar. On our return the staff even remember what we had had to drink & asked if we would like the same again. Both evening meals were find & again we enjoyed good service. Breakfast was busy as this hotel is used by coach tours,but again the food & service was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mainz, Germany
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel while in transit. Bed was horrible,hard as a rock, room was old not modern,breakfast was pro person 13 EUR not included in the room price. When I asked for the parking the lady at the front desk she said outside is free of charge but we can park in the garage which is not free!!! I stayed at 4 stars hotels before for less money that this hotel charging and I had a wonderful time. I will not stay there again for sure!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Budapest-Budaors, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Gri1020,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of product. I am sorry that you found our bed uncomfortable as well as the confusion regarding parking fees. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to your response and be of further assistance.

Lera P
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Hotel is ugly looking pink outside and over all gives the impression of a an outdated place. Inside things are better though - room I stayed in was up to date and nothing to complain about that. Staff very friendly and decent breakfast but annoyingly only one coffee machine in the breakfast room. You really stay here only if you have business nearby because the hotel is more or less in the middle of nowhere and the dodgy wifi is a very bad thing in this context. Really slow and not working properly - and you have to pay for it...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Budapest-Budaors, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear jvtraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the room accommodations you had. We would like to apologize you were not well satisfied with our breakfast options and our WiFi services. We also apologize for any shortfalls you have encountered that did not live up to your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M