“The Best Botel in the World”
Review of Botel Hotel Lisa

Botel Hotel Lisa
Ranked #199 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“The Best Botel in the World”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The Botel helped make our trip extra special. It's cheap as chips and has everything you will need for your stay except for air con. Entertainment at night lasted until the small hours and was first class. Live music from Swedish rockers to football songs and at no extra cost. I would recommend sitting out on the veranda and watching the sun going down and coming up as you continue with the beer and party theme.

One tip is watch out for the decking as it will get you.

I can't wait to return to the best BOTEL on the planet.

Room Tip: Stay out them as your missing the party if your inside.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank K666ENT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Awkward location for visiting Budapest (the bus runs regularly). But the boat is on a lovely, quiet canal. Very relaxing. Staff is wonderful and the restaurant provides great food.We loved having a drink on the deck and watching the sunset.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms facing the canal are best.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dustytexas
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I stayed at Botel Lisa for six nights in July 09. It is easy enough to get to places of interest (Vaci Utca, Chain bridge, Fisherman’s Bastion) by taking a bus and either one or two streetcars which run frequently enough. Having said that, it still takes approximately one hour which makes for a tiring day, given that if one is taking public transport, it makes it difficult to go back to the hotel to unwind for a couple of hours in the afternoon and then go back out again. I booked this hotel because it was within my budget; however I discovered that there are a few places in the centre that are suitable for those on a budget. As one reviewer mentioned, the food served in the restaurant for dinner is good. As well, sitting on the deck with a drink is a lovely way to unwind after walking around all day. Two things that drove me a bit crazy while I was there: 1) the windows in my room couldn’t open and people smoked in their rooms which vented into my room and 2) the sound is terrible – anyone walking by or walking overhead sounded like a herd of elephants! One other small thing is that the towels were thin and frayed to within an inch of their lives!! Though it had many shabby elements, I have to say that there were no issues with the cleanliness of the hotel. As a solo female traveller, I felt relatively safe here; however I always made sure to come home before it got dark as I didn’t trust the area around the hotel to be safe after dark. The only reason I didn’t change hotels while I was there was because I had paid up front for this hotel and didn’t want to lose the money. Overall, I’m glad I experienced it but I wouldn’t stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Belgium
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I stayed in this hotel many many times. However many people claim the opposite, it isn't far from the town centre at all: 7km. But the Budapest traffic can be horrible. If you know your way, it is quite easy to find, just follow the Duna border all the time. The kitchen is good, I tried about everything and never had a dissapointment. If you talk to the chef on beforehand, specially when your with a group, you can ask what ever you fancy and he'll prepare it. When they expanded the hotel, still everything was running quite well. Parking problem is non-existant here, something you can't say from Budapest.
All those year János (John) was taking care of the hotel and reception and doing this very well.
Bad thing was when they changed the tap from Kaiser beer to the Stella, as a Belgian you're not coming to Hungary to drink Stella and Leffe!
So, stick to the Hungarain wines and schnapps.
Egeszségadra, Geoff Benoy/ Belgium.

• Liked — Relaxed athmosphere
  • Disliked — Too small fridge
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Lofasz
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We arrived there at midnight and if it wasn't for my sat nav I may have given up about 300 metres away. The last 300 metres is a little off-putting as you seem to be just heading on to a railway siding under a road bridge. But a right turn and a few hundred metres got us there. We liked it there. A no fuss man at reception gave us the room keys and tv control. Nice and quite there. Larger breakfast room than expected and also a great breakfast. A bit far from city centre, but it really suited us for a stopover after arriving at Ferrihegy airport.

• Liked — Cheap and quite
  • Disliked — Perhaps loacation.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank wearb
esslingen, Germany
Reviewed 31 July 2008

we've booked for a double room for 2 nights on the 25th and 27th of July 2008. The first problem that struck us was the location of the hotel. It took us 3 hours to get to the hotel from the Keleti train station. We didn't take an taxi since we have found the direction to the hotel on the internet but it was totally wrong! to top it all, it was 8 o'clock in the night when we reached Budapest.

With the help of a English-speaking Hungarian and two other tourist from Germany, we finally made it to the hotel, just to find out the the hotel is overbooked and that they have no room for us. The same happened to 3 other groups of tourist who came after us.

We were then transported to another hotel in some housing area where the room is of huge difference from the one we've booked, a small little bed room with 2 single bed. It was dirty and definitely uncomfortable to sleep in. The manager did not even bothered to apologize for the whole incident and just leave us there after taking us to the new hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gluttonie

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 July 2008

At the airport of Budapest it started already with waiting for the transport to the Hotel, after more than 1/2 an hour the owner came personally, to pick us up. Then he told us the Botel was overbooked and we had to stay for 1 night in another place, he showed it in a prospect and it didn't look too bad. Once there though, we became a horrible room, very small and my girlfriend felt very uncomfortable coz' the windows couldn't be closed, the beds were horrible and it wasn’t very clean. It was situated in the middle of nowhere (outer quarter of the city); of course the prospect was nicer as reality. Very positive was the kindness and helpful personal here. The next day, we were brought to the Botel, that looked better and we became a very nice/cosy and clean room.
The area around the Botel was nothing special but that we knew when we booked, so no complains about that and the public traffic was just 10.min. walking.
Rude we found, that we had to pay the ride to the Hotel (from the airport, 30 Euro), at least that he could have compensated. A free Beer or Coffee was offered instead, well that didn’t came also!
All in all, we liked the place but were very disappointed about the treatment of the owner; the personal was not the friendliest kind, 2 exceptions there (a receptionist and a waiter, who knew that the client comes back or do advertise the place, when your friendly and helpful). We will not come back there!

Peter Luurtsema, Switzerland.