“A Nice Stay”

Ranked #115 of 652 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A Nice Stay”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I had a great 3-nights stay at Unity Hostel in Budapest. The hostel was clean, not too small nor big, rooms were spacious and we even had our own showers there! I stayed in a 6-bed dorm, it was very nice and we had spacious lockers there. At night time it was quiet so sleep quality was definitely good. Kitchen was v-e-r-y well equipped and free breakfast was included to the price. So that was nice. And there were more than just toasts and jam, you could eat cereals, muesli, toasts,... and if you ever felt like coffee/tea/hot chocolate, you could just go and take some - no matter if it was breakfast time or the evening, it was all included to the price. There were also music playing in the background and a bit small but roomy enough chilling area with a comfortable couch, TV and a computer that didn't cost anything (the same with wifi!!) So I had a good stay. The atmosphere was nice cause it was a little hostel with not that many people. The staff was nice and helpful and they were around 24/7. I don't think I have nothing to complain! Even the location was unbelievably good (close to everything) and the building and the surroundings were so beautiful, and the most important thing; the price was very backpacker-friendly (6-8e/night)!!
Thank you! I'll definitely recommend that hostel to everyone. If I ever go to Budapest again, I would love to stay at Unity again. :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed here for about 6 days during my stay in Budapest and I really enjoyed my time here. The staff were incredibly friendly and great to talk to. They have some great advice and interesting perspective of their city. The dorms were fairly clean and the atmosphere was inviting for social interaction. The building itself is a bit old but it was still pleasant and a fun/unique experience. The location is incredibly convenient. I walked everywhere that I needed to get to (ruin pubs, museums, and tourist attractions). This place has become my go to hostel in Budapest.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was the first hostel I ever stayed in, so I was a little nervous about cleanliness and my overall experience. There was absolutely nothing to worry about! The people there are so friendly and fastidious about keeping the place clean and safe. The decor is warm and inviting and the overall atmosphere feels so much like home. I met several girls there also traveling alone and we all agreed that Unity Hostel was one of the most welcoming and comfortable places we had ever stayed!

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the top floor!!!It has a beautyful view of the music academy!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Wurzburg, Germany
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The first impression of the unity hostel was not bad: old house and generally not very clean but very cheap on the other hand. Unfortunately after one night I was bitten all over my body - there were loads of bed bugs. At first I didn't (want to) realize it and spent another night in this bed, the result being around 50 to 60 huge bites all over my body, much worse than your normal mosquito bite. The swelling stayed for more than a week.
When confronted with this, the staff told me they cannot decide wether the bites are actually from their hostel or from earlier visits. I checked the bed and numerous found dead and living bugs, as well as the typical black stains everywhere. We were then reluctantly allowed to stay in a double room for the night but had to go back to a totally packed 8-people dorm. In those two rooms we could also find some dead bed bugs, no alive ones though.
The staff told us there had been some pest exterminator a week ago, who started some sort of smoke bomb - but obviously that was not enough.
To make things worse, I saw that some poor guy moved into the bed I just left, just a few hours later. This is absolutely not acceptable - even in a low budget facility.

I definitely would not advise you to visit this hostel. Sure, bed bugs can happen everywhere but the least you can do is not giving away a bed which is infested...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Harry S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The place is very well located and at a cheap price. The rooms and breakfast is what you would expect from a typical hostel. Staff were very friendly and accommodated to our needs as much as they could.

Room Tip: Showers are located on the upstairs level, so try and get a room there, otherwise you'll have to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

If you can avoid this hostel then do. The only thing good about it was the staff and the size of the rooms apart from that it wasn't a great stay. The entrance into it is not very pleasant and the bathrooms aren't very clean. They also don't give you bed linen. They do however provide breakfast and free computer use. If I was coming back to Budapest I would stay in Wombats hostel and not return to this one.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank avidfoodie123
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 May 2013

The workers there were very friendly and the hostel is very well situated, however, we were badly bitten by bugs and now i´m suffering a lot because of it... sorry, but from my point of view, this hostel is worht it :(

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends