“Avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #248 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2008

Booked this hotel at the tourist information office at Budapest East Train Station and was assured it was 3* and "central". First lesson, do not book hotels at Budapest East Train Station!

A terrible hotel, standards of service and hygiene were woeful. Out of around 20 employees at the establishment who I had spoken to during a three day stay maybe three of them actually smiled or were in any way pleasant and helpful (one guy behind reception and two young girls working behind the bar)

Breakfast was simply atrocious, there was a hideous smell of raw sewage in our bathroom (which was without a light for the entire stay) and despite complaints, nothing at all was done either to try and solve the problem or to move us to a seperate room.

We were four lads travelling around Europe so we didnot expect the Savoy but no way did we expect this place.

I would urge you not to consider staying in this place for one second, sleeping on the streets in -17 temperatures would be preferable.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank rhyd78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2007

Just got back from a 3 night stay, was worried after reading the previous reviews but couldn't complain too much for the price, rooms were clean, hotel staff helpful and wasn't too worried about the walk to the Centrum - took about 15 minutes but we found loads more in Budapest to see outside of the Centrum as well.
Breakfast wasn't too good but we weren't expecting a 5* meal, Hungary is cheap so we were quite happy to go elsewhere for our coffee.
Our only gripe was the noise from the trams at night, as the heating was on we like to sleep with the window open as we were only on the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel we were woken quite a lot by the road noise, the trams start at some stupid hour of the morning and make the building rumble when going past.
We would stay there again but it would have to be in the back of the hotel next time.

Stayed November 2007
4 Thank EurotrippersKent
Aviles, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2007

I stayed in this hotel with my husband only for one night, but we think it was enough.We were travelling from another city and spent our last night in Budapest in Atlas Hotel.Even the price is ok the hotel services are very poor.Our room was big enough, and quiet but the bathroom was very dark and nearly wihtout facilities,not hairdrier, for example.
The breakfast was awful,another travellers reviews tell exactly how it was, and the breakfast room was so plenty of people that we had breakfast in another room...
Reception staff were collapsed because there were lots of people checking in and out.
The location wasn't very good even there is public transport not too far from the hotel but the area wasn't very pleasant
So when I come back to Budapest I'll try to find better accommodation.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — service and location
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Milwaukee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my best friend as we made it to Budapest, the last city on our 3 city/10 day trip to eastern Europe. This hotel, by far, was the 'worst' hotel we stayed at during our trip. what really irked me what that it was a short walk to get to the nearest public transportation station, but that walk was not one you want to make alone at night. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'2" 190lbs, but if I was there with my girlfriend/wife I would have been really upset.

I couldn't find any good restaraunts within a walk of this place and ended up eating at McDonalds twice...ugh!

The breakfast was average at best.

I also think the bartender ripped off my buddy for over $20 when we bought a bottle of water at 4am when we were checking out to make it to the airport. We argued with the front desk with no luck.

The taxi the hotel "guaranteed' as part of their special program for travelers did not show up to take us to the airport. Turns out they don't guarantee anything, we had to get our own ride from a cab on the street and didn't get anything from the hotel. We were over 30 minutes late to the airport.

I'd recommend paying a little extra and being closer to the action.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank schneiks
Surrey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2007

I stayed here for a weekend on a stag do. It was also host two another stag and hen do. The standard of accommodation is good and I didn't have any problems with noise from any of the other parties. The hotel is also popular with older couples on budget city-breaks.

It's in a run-down and distant part of town, but cabs are plentiful and cheap if there are two or three of you sharing. The hotel also arrange an efficient airport transfer service for groups.

Breakfast is average at best. It seems they bank on most of the guests sleeping off the night before so items run out quickly. There is a McDonalds five minutes walk down the road which is probably a better option for a late-morning lard fix.

There is a pretty decent bar area which is a good place to meet up and have a quick drink. However, from early evening there are a couple of hotel employees who ‘oversee’ this area. I can see why they do it and I would imagine that they have had problems with rowdy stag groups in the past. The problem is that all groups seem to be subject to almost paramilitary style action if the noise gets above whisper level. Whilst the group I was with had no problems at all, I twice witnessed another party getting quite direct and sometimes physical action for simply sitting on the arm of a settee or laughing at a joke. I think this is disproportionate. I think that without the regular group trade the hotel would be struggling so I was surprised to see such an unnecessary approach.

2 Thank intentionally_blank
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2007

II spent 10 days at this Hotel thus giving me plenty of time to check
it out. When I first arrived i found at breakfast the juice was watered down, it was so weak you did not want to drink it, the coffee
was equally as bad. The selection at breakfast was very limited, no fresh fruit or toast. At times other very basic items ran out by 9.00am (breakfast was served until 10.00am) The restaurant only serves this meals so it shouldn’t have been hard to get it right.
The tables in the restaurant were not cleared away quickly enough, hence you had to push dirty dishes to one side to make a space and eat off stained tablecloths.

I complained to the front desk and things got a little better but soon slipped back again. One morning when the coffee urn was just warm with weak coffee in it and no mugs to put it in i spoke the Manager herself, she never gave me chance to explain all the things that were wrong, just walked off into the Kitchen and spoke to the staff. She never returned to speak to me nor during my stay did i see her overseeing anything, she just stayed in her office with no interaction with the paying guests. Cleaning of my room was another issue, under my toilet seat i left a small piece of paper and it sat there for 4 days. I left toothpaste in my washbasin and that also stayed there. Dirty marks on the coffee table in my room were never cleaned off.

The hotel is quite noisy due partly to the way it is build and also the type of guests that stay there, for example, people staying for a stag night or just a short break and then hitting the clubs. I would not return to it nor recommend it to my friends. I will say the
reception staff was excellent.

Helsinki
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2007

Concidering the price there was nothing special to complain about. There are always things which could be better as breakfast and maybe the beds. We were two couples visiting Budapest from thursday to sunday and we had no difficulties with getting everywhere with the trams or metro. We also want to recommend the Otthon Etterem at same street. The food was good an so was the service.