“New and in excellent location”

Novotel Budapest Danube
Ranked #66 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Excellent location within walking distance (20 minutes uphill!) of the Castle district, Margaret Island, the Chain Bridge.
Newish facilities so everything works including in-room Internet access, good plumbing etc.
Nice views across the river from Parliament , but have to pay extra for river view.
Limited good restaurants within short walking distance - need to go across to Pest side or uphill.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank BooksHampshire_UK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,784)

Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed at the Novotel Danube 2nd to 6th July 2008. We arrived quite late but kitchen managed to sort out a really nice sandwich. The room was just ideal, modern and very clean. The staff were polite and helpful and spoke very good English. The real bonus is the location, right next to the Danube, overlooking parliament and only a few minutes walk from the tram, train, underground and buses. There's also a really useful small shopping centre just around the corner. The only downside was the cost of breakfast which wasn't included in the Expedia deal. Continental style breakfast 8 euros but the full buffet breakfast was 17 Euros. We just bought a croissant from the local shop.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank JaneSally
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I am quite surprised with the good reviews this hotel got.
We got to the hotel late in the evening. Maybe because of the late hour, the receptionist was not in the best of moods. He wasn't rude, but could be nicer. But OK, I can understand that staff may be tired and sleepy at 11 pm. Then, however, we got to our room, which was incredibly small and had no wardrobe. When we put our suitcases on the floor, there was technically almost no space to move around the room.
The bathroom was very nice, spacious and clean and had both a bath and a shower.
In the morning it turned out that we have a beautiful view.. on the wall of a grey building. Down there, there was a concrete square with dustbins and smoking cleaners. I did not book a room with a view on the Parliament, but I didn't expect to get this kind of room anyway.. It was not Novotel-like at all.
Breakfast was fine except one little drawback - there was no cutlery on my table and as I couldn't find any in the area, I went to ask the staff. She was close to rude. Oh, if looks could kill... I wouldn't be writing this review now. :)
The hotel is not far away from the city centre, although if you don't like walking, you'd better find something even more central. The underground stop is nearby.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Itsybitsytraveller
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I stayed at the Novotel Danube from May 28 - June 1. I was attending a conference and had pre-booked on-line. When I arrived I upgraded to get a room with a view which cost an extra 30 euro per night. The room, on the 7th floor (there are only 7 floors) had a magnificent view of the parliament building which is exactly opposite the hotel across the river.

The staff were efficient and friendly; breakfast was good and the room was extremely quiet as well as being large and comfortable. There is a taxi service which the major hotels buy into and the drivers all seemed to speak English. They do, however, drive like the wind...

The taxi is a couple of minutes from a modern metro station. I walked to the National Museum (40 minutes) along the river and over one of the bridges. Watch out for the cyclists!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2008

I stayed at Novotel for 2 nights. It was a great hotel - service, cleanliness, and location perfect. It is approximately 10mins walk to the chain bridge. It is located on the Buda side, but don't let that deter you. Pest is literally a walk across the bridge and everything is around the corner. The metro is only a few minute walk from the hotel and if you take the red line - it's approximately 3 stops until you're in the heart of Pest.

The lobby area is fantastic - ask for a latte, they are great at the hotel and reasonably priced. Also, if you are flying into Budapest and are looking to take a taxi, go to the RONA TAXI booth, they will take you right to the hotel for approx 20 euro (from what I remember).

All in all, it was a great stay and I would fully recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to Budapest.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank sarbear77
Reviewed 31 March 2008

I searched tripadvisor website to find a suitable hotel for a 3day vacation with my familly (father and my brother). After searching for more than a week, I concluded that Novotel Danube was my choice...and it was the perfect choice. It is situated near the river at Buda side. We booked 2 rooms (1 single and 1 double). Our rooms were at 4th floor (smoking rooms). Even though we dont smoke, you could not feel that it was a smoking room_NO SMELLS AT ALL.
We arrived at 7pm, therefore we checked in earlier paying extra 50€ per room and they offered us free breakfast which really made us feel welcomed.
The room was big enough, had good heat and the bathroom was separated in 2 rooms (check my photos).
The breakfast was continental and offered different types of coffees (american, french, espresso, cappuccino). The last night we had our dinner at the hotel restaurant. It was good, quite expensive.
The hotel is very close (2 blocks) from metro station. At the metro station there is a groccery store. Don't use minibar's products (3 € for a 200ml water bottle).

Finally, I advise you to choose this hotel for your vacations in Budapest. Next time I visit the city, I will definetely stay there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Μαρία_
Reviewed 9 March 2008

A new hotel on the buda side of the city within 5 min walking distance from the red metro line. We booked a superior room without a view as the river can be viewed from the conference rooms or the bar/restaurant. The room was lovely, reception very helpful, we had a communication problem but recieved free drinks as an appology. The hotel has small gym with sauna (which you need to request to be turned on 30 mins prior to use)
Much prefered the Buda side and would definatly recommend this particular hotel. The staff are keen to help and will assist you with booking trips, taxi's etc.
The tram also stops just 100 yards from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple