“sadly bad review and i have to tell about the bad things.”
Review of Broadway Hostel

Broadway Hostel
Ranked #147 of 644 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Olofstrom, Sweden
“sadly bad review and i have to tell about the bad things.”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

the location is very good, the staff are not that cool, the prices were half online, they wanted to charge me double saying the website is wrong. the room is so small, the shared ones are without a door, the bathrooms are marked with women only and the showers ? their rules states you will pay 200 euro fine if you make noise after 22.00 but they had loud music going on until 01.00 until i complained in order to sleep, the worker was drinking wine at that time. they will make you pay to keep luggage? who does that? since i booked cheap they tried convincing me there was no more free room for more nights, but apparently the website did have free rooms, in the bathroom you will find towels to dry your hands? eco friendly they call it haha!! if you get the private room it can be disturbing cuz you hear all at the reception.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We booked a four night stay at one of the apartments at Broadway Hostel after finding the apartment on offer on booking.com. At 124 euro's for four nights we thought it was good value.

The apartment itself was large and warm. There was a bathroom with a heated towel rail and washing machine, a kitchen equipped with cooking utensils, a table and chairs, a lounge area with sofa and TV, a bedroom with bed, wardrobe, iron and a balcony. There was a metro station, convenience shops and restaurants close by. Reception was open 24 hours and staff spoke English. Note that they don't accept cards, only cash. The bed was comfy but pillows and duvets were thin and we weren't able to have more pillows when we enquired about this at reception.

We were pleased with the apartment - it was good value, warm and had plenty of space. However it was a practical choice rather than a romantic choice and if we had been away to celebrate a special occasion I would have been disappointed I think.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clare Q
Holt, Missouri
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hostel is about two minutes walk from the Hungarian State Opera. If, like me, you're just looking for an inexpensive place to stay while opera-going in Budapest, look no further: this is it. The staff is competent, the beds comfortable, the bathroom & kitchen facilities perfectly adequate.

The downside of this location is that there are nearby venues pumping out a lot of noise during the small hours of the night, so getting & staying asleep can be a bit of a challenge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Broadway Hostel twice during a 3 week trip to Hungary. I'm a 60 year-old American guy, with an eternally young spirit, but I was kind of apprehensive staying at a hostel before I arrived. I stayed in a two-bunk compartment. I felt very comfortable and not out of place in the least. The facilities are quite basic, but the place is super well-run, quiet, and very clean. The staff at the front desk are all super polite, friendly and super helpful. They were all appreciative at me trying to speak first-year Hungarian with them, although they are all fluent in English. I found it to be very quiet, even when there were no vacancies. there are a couple of great places for breakfast next door. It is a 5 minute walk to the Opera Metro stop, as well as to the Opera itself. Maybe a 10-15 minuter walk to the Nyugati train station, 10 minutes to St. István Cathedral. My only complaint would be that the toilet paper is kind of industrial strength for most American rear ends. but I loved my stay here and will definado return.

Room Tip: Super economical place to stay, and this is maybe the BEST location in Budapest for any age group.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jaag3145
Terez G, Public Relations Manager at Broadway Hostel, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Jim,

thank you for your feedback ;) it was very nice meeting you. The staff was happy hearing about your review. We will see you next time, take care! Kind Regards, Terez
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have booked a bed in a 2 bed semi-private dorm (never ever heard about this room type ever) Turned out to be one of my best stays! it is a bunk bed whixóch is seperated from the other one by walls and a curtain, which gives you privacy. I appreciated a lot the girl's help at the reception. Very up-to-date people! Being in the centre, just right behind the State Opera, also a gave me a rush. Next time I'm here in the city, there is no other place, only Broadway Hostel for me!!

Room Tip: 2 bed semi-private
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Novi Sad, Serbia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

So, I just got back from Budapest this morning and had a 10 hour shift which was terrible just because I had no sleep the last few nights. :(

I stayed here after a lot searching as there was no room anywhere and I stayed with my girlfriend. Of course, we wanted some privacy so we took the private room which is right next to the front door and the reception. The walls are made out of plaster so it was not private at all and as it's on the ground floor and there were guest waiting for a bed next night, they were sleeping right under our window. Well, not so much sleeping, more like singing and laughing all night. It was too hot inside and we had to open the windows (which won't open all the way so it doesn't get any cooler when you do this) and had to listen to them all night.

Beds, oh beds... (facepalm) I'm 186 cm (6'2") and the bed was smaller than me (I'm guessing 180), my feet were hanging from the bed and it was sooo awful.

Toilets and bathroom: pretty lousy. There was no toilet paper the first night, they have only one towel you can use which looks like someone mopped the floor with it and the box where the tissues usually are has a drawing on it saying something like "There's no paper here as we're eco-friendly"... WTF!? Haven't you heard about hand dryers???

Staff: Well, they were ok. Their english was great and they were pretty helpful. They all seem to hate their jobs there, though.

Location: the only good thing but I was looking for a place to stay at, not a place from where I can have a 2 minutes walk to see something nice. There's an awesome bike rental shop near the Opera where you can rent a bike for a day for ~8 EUR which is pretty nice and the bikes are really good.

All in all, this is the first review I ever wrote and I had to do it as I'm pissed with this place... :(

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VladimirPavkovic
Terez G, Public Relations Manager at Broadway Hostel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Vladimir,

We are really sorry for what had happened. I’m sure that we could have solved the problems there might had been, if you could have let us know about that, right on the spot.

The windows- you couldn’t open wide enough- are like that in order to have only one entrance to the hostel, trying to avoid people unnoticibly coming in and out, for all our safety. Fans are available at the reception to ease the unbearable heat.

Beds:

We always encourage our guests to let us know how they feel and how the situation can be even better for them: to feel more like home and cozy! It must have been the busiest time in the year, when it could have happened, being a girl at the reception, not checking the toilett rolls more than once a day. But whenever anyone let the reception know that one is out of it, we are absolutaley there in a few seconds to fill the lack/absence.

Being eco-friendly is hardly a shame for us, we are using small towels instead of using either paper or electricity that much. We change them –at least- twice a day.

Our best intetion is always to show our guests a good time in Budapest!

We are looking forward to welcome you here, again, so we can prove, that our place is worth a visit. (if it is not worth twice a visit. Or 3 times.) Have a lovely day!

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

PP
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This is a smaller hostal with a good location. It is near the Opera metro station. There are a number of bars and cafes near the property and there was a lively nightlife scene near the bar for the younger crowd. My room was a large room that had 5 compartments that each held a bunk bed. My compartment was empty but for me so it was very quiet. Had a good night sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo