“Hangover Cuisine at its finest.”
Review of Jack's burger

Jack's burger
Ranked #869 of 3,521 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: American, Fast food
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Excellent quality and price, if only they could pick themselves up and move to London! Brilliantly located and easy to find (which is handy because I always head back there when I'm in Budapest).

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I discovered Jack's Burger on my first trip to Budapest last October. I ate here one evening when I was cold, tired and hungry and was half tempted to just grab a McDonalds on my way back to my hotel. I spotted Jack's and saw that the prices were cheap, about the same as McDonalds etc and so decided to eat here instead. I did enjoy it and so ate here again for lunch on my first day in Budapest last month. The two meals couldn't have been more different though!

It's located just near the Basilica off the main side street leading to Deak Ter. There's plenty of seats both on the benches outside and inside, I chose inside both visits.

You order and pay at the counter, and you're given a receipt with your order number on. You're meal is cooked to order and your number shouted out when it's ready, they do shout the numbers out in both Hungarian and English. Any drinks you order are given to you as you pay. You do need to hand your receipt over to get your meal so keep a hold of it.

Both times I just ordered the cheeseburger which does comes with french fries. Both times I got a Soproni beer to drink, no glasses are provided you just drink from the can, it is really just a fast food place after all.

The meal comes out on a cardboard rectangular tray and does look like it's trying to be very trendy. If you want any condiments you had to pay for these when you order.

The first time I visited the food was lovely, the burger was cooked perfectly and really quite good, it was a decent size too, and much better than a fast food chain burger i.e. McDonalds etc, I also like that the burger was served on a broiche bun rather than a regular hamburger bun, the fries were good also and there was a decent sized portion of them. I left feeling like I'd had enough food, and that I'd enjoyed it and would go back.

The second time I visited the food wasn't so great, the burger was really thin and small and was actually quite tough and tasteless, the brioche bun was also a little bit dry and stale, also there was hardly any fries accompanying my burger. I had enough fries as it was only lunchtime, but had it been dinnertime or had I been hungrier then I wouldn't have been full enough. I left feeling disappointed as I'd enjoyed it so much on my first trip, and it seemed to have really gone downhill this time.

Prices are cheap though. Around €5 for my meal including the beer, so equivalent to a fast food chain. Even though it's cheap I wouldn't give it another go, there's plenty of cheap places to eat in Budapest. If you're reading this review looking for a good burger in Budapest then go to Burger & Love, you won't be disappointed (I've reviewed Burger & Love too).

First visit would have scored very good, second visit scored poor, so I'll even it out at average overall.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you don't wanna waste your time and if you wanna save your money for the tons of attractions this capital city has to offer, than you should definetely eat here. Clean and good fast food, cheaper and better than other more famous fast food brands!

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I liked this place, I really did.

Yes, the service was more 'slightly surly European' than 'have an awesome day American'.

No, the burger wasn't as good as the Kobe beef burgers served at The Mayflower in London.

Yes, the portion of fries was smaller than some might like.

But you know what? It cost me £3.50 for a decent burger with fresh salad, tasty relish, fried onions and all served in a brioche bun with a side of fries (and after you've eaten the burger, it was more than enough fries). Go to GBK and see if they can match that! Then order the chicken wings and compare them with the scrawny things you'd get in KFC....

It was cheaper than the American chains and a heck of a lot better. I know some people feel uncomfortable when they can't understand a conversation being held in front of them, so might like it more if they spoke Hungarian, but hey - the staff spoke enough English to take my order and that's enough for me.

All in all, we liked it and will be back to try the ham hock.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I don't usually eat junk food, but this time I did, and it was soooo good! So I have no regrets. The whole meal was just so huge and tasty. And considering the size, it was cheap! I would definitely go again!