“Well, well, well....”
Review of Hotel Gloria

Hotel Gloria
Ranked #237 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I can't say much. To be honest, I guess I should be satisfied with the overall experience, since the price my boyfriend and I stayed was low, so I guess it's expected. To be exact:
We made a reservation with 20 euros per night incl. breakfast 5 months prior to our visit. So yeah, it's pretty cheap, if you want to find a cheap place to stay.
The location: about 4 km away from the city. So you definetely need to use the subway/metro. And then walk about 1 km until the hotel. So it is a little bit tiring. Oh, and there is public transportation until 23:00, so you have to be back early.
The room: old furnitures, some of them a little bit broken. My own bed was squicky. And our room was noisy as well one night. No, no.. not because of the street. Because of another couple. Big minus: only hungarian channels on the TV, no english or german, something more international anyway..
The breakfast: it was ok. There was a variety, which however became boring after the 3rd day..
The service: nice people and stuff, especially at the reception. They were helpfull and explained us everything we needed. Only the lady at the breakfast room spoke no English, just a few German.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vasoulinho

Reviewed 10 May 2013

I have stayed at Gloria for 4 nights mid April 2013. I must agree there is a mistake with star rating. There are only three stars now and I think this better reflects the standard of this hotel. Clean towels changed daily, clean sheets and comfy beds.
There was fine food and friendly staff, all that you need for short stay. Location of the hotel surprisingly good- two metro station from the city centre- not even 5 minutes.
I would recommend Gloria for people like me; travellers on a budget, those who are not too fussy, who appreciate good company and prefer places with a nice atmosphere from the expensive hotels where guests are anonymous to each other and staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MMPPM
Reviewed 17 March 2013

read some reviews and to be honest wasnt looking forward to it! but pleasantly surprised ,friendly staff, warm quiet room bathroom could do with verall but where in England would yu get 4 nights B&B for 35quid!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jens f
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Friendly staff and some reasonable English but the temperature was -6C and they just kept the heater off in the bedroom, despite our million calls to the reception to complain. Left the hair drier on all night to warm up the place. Very noisy guests next door and again nothing was done by the reception after complaints. Breakfast all right and easy access to buss stops and tube station / trams. We are glad that the city is amazing but the experience with hotel was poor.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2013

On viewing pictures of the hotel prior to confirming the booking we were more than aware not to expect the Hilton but upon arrival we were nothing short od appalled and quite frankly disappointed to have The Hotel Gloria as our abode for the weekend.
Do not be fooled by the homely and reasonably presented reception... After a brief check in due to the receptionist being more interested in her Facebook page than welcoming us and running through the hotels facilities was followed by a finger point in the direction of our room.
We proceded to exit reception and tackle the stairs... Step by step it became more apparent that this was not exactly home from home. We are both in our early 30's and live in a modest barn conversion and like nice things. However, we do not expect anywhere to be vastly superior to our home but did no expect the following...
After breaching the first flight of stairs and turning the corner to the 2nd flight we were hit by a foul stench of engrained body odour, mould, smoke and the unmistakable stench of rising damp!
We knew before even entering the room this was not a god sign and dreaded opening the door to our room... Dark, damp, disgustingly dirty, furniture a charity shop would reject, mould in every inch of the bathroom, broken fixtures and fittings, camp beds poorly disguised with a timber surround that creaked with every movement and not even the simple and relatively expected PAIR OF CURTAINS... There was one missing, we was left with one curtain that covered three quarters of the window. I tried to un-gather in the hope that the curtain would then cover window but to no avail. I turned to discover that the missing and presumably broken curtain was being used as a bed throw. The carpet we would not of dreamt of walking bare foot on as its the kinda of carpet you wipe your feet on the way out.
Also, do not be fooled by the location, this is located on eerily quiet poor lit streets that I myself would think twice about walking alone after dark. After speaking with local they too advised not to go out after dark in the area.
Unfortunately we arrived at the hotel close to 11:30pm thus unable to source alternative accommodation.
We reluctantly had to stay the night but checked out first thing in the morning after booking another hotel on the other sine of the Danu river called the Ragnum Hotel which justified every single star, an absolute stunner of a hotel. We booked the Ragnum through www.laterooms.com for a last minute deal, £33 for a superior room which is less than we paid for 2 nights at the Hotel Gloria. Even though we had paid for 2 nights we could not bare spending another second in this shocker of a hotel. On checkout, the receptionist said "you realise you are not suppose to be checking out until tomorrow?" I said yes I am aware of this but to be frank and honest with all due respect this is not a 4Star hotel and for that reason I wish to check out. I was then told that i would not be refunded for the unused nights accommodation, I said keep it and buy another curtain for room 17. I do not think ours was the earliest checkout they had ever had by their response.
Please save yourself the expense, disappointment and avoid this shop of horror like the plague.

CDOB...

Room Tip: Book The Hotel Ragnum on the other side of the river...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CDOB10
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Overall, I like my experience in Hotel Gloria. Clean rooms, helping staff, quiet area.
The staff helped us out on several occasions and even allowed us to keep the room for a few extra hours, without charging us extra.
The food (we had breakfast there) is good, not the most expensive things, but it fits every taste.
As for the positioning, you make about 15 minutes to the city center, using metro lines. Don't take the tram, it can get pretty crowded and uncomfortable, especially if you are carrying luggage.
To conclude, it is a good choice if you are more interested in the city than luxurious accommodations.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I stayed at hotel Gloria with a friend. We wanted a city break and decided on Budapest. We are two girls in our early twenties, the hotel experience was chaotic from the start. We arrived quite late at night our room had two single beds and although it was dated seemed clean enough, although some lights didn't work and the other lighting was poor. We also found that they rarely put the heating on, take warm pyjamas the duvets are not thick and we were cold at night, at times we found it difficult to get a hot shower as well. The pillows were pretty much useless! None of this concerned me as much as the security though, the rooms are accessed by key cards some other guests told us that they were able to lock the door from the inside, but our room could be opened by the key card at any time. It had no chain like other hotels do. The staff are very friendly with one exception, where this member of staff was to say the least over friendly My friend and I felt very uncomfortable at times. We actually would dread walking through reception, one night in particular the receptionist rang and rang our room until we answered then tried to invite himself into our room! This made us feel quite vulnerable considering that we had no way of locking our room from the inside.
The breakfast which was included in the stay was ok most of the time. Until our last day they had ran out of juice, one boiled egg was left and basically unless you were happy eating bread and onions for breakfast you'd go hungry!
The hotel was located near a metro station which was ideal but not when dark, some of the surrounding streets made us feel uneasy in the dark.
This hotel is ok, but I wouldn't recommend two girls stay on their own like we did!

• Stayed: November 2012