I chose Locust Tree Apartments based on the reviews here and the photos on their website. This was a mistake. The positive reviewers of this site must have been younger and more adventurous. I can imagine, if I were younger, travelling with my peers, liking this place. But now that I am older and wiser and travelling with an older and wiser crowd, these apartments are not the best.
The one bright spot about these apartments was the service. The man in the receptionist was quite helpful. He did not try to sugarcoat the situation. Let me explain:
1. The area surrounding the apartment didn't look the safest. Since I was driving a rental, I had apprehensions about parking it free on the streets. They do have paid parking but it was located in the basement garage of the building next door, Since I was travelling with my elderly mother who cannot walk too far, and since we were checking out very early the next morning, using this paid parking just posed a mountain of complications. The man in the reception could have scared me into paying 10 euro for their paid parking but he spent a long time telling me that my car will, most likely, be safe. Don't get me wrong, 10 euro is not much for parking. It was just the hassle of dragging luggage, a wheelchair, 2 dogs, to an apartment in another building, plus what to do with keys, etc. upon checking out at 6 am. As it turned out, I used the paid parking garage next to the front door. It was closer, cheaper, and the guys working there were most helpful.
2. I was having problems turning on the cooker. Even though the receptionist was alone in the office, he took the time to come over to show me how to turn it on.
3. He gave me all possible ways to connect to the internet, just in case their internet connection got low reception.
Now for the negatives:
1. I already mentioned the area. It wasn't the safest. To the left of our apartment was an empty lot used for parking. The view from the back was a rundown dilapidated building.
2. The apartment that was given to us was on the 1st floor. Upon seeing the apartment for the first time, the bars on the windows did not restore my confidence in this place. Neither did the broken door lock.
3. There were cigarette butts in the hallway just outside the front door. Yuck!
4. Upon entering the just cleaned apartment, I smelled an old used filthy pungent rag odor which got stronger when I entered the bathroom.
5. The dining room chairs were rickety. I was afraid a number of them would break. It's a good thing I lost weight.
6. The remote of the TV did not work well. I could turn the TV on but the off button was damaged. I couldn't find the on/off switch on the TV itself so I had to unplug the TV every time I wanted to turn it off.
7. Both mattresses were lumpy and very uncomfortable to sleep in. My mother slept on the sofa.
8. The walls were quite dirty. It looked like teenagers just had a drunken party there the night before, spilling beer and food on the walls.
All in all, as my mother said, the place has potential, but as it was at that time, I would not go back to these apartments.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only a 3-minute walk from the main metro line, right in the centre of Budapest, our comfortable apartments are perfect for those looking for a spacious room with extra services. Locust Tree Apartments offers private, self-serviced apartments in a brand-new building with a 24-hour reception. Our location, the high quality of the apartments and the reasonable prices provide the ideal combination for your stay in the Hungarian capital. Enjoy free wireless internet access, free laundry and cleaning, free coffee (ask at reception) and free champagne (if you give us your valid Skype address)! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Locust Tree Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Locust Tree Apartments Hotel Budapest