“Definitely a great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Small-Group Budapest Caving Tour
Ranked #2 of 32 Nature & Parks in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hungary’s capital, Budapest, is famous for its hot springs all over the world. Many people visit Hungary’s famous thermal baths, but only a few know that the hot water rushing up from deep underground created something else too. In the limestone mountains, under Budapest, the heated water formed a huge cave system, which is thought to be more than 100 km long. The spas and caves of Budapest are planned to be declared part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The longest cave of Hungary is the more than 30 km (20 miles) long Pál-völgyi-cave system located in the Duna-Ipoly National Park. It is a real multi-level labyrinth system with most of its chambers under the residental districts of Budapest. If you aren’t claustrophobic you can apply for our regularly scheduled cave tours which are guided by qualified caving guides. During the 2.5-3 hrs long tours you will often have to climb on walls and crawl through narrow passages so you have to be prepared for adventure. You will be supplied with overalls, helmets, and lights. You don’t need to have any previous experience in caving.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Stuttgart, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Definitely a great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We can highly recommend the caving adventure tour to anyone in good physical condition. It's great fun and our guide lazlo was very funny and made us feel comfortable all the time.
So if you don't mind some bruises from the small passages you are crawling through you will for sure have a good 2,5 hours down in the caves.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank 910maaaa

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Hard work but amazing fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I don't think you would get caving like this in England! The guide made us feel safe and he certainly knew the caves back to front. He definitely made the trip a lot more fun and interested and was clearly very passionate about caving. Maybe less stories about people being trapped in caves though!

I had a lot of fun although it was hard work at times, involving crawling and dragging ourselves through spaces not much bigger than our bodies! The equipment provided was good and keeps you fairly warm in the caves, I enjoyed having a little head light (as the only light in the caves!)

It is fairly easy to get to although based outside of the city centre and we met them right in the city to get the buses out. The staff are really helpful and really nice and this was a very different and fun start to our stay in Budapest.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Faye F
Copenhagen Region, Denmark
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Worth it, even for someone with Claustrophobia.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I found out about these caving tours while googling fun stuff to do while in Budapest. I love walking through caves, but was initially put off when I realised it'd involved squeezing through tiny spaces. My boyfriend seemed very up for it however when I mentioned in conversation so I decided to be brave and just go for it, I am really glad I did!

We had Laszlo (or Latsi? I wish I could spell his nickname :D) as our guide. He said he'd been exploring these caves for 19 years, guiding in them for 12, and knew them like the back of his hand. It was very reassuring how confident and cheerful he was, and he kept giving us helpful instructions to help us get through the harder parts of the tour. Anyone who is a bit nervous should know the guides make you feel very safe, He suggested we took the harder route (decided by people's size and abilities) and as my group agreed. This made me a little nervous at first as while I am not big I don't work out at all...but we all kept up just fine! Laszlo also made a real effort to learn all our names and chat with us all which was really nice. I should point out that the more difficult parts of the tour are only 2-3 metres long max, so if you aren't fond of small spaces it's nice to know they don't go on for ages!

The caves were really fun to explore, me and my boyfriend both had an awesome time despite my apprehensions and are really glad we did it! My joints ached a bit the next day but that's nothing I can't live with. Thanks to Laszlo and Caving under Budapest for a brilliant experience :)

8 Thank Rosie_In_Denmark
Budapest, Hungary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“unique experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

very unique experience , just like exploring the underground tunnel network of a busy city , never tried something similiar before , wonder if you can get something like this else where ?

1 Thank Suvejano E
Wollongong, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing unique experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Had an excellent time with Cave Under Budapest! Our guide was great, cracking jokes along the way, but always making sure we felt comfortable. I am quite claustrophobic, and Ill be 100% honest, there were some times where I felt slightly overwhelmed, however whenever we had to crawl through tight spaces, I could see a bigger part of the cave through an opening, so that made me power through it. Our guide also told us he alters the path depending on the group he has (ie people who are bigger). It was definitely one of the coolest ways to conquer a fear of mine, and I would recommend it to friends and family :)

3 Thank GenevieveLouisa13