“Old World Charm”

Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center
Ranked #51 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 13 June 2014

After checking out the reviews online for the Danubius Astoria, I decided to write one of my own from a different perspective. I am an avid traveler so I stay in many hotels. After awhile they all become a blurr. Either decent and clean or someplace you'd never recommend.. In Budapest at the Astoria, I found something that I call OLD WORLD FLAVOR. Yes it is clean, yes the elevator is narrow and slow, yes the staff is a bit stiff and forma but somehow the Crystal and smell of well kept highly polished old wood is inviting It"s AUTHENTIC. When I visit an old city like Budapest I want Ambiance and flavor. I don't want to hear hip hop in the lobby I want Beethoven playing softly in the back ground. Yes, It has been revamped but it hasn't missed a beat. I think it must have looked the same back in 1914 when it opened, just newer and more shine back then..

Our room was comfortable old style beauty with modern additions, like a hairdryer and makeup mirror. (oh yes) There was a big door between the bedroom, closing off the bath room. You didn't feel so exposed which made it ever so much more private for unmarried guests like myself and my friend Kate .A real shower with plenty of hot water. Pardon me my friends, but you don't always get that in eastern Europe. Our bellman was sorely shortchanged y me for his tip. I can only plead a lack of currency IQ. When I asked him if that was enough, he smiled and said "perfect madame whatever you wish to give is much appreciated". We saw him down in the lobby so often and he was always happy to offer advice. When I realized that I had given him $1.33, I about died of embarrassment. So of course we gave him more to make up for it, he kept saying " it's ok, no problem". In the US we may have not had a very pleasant an experience.

WI FI is only available in the Lobby which is an inconvience but the Lobby is attached to a beautiful Cafe and restaurant.how fabulously charming and decorated in that old world style, piano player teasing the ivories in the corner. Some guest with a little too muchliquid enthusiasm signing along. Now that's pleasant!!! Kate and I had tea and sweets there every evening. Pleasant memories..

Our one unsatisfactory experience was breakfast. There was a waitress that was snooty and rude so we left and went next door to Mickey D's, yep right next door.This is a great location. because he Hop on/ Hop off sight seeing bus is right across the blvd, The under ground is directly in front of the hotel The Jewish Ghetto sits just two blocks down the blvd and a block over. Go see the beautiful Temple it is a story of constant persecution of the Jews.The history is sad and uncomfortable but truth is the beginning of change. Persecution is still happening there today, but in a very suttle way. The area it'self is filled with great little pubs and restaurants . If you like history like I do you will give the Astoria a 2 thumbs up.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mimey
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Mimey,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in our Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you very much for your lovely review. Your professional description is a real help to other travelers to find a good old fashioned place to stay for a reasonable price.
I apologize for the trainees behaviour in the restaurant.
Please do not hesitate to drop me a line to prepare your next visit in our beautiful Budapest.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,246)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel has its name from the Waldorf Astoria, New York, NY. Right at the metro station Astoria. Rooms are noisy, clean, middle size, average. Restaurant is always empty, except at breakfast. The boys in the hall are friendly and give directions to any tourist places. We had a terrible noise during the night from outside our room and the night shift boy moved us to a deluxe room. The one man reception desk was handling 3-4 things in the same time. We have paid 80 EUR for our room, this price is not four star level. Good value for our stay.

Dear Mr Jaksitsch,

Thank you for your historical review about our Danubius Hotel Astoria.
I am glad that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and hope that you will return soon to our marvellous capital.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Astoria hotel opened 1914. It still has similar glory but of course time has done its work. Atmosphere here is nice, rooms are comfortable and clean. Service is very good, especially in the lobby. Elevators are slow and may feel uncomfortable in case you are in a hurry. Free internet available only in the lobby, if you want to use it alo in the room you need to pay extra. You can get Budapest Cards from front desk but prepare to pay in cash only. Aircondition and showers work well.

Room Tip: 5th floor provides small balconies. Less traficc noise rooms are on the side street side e.g. 514...
1  Thank Pekka56

Dear Pekka56,

Thank you for staying here in Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you for your positive review.
I am delighted that you were satisfied with the service of the groundfloor staff and that the shower and the airconditioning were at your liking.
We introduce free WIFI at all part of the building this Summer and hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

It was so clean and comfortable the bed was exceptional We stayed at a few places on our trip in Central Europe and Astoria was the most pleasant. We had a quite room on the side street. The receptionist offered a more expensive room with better view but iur decision was to keep our quiet one. We would not stay in a five star hotel, Astoria is simple but friendly and perfectly located.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Susy,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in Danubius Hotel Astoria.
I am delighted that you were satisfied with the cleanliness of the rooms, the comfortable bed and the friendliness of the receptionist.
I look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel is well located in the heart of Pest. We leave early in the morning for the training sessions and come back at noon for lunch. The matches start early in the afternoon. So we just walk to the venue and back to the hotel, very easy. The ladies are very busy here with cleaning of our rooms, they do an extremely hard work and we are very satisfied with them. The rooms could be more spacious for two men. We will return next year to win the trophy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Players,

It was an honor to host you again for the lawyer's World Cup.
Thank you for this very positive feedback, I will pass your compliments on to all on the housekeeping team.
We look forward to welcome you back to the Danubius Hotel Astoria next year.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Hotel is well situated for shopping, touring round the City and just a short walk away from the Danube. The staff and service is excellent and the decor and cleanliness is also excellent. The bedrooms and bathroom are very spacious. The breakfast is very good with a lot of choice of either hot or cold food. The Restaurant attached to the hotel is very good with excellent food and service. We could not fault this hotel at all and whilst we were there the hotel celebrated its 100th birthday. Everyone spoke English so there were no problems with the language. The staff on reception were very efficient and could not do enough to make our stay very pleasurable. I would highly recommend this hotel when staying in Pest.

Room Tip: The Hotel is on the corner of two major roads in the City so you will get traffic noise if you have...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for staying in our hotel and thank you for your lovely feedback.
I have especially enjoyed reading that you have appreciated the efficiency and friendliness of our staff. That is one of our main priorities at Danubius Hotel Astoria. I will share these comments with my team and hope to be able to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Well situated hotel for major sights and transport. Elegant and classy public areas. Bedrooms were spacious and en suites a good size, some with bidets. Beds were very comfortable, no sore backs in the morning. Staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast was a buffet with an excellent and varied choice and you could order your eggs cooked any way you chose.
Looked at the dinner menu on the first night and didn't fancy the choice but wanted to eat there as the restaurant was lovely with original features. Looked again a few nights later and the menu hadn't changed which was a pity.
Overall I would have no hesitation in booking here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Morag T
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Morag T,

Thank you very much for taking your time to leave this very positive review regarding your recent stay here in Danubius Hotel Astoria.
We are delighted that you had excellent breakfasts, comfortable beds, helpful staff and that you would return back to us after an enjoyable stay in Budapest. We strive to provide a wider choice of dinner dishes in our Cafe Astoria Restaurant.
Please do not hesitate to drop me a line for your next cultural and culinarytrip to Budapest.