“Nice Hotel but Self-Catering?”

Queen's Court Hotel & Residence
Ranked #67 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Bedford
“Nice Hotel but Self-Catering?”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed here from 13th to 17 June 2012, having booked it as a part of a Thomas Cook holiday through an internet agent called WWTE. From the description we assumed there would be a fully equipped kitchenette so we could cook our own meals. I am a coeliac, which means I get an autoimmune reaction to even small amounts of wheat or barley gluten, so no bread, flour, pastry, beer; in fact most foods in Budapest are wheat based. We thought we might be able to heat food up in the room. There was a microwave with a grill inside it but it took us ages to figure how it worked and even then we could only cook scrambled eggs (took ages) and my special gluten free bread that I took with me. We bought salad, cheese and ham from the local Spar and had that for lunches. It was difficult putting anything in the fridge because it was also the minibar, and was packed with overpriced bottles of beer that I couldn't drink, tiny expensive bottles of wine and spirit, and some overpriced snacks that I couldn't eat.
For evening meals, the restaurant was very good. Nice polite English speaking staff who, once I had showed them my gluten free information card, were able to offer many of the meals on the menu without gluten. A typical meal for two with wine cost around 10000HUF ( £30). Not huge portions but very well prepared. The room was nice and clean with a tiny balcony that the armchairs in the room just fitted onto. The large bed had two seperate quilts, which was good. The only english TV channel I could find was the BBC news channel. The 'spa' downstairs was a nice touch, with a small pool with a jet at one end that I turned on accidentally and couldn't find how to turn off ( button in middle at top, under water). The jaccuzzi was nice. The sauna was hot (90 C) and I couldn't figure how to control it, but I still tried it. The small lift was very slow to respond. Did I like it? Yes. Would I return? Definitely, but I would know what to expect. It is only a short walk to the 4 and 6 trams outside, and the Metro 2 and 3 are at each end of the road. Great for getting around. We found a real quirky bar complex down a back street, packed with people and wine at 400 HUF a glass.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. Room 306.
Pleasant room, clean and with a kitchen. However, definitely not 5 star quality. Shower was poor, and not really adjustable.
Staff were ok.....generally a bit grumpy. We did not feel particularly welcomed to the hotel.
Area was nicely placed in central budapest.
All in all.....this place was ok, but I cannot see how it has been given a 5 star rating. 4 star at best.
Would probably visit again if the price was right.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aliqmul
London
Reviewed 15 June 2012

From arrival to departure this hotel is exceptional.The staff approachable & so helpful.The room tastefully decorated, spacious,comfortable & clean. Easy access to city centre, & good transport links.We loved our stay here, & highly recommend this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank NOEL K
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

It's dry difficult to explain why this isn't a 5* hotel, but it just isnt!!! The service is very good, and the hotel is very clean and well laid out, but it lacks 5* amenities and total quality. The price I paid through a third party website means there is absolutely nothing to complain about. The location is great for Andrassy St and close to both the trams and metro. The swimming pool is very small, and the gym also. The rooms are great, although the beds are a little disappointing. The balcony is very small, with no seats or table and none of the balconies appeared to be in the sun after 5pm. This review is certainly not designed to put people off staying, but if it's a 5* hotel you really want then there are others I would try.

• Stayed June 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We were going on a river cruise starting in Budapest and were arriving one day early. Through the recommendations of fellow travelers on TA, I booked Queen's Court and got a really good rate. We were not disappointed. This is a solid property in an excellent location, Dob Utca and Erzebet Blvd. Across the street is Corinthia Grand Hotel where we were staying for the next 3 nights (this is included with the cruise). We didn't choose to stay here for the first night; we wanted something more affordable. There are many pubs/restaurants, shops and very accessible to public transportation stops. The friendly male receptionist checked us in immediately and one other male staff helped us with our baggage to our room. Our room is a suite which has a separate living room with sofa and dining table, a small desk, free wi-fi, and a full kitchen. The bathroom was clean and has a luxurious feel. The bedroom was large enough for 2 people and the beds were very comfortable. The closets are spacious. The whole room is very clean and had that fresh scent. I've called from the receptionist from our room to check if they could hold our luggage when we check out the next day while we explore the town for a few hours. They said they would and there's no fee. The staff gladly provided us with a map and gave us direction on how to get to our destination. We were back after our walking tour to retrieve our luggage. We didn't use any of other facilities nor ate at their restaurant. Overall impression...they exceeded our expectation! Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Rehovot, Israel
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. I was immediately greeted by the friendly staff.
Even though my room wasn't ready yet, as I arrived well before check-in time, they made sure I was comfortable.

Once my room was available, I received a room in the gallery floor.
The room itself was very big and spacious, with a large bathroom (including a tub), and most important - it was very clean ! Sheets and everything else was replaced daily.
The only problem I had with the room is that the noise from the hallway peaks through.
This was a cause of concern on the first day where there was heavy traffic in my floor, but it wasn't a source of problems the rest of my stay. Just to clarify - you don't hear street noise at all, it was just a noisy next door traveler.

The breakfast room seemed small at first (maybe due to the large rooms :)), but only in the first day did I have to wait two minutes to find a spot. It had a great variety of food including different kind of eggs, bacon, cheese, fish, vegetables, fruits, cornflakes, breads, pastries and what not.
You can even special order eggs or french toast. The service at breakfast was nice and not overbearing.

The room itself has all the facilities needed to cook your own breakfast (or whatever), as you have a cooking stove, fridge, microwave and even a dishwasher. You can save that €12 each for breakfast.

The location of the hotel is in dob ut. very near to Kiraly Ut. which is not in the main tourist area, which is a good thing since it's lest crowded and everything is cheaper. It's 3 minutes walk from Oktogon metro station and it's two metro stops away from WestEnd shopping mall. It's very convenient to have both the 4 and 6 trem lines and the metro so accessible. I bought a 72 hour ticket for 3800 HUF and used the metro and trem a lot to get around the city.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Hasselt, Belgium
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Excellent hotel. Best quality vs price I ever encountered. An oasis of tranquility in the center of busy Budapest. Rooms are large, including a small salon and a kitchen with microwave, fridge,.. including pots and pans; flatscreen tv and safe. A reasonable size pool at the ground floor where you also can find a small sauna (excellent) and a wirlpool. We did not have breakfast at the hotel as there were many breakfast options in the neighbourhood. We had dinner once in the restaurant, quality was exellent and prices reasonable. Personnel at reception desk is very friendly and helpfull. Location : 5 minutes walk to metro station Oktagon and Liszt Ferenc ter with lots of restaurants and terraces. The shopping streets are about 15 minutes walk away. I can recommend it to everybody, and will certainly come back when in Budapest.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends