“Badly maintained, awful staff. Very poor.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostel Goodmo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
Hostel Goodmo
Ranked #340 of 651 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Badly maintained, awful staff. Very poor.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed mid-July for two nights. Staff at check-in were extremely pushy in trying to sell us tickets to a 'spa party'. First night was fine- spacious dorm room with reading lights/power/decent-sized lockers. In the en-suite bathroom the shower was broken, and hanging off the wall.

Second night, we were told to move to a smaller (more expensive) dorm room, though our beds in the larger, cheaper room remained empty. This room was somewhat cramped, with no en-suite bathroom and no reading lights or sockets. We had to use a dirty, perpetually flooded bathroom/shower room down the hall, which had only two showers between multiple rooms, and two toilets, one of which was broken.

We were woken around 2am by a drunken group attempting to kick our door down. This continued for close to an hour. Unwilling to go into the corridor and face a large, violent-sounding group, I tried to phone the hostel reception for help. This went un-answered.

Every member of staff we had spoken to at this stage was rude and abrupt to the point of hostility. On checking out we asked for our €10 deposits to be returned. A female receptionist called Zslez (sp?) counted out our deposits without handing them to us, then attempted to distract us with irrelevant chat before telling us 'OK, we are done here, goodbye.' Might have been an oversight, but it felt like an attempt to steal our deposits.

The rooftop bar and common room are good. But management need to sort out their staff, and maintain the place properly. Till then, avoid. Got to be better hostels in a city full of backpackers.

Room Tip: The building isn't really marked outside- first building on the left as you enter the little squ...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shaunsanderson

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

This hostel has amazing facilities including a spacious Lounge, kitchen and outdoor bar on the terrace. It was really great for meeting people and the staff organise a lot of events. Rooms were spacious and we had an ensuite. Location was good, close to supermarkets and a tube stop and walking distance to one of the main ruin bars.

• Stayed August 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

LIKED - Comfy Beds
- Spacious rooms
- Chillout room and kitchen are the best I've seen of any hostel

DISLIKED:
Difficult to find, in a small side-street - poorly posted and up several floors.
When I got there after a 13-hour journey, I was promptly told that they only accepted cash. Which wouldn't have been an issue had they have bothered to give even the slightest heads-up. So I had insufficient cash on me. I was then expected to rush out to the nearest ATM and get sufficient cash - which I had to find on the basis of some very confusing directions. I got to the ATM and found it was inside a CLOSED building. I made it back to the hostel and was then told (somewhat patronisingly) that I went the wrong way. I was told that it was "easy" to find the ATM, right next to the [place name I've never heard of and can neither pronounce nor spell]. I'd been in the city for less than an hour and was expected to somehow know it inside and out. When I visibly became fed up, I was told I could lay down a deposit and pay the next day, so I did.

Shame that night was one of the WORST night's sleeps I had ever had. Some loud, drunk party was going on and there were noisy, heavily intoxicated people barging in and out of my room all night. I managed to avoid losing my temper as a couple of them even tried to DRAG me out of bed. To make matters worse, the only one of them who tried sleeping kept making noisy (and suggestive) moaning noises in their sleep. I got about 3 hours sleep that night, and frankly came very close to asking for my deposit back and taking my chances with finding another hostel. I would have done, had I have known of any others in the area.

Another issue was with the showers. Men have only two showers between the entire hostel - one of which was broken when I was there. All they did was close of the room with that shower in for several days, even though simply calling out a repair man would have probably fixed it in a few hours.

Also, a word of advice to anyone staying here - if you bring your own towel, DO NOT LEAVE IT HANGING OUT TO DRY IN THE ROOM. Why? Because the hostel will decide take it thinking it is theirs. This happened to me, and after 2 days of trying to chase it up (and using their towels in the meantime) - I eventually got it back. They insisted on washing it before giving it back to me, and I was told it would be ready by the end of the day. I got there at the end of the day, and not only was it not ready - but it was very nearly given to someone else as part of their laundry. I only got the towel back at 5am the morning I left.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed for 3 nights a week ago and loved it! Good location in a pretty square and near tram and metro services, really social with a lovely terrace bar and very clean bright cosy rooms. On the Thursday night we got a free Hungarian dinner which was also delicious. Also walking distance from the best ruin bars in town! If in Budapest can not recommend this hostel enough.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I returned to this hostel for second time after staying there in the summer. It is a good location, staff are friendly and it is very clean. The terrace is great in the summer! The terrace is even good in the winter as they put a shelter over it I have stayed in this hostel twice both times with 6-10 others and will definitely be returning again. It's good for young groups of people looking for a weekend here and also good for those travelling on their own because it is so easy to meet people! They offer breakfast which it great however last summer it was included and now it isn't any more! There's a lot of stairs to get to the reception, there's a tiny lift but it's a bit creepy. It has lockers under beds for you things. Free wifi etc and a great common room that's really comfy so you can socialise and also a few computers!

Room Tip: Even the rooms with 16 beds are extremely spacious
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I returned to this hostel after staying here last year with a group of friends. I couldn't recommend it highly enough and both times the groups have been very impressed. The location is superb with a short walk to a metro station and a nice square outside with various eateries nearby. It felt like a more natural part of town and not so touristy.

The entrance is the only area that could confuse people as it is on the 5th floor of a building, but once up there the room are of a good size, comfortable bed and linens, nice and clean shower facilities and an excellent roof bar. Noise levels were pretty quiet considering there were two stag parties here. The free Wifi, cheaply priced breakfasts, the super helpful and friendly staff and the low prices make this place ideal.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

Its in a great location, easy to get to and walk around the city.
Staff are very helpful, big lockers nice and clean, breakfast was great for only 3 euros, beds were comfy too. For the amount it cost you can't complain at all!
My only drawback was the roof bar terrace wasn't open but other than that all the social areas were brilliant, very easy to meet people!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo