“A piece of history”

Ranked #48 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Debrecen, Hungary
“A piece of history”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I attended on a conference in Budapest and had the chance to stay one short night in this Art Nouveau building. The beautiful lobby and the restaurant put us back to the old era of hotels. Marble sculptures and original furniture. The room was not as nice as the hall. Clean and equipped with the most important amenities. The bed was hard, what I preferred, so I slept very comfortably. I lost my key and the lady checked our identity before opening our room. I think the security is important and I was satisfied with this in the Astoria. The receptionist offered the loyalty program upon check out, we might return next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear ToyB,

Thank you for your excellent review.
We are all delighted that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel and you liked our rooms and the interior of the building. We strive to provide a secure atmosphere here in the middle of busy Budapest. I know you had to wait for the room opening, thank you for your understanding. The loyalty program offers advantages for the members, you can also apply for membership online: danubiushotels.com.
Thank you once more and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back next year..

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was selected by my company to take part of a math conference in the famous Astoria hotel. Other members were guiding me in the city center so I did not interfere a lot with the staff. The receptionist was very welcoming and kept my luggage until 2PM. I got a quiet room facing the courtyard what I did not like very much but my colleagues suggested to remain there. The street view rooms could be noisy. The room was very clean and of a good ambience. The maid did not speak english but she arranged me to iron my dress. I am thankful to have the opportunity to stay there and I must come back with my family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Corie L,

Greetings from the Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you for your lovely review.
I am very glad that you were choosen to take part on the conference and hope, next time you can bring your family for a city break to stay in our establishment.

Hengelo, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at the Astoria hotel because of our culture trip to Budapest. The Hotel is rather old fashioned, Restaurant and bar give a late 19th century atmosphere. Staff is friendly, our room needed a refurbishment, the beds where good. The noise of the street was sometimes unbearable.

The hotel is situated near the tube station Astoria. From the hotel most of the interesting places are easily reachable.
The breakfast was not very special, large groups of tourists are catered here. For a short trip to Budapest the hotel is OK.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hans O
Dear h_ouwehand,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you for taking your time to leave this comment on Tripadvisor.
I am glad that you mention the friendly staff, the good beds and the perfect location of the hotel.
Our restaurant is open for the public also for breakfast, however the 99 percent of the breakfast attendants are hotelguests. We strive to improve the choice of the buffet breakfast: we have hungarian specialities, canapés, fruits, rolls, breads, healthy food corner, english breakfast offer, freshly made egg dishes, etc.
I hope we can welcome you back to our house and you will have a more enjoyable stay in our hotel.

Best regards,
Bristol
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stepping in to this place is like stepping on board the Titanic. Loads of ornate wood, staff in formal dress, lots of doffing of imaginary caps. The hotel is celebrating 100 years of existence but, maybe, should have gone down a long time ago. Continuing the theme, the bar area is wonderfully set up like the lounge of an ocean-going liner.

The hotel was mostly catering to tour parties. The breakfasts were nothing special - of the quantity = quality style of catering - with the staff rushing around trying to clear tables or top up the food, large amounts of which was being grabbed by tourists whom you would think were never expecting another meal. We had a laugh at one couple who scooped up a large number of rolls and then made sandwiches from them before hiding the results in a large bag!

Our room was old-fashioned and pretty ordinary all round. Like most of the hotels we stayed in in Eastern/Central Europe, there was no ice-making facility in the mini-bar.

The best thing about this hotel is its location, right in the centre of Budapest, with good tram & metro links and only two metro stops from the station. Overall we thought this place offered a well below average experience although the desk staff were very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stavros45
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Stavros45,

I am honored that you have choosen to stay here in our Danubius Hotel Astoria and I am thankful for your exciting feedback. It is really worth reading for Tripadvisor users.
Thank you for writing about the original Empire style architecture of the lobby and restaurant, the 100th anniversary of the building and most of all about the perfect location and the friendly staff.
I am really sorry that you had a below average experience. We strive to keep the classical hospitality traditions in this beautiful house - with very reasonable room prices and we do not intend to higher the prices in the near future.
Thank you once more for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful Budapest at some stage in the future.

