“Pleasant place to stay”
Review of Guru Hostel

Guru Hostel
Ranked #416 of 672 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay here very much. Very close to the metro station which made getting there easy. I stayed the first 2 nights in the 8 bed dorm, and decided to book for an additional night and was in the 4 bed room. Both rooms were great and very large in comparison to rooms in other hostels I stayed in on my trip.

Beds were comfortable, and double windows meant I didn't hear noise from the street at all. Common areas were near the rooms and small but comfortable. There is a fridge you are able to use, and tea was always available for free. Staff were kind and helpful in answering questions.

I didn't have any trouble getting in with the key, although the staff did recommend that I try using it when I arrived to be sure I was able to get in, rather than waiting until after they left for the evening.

They have laundry you can use for an additional fee, and there is also a bicycle available to rent if you'd prefer to use this to get around the city. I felt safe walking there even alone at night, and the price was very affordable. Would happily stay there again if I was ever back in Budapest.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I arrived in BUD without any accommodation booked in advance. I've just checked briefly and no doubt GURU hostel was considered to be my home in BUDa. Good loc, good stuff, good beds, good everything, and good price :-)
Thank you Guru, thank you Budapest :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Boris G
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The hostel is well located with around a 20 minute walk into the centre of Budapest and a stones throw away from the bars and restaurants in the Jewish quarter. Upon arriving to the hostel I had a little difficulty in locating the door despite apparently being right outside- though this may have been me being tired/dense it would be helpful to have a little more signage. The hostel is pretty small with the kitchen area in the reception area but it has a cosy feel to it. All amenities were clean and the bedrooms were comfortable. The hostel was very good value for money so I would stay again if returning to Budapest.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2014

perfect location, close to metro and everything. Staff are pretty quiet, do not speak much but helpful and always smiling. The moment I saw the room, I decided to stay for a week. 2 big couch in the 8 room bed, personal reading light and power plug. You are able to do light cooking, free coffee & . Basically, reception, kitchen, fridge and common area are all together, very limited space. Quite a number of Hungarian are frequent stayer. Although is small and only 1 staff working at all time, this small hostel is clean and with good security.definitely value for money.

Room Tip: Stay in the 8 bed dorm, the size is 4 times of the 4 bed dorm.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2014

If you know Budapest, this hostel is right on the Hexagon in Pest which, although about 25 minutes walk from the chain bridge, is fairly central. The Hexagon is a public transport hub with access to the entire city (and airport) easily by bus, tram or tube.

The hostel itself is located on the second floor and is hard to spot from the road with only a small eye-level sign next to the door. Early check in was difficult as the intercom was turned off from the night before and we had to wait for someone to leave the building to enter.

When we checked in we had to wait for the computer to arrive but that was fine as they have a cosy reception with selection of reading material and board games including Carcassonne. We could see into a four bed room which looked clean, light and spacious.

We were checked in to an 8-bed dorm (of which one bed was a double). The room was clean and functional and, for a deposit you can get locker keys. I would suggest offering your passports or some of your home currency as a deposit so that you don't get it all returned in local coin, leaving you stuck with it on your leaving day.

Bad points -
Although there are 2 toilets there is only one bath/shower room in which one is situated. This may cause some problems in the morning rush.

The two main rooms doors that open directly into the reception and the noise carries. coupled with the creaky floor it is difficult to keep to the hostels quiet rules. There is no way you could carry on a conversation anywhere in the hostel after the receptionist deems it quiet time. Our whispered conversation over a board game around midnight drew several sharp SSSHHHSSS's from reception which we thought were a bit of an over-reaction.

Could only of happened to me -
reception gave us the keys bud failed to explain that the keys are for the upstairs outer door and not for the street level door, nor that the numbers on the keyring were a code that must be punched into the panel outside the building, nor that the intercom is switched off at eleven. If you find yourself unable to get in or get an answer late on, the code is on the keyring and if that doesn't work the door is on a small EM plate locking system so a moderate barge with your shoulder will open it without damage.

Room Tip: Crack a window or 2 in your room when you check in and are not disturbing anyone's sleep. In ou...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kev B
Reviewed 12 January 2014

First of all, this hostel has a really great value!!! It's in a short distance from the city cetre. We practically walked everywhere. The receptionists were really friendly. There were three of us and we got a room for 4 just for ourselves. Everything was very clean, even the shared bathrooms... I left my favourite sweater there and they promised to keep it for me till the next time. Overall, a very nice experience! :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed at Guru for 3 days. It had a very good atmosphere. It was clean and the people in charge were very friendly and helping. The best of all is that it is centrally located, at walking distance from all important places of visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo