“Interesting building & history lesson”

House of Terror Museum
US$295.00*
Budapest Communist Private Walking Tour with Historian Guide
Ranked #38 of 483 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum devoted to various historical terror regimes and practices.
Reviewed 27 February 2015

It’s worth the visit to the House of Terror whilst in Budapest, it’s steeped in history about how fascism& communism effected this country, not just during WW2, but after it. You learn quite alot, I had no idea of the shocking atrocities that were committed here.

The buildings roots are to the Hungarian Nazis! There is no holding back in here! There are some graphic images along with stories from people who lived through the time periods of war& communism, both equally as shocking. Although there audio guides available, I didn’t take one, this didn't bother me to much as there is extensive, & detailed info handouts in each section/area you go to.

The lift down to the basement area where you finish the tour is frighteningly eerie, and to see the chambers& rooms that victims were tortured& interrogated in chill you to the bone.

To see the whole building is around an hour or more& was priced around 1500HUF. I'll always say it was a highlight of my Budapest trip!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,085)

Reviewed 26 February 2015 via mobile

Many of the reviews complain of the majority of the museum being dedicated to communism but as a history enthusiast, these seems fitting in terms of Hungary's past. The Museum is very impressive both visually and in terms of layout, but I found myself somewhat at a loss to fully comprehend what was on show due to language barriers. As an English speaker I know that I should not expect everyone to cater for my needs but the museum offers very little information in English and leaves the average person lost in respect to what is really going on. It could be fantastic but a few more translated languages would be great. Worth a visit just to experience a building so seeped in history, but it offers very little more.

Reviewed 26 February 2015 via mobile

I had a few hours to spare, so thought I might go visit the House of Terror. I had previously been to Auschwitz-Birkenau and Sauchenhausen camps so thought it might be a bit take in comparison - but I was wrong.

This is not a traditional museum where artifacts are preserved behind glass. Each room seems to be an exhibit on its own, reflecting a side of life in Hungary under the Nazi and Communist rule. I had no idea at the atrocities that were committed here. The method is display forces you to feel what you are seeing rather than just glancing over it.

Plenty of info on handout sheets for English speaking visitors. I didn't take the audio guide and didn't regret it as the sheets were so comprehensive. Definitly a must do in Budapest, one of my highlights.

1  Thank colbs90
Reviewed 26 February 2015 via mobile

We paid extra for the audio tour and it was worth it. Hard to believe this was the headquarters of the Hungarian Nazis. This museum doesn't sugarcoat anything. A few pictures were graphic. The basement was eerie knowing what happened there. End to end, it took about an hour and a half but it seemed longer because you were going through so much history.

Reviewed 25 February 2015 via mobile

I'm so glad that I was in this museum. It's amazing. The whole concept of the tour through the museum from the top floor to the basement is great, especially the elevator ride with that scary story about torturing the prisoners! Tank in oil in the middle of museum is so effective and looks great. I have much more respect for a victims of WWs after visiting this museum! I would recommend everyone to visit Terror House!!!