Yours sincerely,
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The wedding ceremony in the first floor was quite interesting. I hope we did not disturb the young couple. I was a bit disappointed cause we did not get our afternoon beer in the old fashioned cafe Astoria. I told the waiter we are hotel guests but they seemed to be too busy for us. Never mind, we had a delicious dinner and drinks in the opposite Bali cafe. We could not sleep in the night because of the ballroom dancers but they let us join to the party. Very decent hotel with very loud celebrations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Marton O,

Thank you for your top feedback regarding your recent stay here in Danubius Hotel Astoria.
I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time whilst staying here and you enjoyed the wedding party too. The restaurant manager is sorry because we were not fast enough to serve your requested afternoon beer.
Thank you once again and I hope we will have the opportunity to host your wedding celebration here in our establishment.

Danbury, Ct.
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is a grand old hotel near the center of Budapest. Approaching from the street, you are faced with a depressing looking facade, grimy with dirt, and name signs missing half their lights. Passing through the narrow entrance corridor brings you to an old fashion lobby, a fairly small area with some shop worn furniture. The staff is reasonably efficient, if not too friendly. The rooms are in somewhat better shape than the lobby, reasonably sized for an old European hotel, but with updated furniture, fixtures and amenities. One quirky feature was that the bath was split in two by the room’s entrance corridor: a tub room with a sink on one side and a toilet room with another sink on the other side. There was an HD TV and a room safe, but the safe used your ATM card to set and open the lock. This technique worked fine but left some people with an uncomfortable feeling concerning the possible recording of your ATM data. The hotel's free Wi-Fi was available in the lobby but not in the room.

The breakfast buffet, served in an ornate dining room was ample and reasonably good, but certainly not the grandest I have ever seen. There is a bar off of the restaurant on the lobby level that is ok, but stay away from the bar/nightclub on the lower level. There are hawkers working the lobby to get people down there, but it is a complete rip off. The hotel claims that it is not part of their operation, and that they are not responsible for it, but nevertheless they tolerate its existence in their lobby.

The hotel is located near the center of Pest, within a few blocks of the main shopping and restaurant areas, and convenient to several Metro and tram stops. The decent rooms and convenient location make this hotel an acceptable choice for the money but don’t expect too much in the way of luxury or amenities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gordon475
Dear gordon475,

Thank you for staying in our hotel and thank you for taking your time to leave this feedback on Tripadvisor.com.
The Astoria hotel was built in 1914. At that time there were a lot more elegant hotels in Budapest, like nowadays. We can not compete with the Ritz but strive to maintain the old hospitality traditions. That is why it is so important for us that you described our establishment as a grand old hotel and gave your appreciation to the efficient staff. According to most travelers' reviews, we have one of the most beautiful lobby and restaurant in Budapest and the hotel offers reasonable room prices. The facade has new copper borders and advertisement boards since Sunday but there are still a lot to do. I am sorry that the hall was not at your liking.
The tenant of the night club should keep the same standards as the hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience happened to you there. Please write me the details of what you experienced in the club to avoid the same situations. (laszlo.zsida@danubiushotels.com).
I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Yours sincerely,
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed here a few years ago with my Mother..over Easter...the Hotel put an Easter egg and chocolate bunny with an Easter card in our room! The bar was lovely..we had fabulous afternoon coffee! The room was very large and comfortable. Our room oberlooked the Main st and we watched a Volkswagon Beetle parade from our window. And across the street is a wonderful coffee cafe! And our breakfasts were delish....we ate supper here the first night of our stay...very good!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Luckylou56,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay here in Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you for your lovely review.
We are delighted that you had a memorable stay with us and that you gave us the highest rating. The city center of Budapest has improved a lot and there are a lot of renovations everywhere.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel at some stage in the near future.