“It has potential but I've stayed in better”

Locust Tree Apartments
Ranked #26 of 183 Budapest B&B and Inns
Prague, Czech Republic
“It has potential but I've stayed in better”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I chose Locust Tree Apartments based on the reviews here and the photos on their website. This was a mistake. The positive reviewers of this site must have been younger and more adventurous. I can imagine, if I were younger, travelling with my peers, liking this place. But now that I am older and wiser and travelling with an older and wiser crowd, these apartments are not the best.

The one bright spot about these apartments was the service. The man in the receptionist was quite helpful. He did not try to sugarcoat the situation. Let me explain:
1. The area surrounding the apartment didn't look the safest. Since I was driving a rental, I had apprehensions about parking it free on the streets. They do have paid parking but it was located in the basement garage of the building next door, Since I was travelling with my elderly mother who cannot walk too far, and since we were checking out very early the next morning, using this paid parking just posed a mountain of complications. The man in the reception could have scared me into paying 10 euro for their paid parking but he spent a long time telling me that my car will, most likely, be safe. Don't get me wrong, 10 euro is not much for parking. It was just the hassle of dragging luggage, a wheelchair, 2 dogs, to an apartment in another building, plus what to do with keys, etc. upon checking out at 6 am. As it turned out, I used the paid parking garage next to the front door. It was closer, cheaper, and the guys working there were most helpful.
2. I was having problems turning on the cooker. Even though the receptionist was alone in the office, he took the time to come over to show me how to turn it on.
3. He gave me all possible ways to connect to the internet, just in case their internet connection got low reception.

Now for the negatives:
1. I already mentioned the area. It wasn't the safest. To the left of our apartment was an empty lot used for parking. The view from the back was a rundown dilapidated building.
2. The apartment that was given to us was on the 1st floor. Upon seeing the apartment for the first time, the bars on the windows did not restore my confidence in this place. Neither did the broken door lock.
3. There were cigarette butts in the hallway just outside the front door. Yuck!
4. Upon entering the just cleaned apartment, I smelled an old used filthy pungent rag odor which got stronger when I entered the bathroom.
5. The dining room chairs were rickety. I was afraid a number of them would break. It's a good thing I lost weight.
6. The remote of the TV did not work well. I could turn the TV on but the off button was damaged. I couldn't find the on/off switch on the TV itself so I had to unplug the TV every time I wanted to turn it off.
7. Both mattresses were lumpy and very uncomfortable to sleep in. My mother slept on the sofa.
8. The walls were quite dirty. It looked like teenagers just had a drunken party there the night before, spilling beer and food on the walls.

All in all, as my mother said, the place has potential, but as it was at that time, I would not go back to these apartments.

Room Tip: NOT apartment 101
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jaredxtian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

we arrived to the apartment late at night after our flight was delayed by two hours,the taxi we booked through the apartment was waiting for us and took us straight there,the apartments are in a great location as across the road is a pub with live music,2 bars wit dancing and a turkish kebab house open 24hrs for the after pub kebab! there ws a supermarket too open 24 hrs if you needed anything.also there were 2 great and cheap restaurants next door!!
the apartments were spotlessly clean and had tv,dvd player and fridge if you fancy a night in after a night partying! we were there for only 2 nights so didnt stay in,but could of and hada good night.
easy to get to places as tram 2 and 4 would take you to the danube,you can change there fro tran 2 to the palace and gelert bridge and central market,.
budapest is a fab city and everything is cheap!
any questions feel free to email me! thomasanchovie@yahoo.co.uk

2 Thank alix187069
Perth
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Found this little gem through Expedia and was not disappointed at all.

As first time visitors to Budapest it was easy to get to from the metro station although the address we went to then redirected us to their office just down the street.

Check in was quick and the girl also helped us out with suggestions of where to get a drink ( and also gave us a complimentary block of Milka) as well as pointing out things to see around the city.

The apartment we stayed in was a 1 bedroom apartment for up to 3 people in a secure and modern complex.
All the furniture was modern, linen provided was clean, and a small kitchen with all the things you need to put together a basic meal.
Heating throughout was adjustable and the apartment had a decent hot shower although on our last day we had no hot water which no one came to notify us about.

We had a great time and it was nice to be able to come back and relax after exploring the city all day.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Even the apartment was big, it was verry cold and dirty; the apartment deeply need a paint; if you book an apartment with kitchen you expect to find an equipped one.Even it has the same manager of Nova apartments it's a big diffent between them.

Room Tip: The apartment 705 was miserable
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Bacau, Romania
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Me and my companions were very pleased by the housing, staff, its position in the center of Budapest. For sure for my next visit I will chose the same accomodation.

eeefde
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I visit budapest for the second time with 8 people and we had a nice stay in this apartments.
We visit the Ice speed skating europeen championchips and make a tour with the hop on/hop off bus.
There is a GOOD pub with live music when you come out of the apartments. The staf was very helpfull by printing out our tickets for the skating stadium and in the neighbourhood are good restaurants for dinner and also cheap places for a snack.
For this price an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Be sure you buy the right ticket for the bus or metro
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Timisoara, Timis, Romania
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I was impressed by the friendly staff and the apartment was nice and clean, with more facilities then I was expecting.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family