“Nice and big!”
Review of Hostel Goodmo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
Hostel Goodmo
Ranked #374 of 667 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have stayed in this Hostel for 6 days and I liked the terrace they have the most. You can drink nice beer in the shade for not that much money. Sometimes the hostel is organizing something like a diner. During my stay Greta Safrany made my a local goulash, it was very good. The rooms were good but very hot, I guess thats because of the old building.

If you are going to Budapest, this is the hostel you want to go to!

Lex

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostel Goodmo

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This hostel was a little hard to find at first - it was a short walk from a metro stop, but not very well marked. However, it turned out to be very much worth the search. The staff were friendly and SUPER helpful. They made things work when we found out our reservation hadn't gone through, recommended which bathhouse to go to, answered every single one of our stupid questions, and set us up with cooking lessons. (Speaking of which, the cooking lessons were fantastic - they run it out of a neighboring hostel but it is really cheap, casual, and everyone makes their own appetizer and entree.) The whole hostel was clean and neat, and had a huge airy common room, free computer access, a large outdoor patio and bar, and a really nice large kitchen.

We were in Budapest in the middle of a terrible heat wave, and while there wasn't air conditioning you could tell the hostel was really trying to keep everyone comfortable - all of the windows were kept open and they put fans in every room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erika B
Reviewed 13 August 2013

It's a bit hard to find, but the hostel is in a great location. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and very well informed. We thought we had a booking but didn't and the staff member sorted it all out and still got us beds for the same price. The room and bathroom were both nice and kept very clean. The breakfast was not included but their kitchen facilities were veeeeery nice and kept clean. There's good free WiFi almost everywhere. The common room is large and comfortable. We were there in the middle of a heat wave and although the place didn't have air conditioning, they did have fans everywhere and all the windows open.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank emilyb_28
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed mid-July for two nights. Staff at check-in were extremely pushy in trying to sell us tickets to a 'spa party'. First night was fine- spacious dorm room with reading lights/power/decent-sized lockers. In the en-suite bathroom the shower was broken, and hanging off the wall.

Second night, we were told to move to a smaller (more expensive) dorm room, though our beds in the larger, cheaper room remained empty. This room was somewhat cramped, with no en-suite bathroom and no reading lights or sockets. We had to use a dirty, perpetually flooded bathroom/shower room down the hall, which had only two showers between multiple rooms, and two toilets, one of which was broken.

We were woken around 2am by a drunken group attempting to kick our door down. This continued for close to an hour. Unwilling to go into the corridor and face a large, violent-sounding group, I tried to phone the hostel reception for help. This went un-answered.

Every member of staff we had spoken to at this stage was rude and abrupt to the point of hostility. On checking out we asked for our €10 deposits to be returned. A female receptionist called Zslez (sp?) counted out our deposits without handing them to us, then attempted to distract us with irrelevant chat before telling us 'OK, we are done here, goodbye.' Might have been an oversight, but it felt like an attempt to steal our deposits.

The rooftop bar and common room are good. But management need to sort out their staff, and maintain the place properly. Till then, avoid. Got to be better hostels in a city full of backpackers.

Room Tip: The building isn't really marked outside- first building on the left as you enter the little squ...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank shaunsanderson
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

This hostel has amazing facilities including a spacious Lounge, kitchen and outdoor bar on the terrace. It was really great for meeting people and the staff organise a lot of events. Rooms were spacious and we had an ensuite. Location was good, close to supermarkets and a tube stop and walking distance to one of the main ruin bars.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013

LIKED - Comfy Beds
- Spacious rooms
- Chillout room and kitchen are the best I've seen of any hostel

DISLIKED:
Difficult to find, in a small side-street - poorly posted and up several floors.
When I got there after a 13-hour journey, I was promptly told that they only accepted cash. Which wouldn't have been an issue had they have bothered to give even the slightest heads-up. So I had insufficient cash on me. I was then expected to rush out to the nearest ATM and get sufficient cash - which I had to find on the basis of some very confusing directions. I got to the ATM and found it was inside a CLOSED building. I made it back to the hostel and was then told (somewhat patronisingly) that I went the wrong way. I was told that it was "easy" to find the ATM, right next to the [place name I've never heard of and can neither pronounce nor spell]. I'd been in the city for less than an hour and was expected to somehow know it inside and out. When I visibly became fed up, I was told I could lay down a deposit and pay the next day, so I did.

Shame that night was one of the WORST night's sleeps I had ever had. Some loud, drunk party was going on and there were noisy, heavily intoxicated people barging in and out of my room all night. I managed to avoid losing my temper as a couple of them even tried to DRAG me out of bed. To make matters worse, the only one of them who tried sleeping kept making noisy (and suggestive) moaning noises in their sleep. I got about 3 hours sleep that night, and frankly came very close to asking for my deposit back and taking my chances with finding another hostel. I would have done, had I have known of any others in the area.

Another issue was with the showers. Men have only two showers between the entire hostel - one of which was broken when I was there. All they did was close of the room with that shower in for several days, even though simply calling out a repair man would have probably fixed it in a few hours.

Also, a word of advice to anyone staying here - if you bring your own towel, DO NOT LEAVE IT HANGING OUT TO DRY IN THE ROOM. Why? Because the hostel will decide take it thinking it is theirs. This happened to me, and after 2 days of trying to chase it up (and using their towels in the meantime) - I eventually got it back. They insisted on washing it before giving it back to me, and I was told it would be ready by the end of the day. I got there at the end of the day, and not only was it not ready - but it was very nearly given to someone else as part of their laundry. I only got the towel back at 5am the morning I left.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2013

A friend and I stayed for 3 nights a week ago and loved it! Good location in a pretty square and near tram and metro services, really social with a lovely terrace bar and very clean bright cosy rooms. On the Thursday night we got a free Hungarian dinner which was also delicious. Also walking distance from the best ruin bars in town! If in Budapest can not recommend this hostel enough.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends